Frugal Village Forums banner

Preventing bugs in an apartment.

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Ponderer 
#1 ·
Is there a natural way to prevent Bed Bugs, fleas, ants etc from coming into your apartment? Or City has been pretty lucky so far but living in an apartment building I know if one person gets them it effects the whole building. I remeber being a kid living with my mom and sister in a basement apartment and having ants so bad. We would have it sprayed they would leave move to the person next to us they would have there place sprayed and they would come back, and so on. So I also have OCD and my thing is cleaning, germs,bugs etc. So I itch just thinking about it. So I figure the best way to prevent it is to have a good defense. I will finish getting plastic containers to keep my food in before the summer, like cereal, flour, sugar etc. So I know that should help prevent ants. But what about the others?

#2 ·
I read your subject line quickly, and did a double-take, because I thought it read, "Preventing HUGS in an apartment!"

I don't live in an apartment, but when I did, I had a pest control service come in regularly and spray perimeters. It isn't super expensive and to me, it was worth the peace of mind.

If you want an all-natural way of controlling bugs, I hear chameleons are very good at it. ;)

#3 ·
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/home-environment/133535-please-help-we-have-bed-bugs.html

We inherited bed bugs in the rental unit we have. We bombed weekly and they still kept coming. The neighbors had them and called an exterminator so in talking to him they use a dust that causes tears in the waxy protective coating of the bug and they die.

Greebo did more research and through the Village we found diatomaceous Earth. We sprayed it around the perimeter and every crack we could find. We dusted the furniture and sprayed the dust inside their sofa and inside the protective mattress cover. We are now bed bug free.

The bombs didn't help, the food grade DE will but it CAN'T be used around fish and other small insect type pets.

Reactions: Rhiamon
#4 ·
I just got rid of those teeny sugar ants by placing shelf paper (I used wax paper) on the shelves and putting boric acid and ground bay leaf under them. I bought cedar chips and filled old knee high stockings with them and put them in my closet for roaches. Spray all the baseboards regularly.

#5 ·
For ants I bag up sugary things, wipe down cupboards, floors, shelves, food jars with vinegar. I also am very picky about making sure there aren't any food, crumbs, juice dribbles etc anywhere to attract them.

#7 ·
I second D. E. Much healthier, too, except you do need to wear a mask when you apply because of the fine particles.

Ceashels, do you know where large quanitites can be bought? It sounds like you used a lot.
I usually buy the boxes in the garden centers in the spring, but they are so expensive and I need a lot (for earwig control). I'm open to all sources.

#9 ·
I second D. E. Much healthier, too, except you do need to wear a mask when you apply because of the fine particles.

Ceashels, do you know where large quanitites can be bought? It sounds like you used a lot.
I did the order.

The Best Organic Garden and Farm Supplies from Dirt Works. Your Home for Safe Natural Products for Land and Hearth.

Buy Diatomaceous Earth to kill fleas, ticks, bed bugs and parasites naturally

We got 10 lbs plus assorted dispensers. 10 lbs was way more than we needed. 1 or 2 lbs will do you.

#10 ·
I've been hearing a link that the DE may be hindering the bee population. So please don't use around items you want to attract bees to... such as veggie gardens and other flowering plants.

#11 ·
#13 ·
I used borax placed in small flat dishes on the floor where the cat could not get it. It is supposed to help with cockroaches. And yes I did find some my cat did not get at that looked like they ate the borax. Someone suggested borax because it was safer around the animals.

Bay leaves also will help keep bugs away. When you bring things like rice, beans, sugar, flour, etc., home you can also stick them in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any potential of bugs. I have done this and have never had a bug problem.

Just remember to keep the food shelves wiped up if food gets on them. Your landlord should be more than helpful if you get a bug problem like ants. But hang in there and try not to feel as if it will happen. Just prepare and prevent as much as possible.

I found a spider today and was able to dispose of it. Remember, the occassional bug will happen.

#14 ·
You might want to check your local pool and spa place for DE. It is a water filter treatment for pools and is sold in 50# bags. The only thing you will need to confirm is if it is food grade. I have not been in the biz for over 8 years now so I cannot remember for sure.

Many of the chemicals sold as pool and spa are in bulk and much cheaper than the same thing re-labeled. It is also the one of the cheapest ways to by calcium hardness increaser (calcium chloride?) which is ice melter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.