Frugal Village Forums banner

Home Parties

Tags
home parties
2K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  acabin42 
#1 ·
Do you ever host them? Go to them? Avoid them like the plague?

I have a friend who does quite a few of these home parties...last time was for Tupperware and last night I went to one selling very expensive makeup/creams. I did buy one thing at the Tupperware party that was a planned purchase. I told her I couldn't buy anything at the makeup party and she said no prob, just come hang out.

My friend had a few people RSVP but only myself and two other guests showed up. Of course after the sales pitch we're handed a catalogue and a pen...cue small talk and awkwardness on my part. With so few guests it was very obvious that I wasn't buying anything. One guest was also a consultant and had just placed a big order, so it was really just me and one other girl (who did buy).

All I could think is, am I totally rude not to buy something? Not that I regret not buying anything, but maybe I shouldn't have gone.

I don't get it...I know a bit about my friend's financial situation, as well as the other consultant friend's - both living beyond their means. The other guest I didn't know but she mentioned she's a single mom of two, and in school. I wanted to shout "Are you people crazy? We can't afford this!!"

So, should I keep going to help my friend "fill out" her parties (I think she only gets rewards for hosting if people buy stuff), or should I start being "busy" those nights?

See less See more
#2 ·
Different party plans work different way. Some she gets credit for you just being there, others she doesn't.

Some I like going to, some I don't. Some I don't go to but will place an order. You told her ahead of time that you could not buy so I wouldn't feel bad about it. Rude is when you don't tell her then go and make a bottom out of yourself complaining about prices (DH's family can embarrass the most tolerant person).

#3 ·
Ugh. I hate these invites. Presents such a quandry.

What I began to do at these parties is to buy a gift for someone---either for Christmas or a birthday, or whatever. I'm going to have to buy these gifts anyway----and even though the items at these parties are WAY more $$ than I would normally have spent, I feel like I can then order something, help my friend, and get a gift out fo the way. At makeup parties, I get some stocking stuffers.

My SIL was selling Arbonne for a whole year, and boy--is that stuff expensive and I wasn't impressed with the quality. She must have had 5 parties I was invited to. Ugh. I just bought gifts for people, and didn't go too far beyond my budget.

#12 ·
My SIL was selling Arbonne for a whole year, and boy--is that stuff expensive and I wasn't impressed with the quality.
Yep, this was an Arbonne party. I liked the cleanser, but at $50 for a small bottle, I'll pass. At least with something like Tupperware you know it will last forever.

I really like the idea of bringing munchies so I feel like I'm contributing. I actually felt worse about being "rude" to the lady running the party - it was not a good sale day for her. (But I suppose when you do that kind of business you have to expect some bad parties)

#4 ·
I actually hadn't gone to any in a long time..years but went to a friends Pampered Chef part Monday night. Nice people and a nice party but I'm just not into going to parties. I'm very much a homebody. I wasn't feeling well either. I always order even if I don't get to go though even if its just a small item. The items are just so overpriced imo.

I went to a friends makeup party a few years ago and she asked me to be her model. Didn't work out to well though. I had never used the makeup and I was allergic to it. Ick! I don't go to makeup parties anymore. Just tell them I'm allergic.

#5 ·
Totally up to you. I avoid them like the plague. But then, I avoid stores like the plague as well to resist temptation of purchasing in general.

#6 ·
I wouldn't go. It is awkward either way, but constantly going and spending $$$ on stuff you don't want and can't afford, is going to build resentment and put a strain on your friendship. Of course not going, or going and not buying, may build resentment on her side, so it's kind of a catch 22.

#7 ·
I haven't been to one in years. They seem to go in cycles; get invited to one after another sometimes, then never see one for years.

I can beg off the makeup and candles because of allergies, for tupperware or similar I sometimes look through the catalog to see if I want anything instead of going to the party. Other times I've just gone and bought something - even though there is no obligation I feel uncomfortable not buying when it is that obvious, which is the same reason I don't usually go to yard sales.

#8 ·
If she's really your friend, and she knows you can't buy anything, then she must really just want you to come hang out. :)

I'd continue to go.

If you feel like you're always going to your friend's house & mooching her party food, and not buying anything, maybe you can start taking some party munchies with you - I've done that a few times, makes me feel better about not buying anything.

Just continue to be honest with her -

As long as you can go and have a good time, GO, and have a good time!

jmho

#9 ·
I go if the product line interests me or if it's a super close friend or family needing numbers.
I don't go to these parties thinking that I HAVE to purchase anything so maybe that's why I generally enjoy them.
Honestly any hostess that expects her guests to automatically purchase a "token" gift is a bad hostess and shame on them>>>take a Fifth Avenue party for example...you wouln't catch me purchasing any "token" gifts from their parties unless LOL it's something I really want!!!!!

#10 ·
now I have to look up Fifth Avenue Home Parties - never heard of it.

:toothy:

I agree.

I have hosted quite a few parties, and have a friend that wants to have one for the items that she sells, but I feel guilty inviting people over to spend money - I don't WANT them to buy anything. - but at the same time, this girl NEEDS to make money - it sucks either way.

#13 ·
Nice stuff though wouldn't you agree? :angel:

#11 ·
I get invited about once a year by one of the girls my DH works with. I went the first year but skipped the last 3 parties. I was working anyway and wasn't about to turn down overtime to spend money on something I can live without. We live in the country in a farming county with a population of 28,000. There isn't a big demand for these parties. There's more to get excited over at our Farmers Sale Barn every Monday.:laugh:

Cat

#14 ·
Pampered Chef is the only home party I will consider. Sometimes my best friend has one and I order stuff without attending which is even better. lol

#15 ·
I don't like home parties. I usually don't need or want any of the items. If I do go, I buy a gift for someone or something small and inexpensive. It seems as though fewer parties out there or maybe I am not getting invited like I used to.

#17 ·
I remember going to one and was really amazed at how much the stuff looked like junk!!! So I never went again. There is just to much pressure to buy something. I think it really depends on what is being sold and if you really want anything being sold.

If you would rather not go just let your friend know that you are sorry but you really are not interested in anything being sold but you wish her well. If that does not work let her know you do not have any extra spending money.

#19 ·
I think the parties are fun. If I can't buy, I will tell them up front when I RSVP. You get to socialize, sometimes I win @ the games, & the snacks are yummy. Usually the hostess has gone to a lot of trouble cleaning her house. So I will comment on her pretty house. A couple hours out of the house, talking, laughing ...sounds good to me. :)

#20 ·
I avoid them like the plague.

Don't need or want anything that they are selling and I feel too awkward when not buying anything.

I did go to one Gold Canyon party a couple years ago (she got a 'body count' along with $ credit) but never again. WHEN I order the candles, I get them by the case and also get free shipping...................

#22 ·
I avoid most of them but there are a couple of friends that have them that I will go sometimes when they have them because they generally have enough people there that I don't feel the uncomfortableness that I do if I choose not to buy and the group is very small. Basically if someone is "looking for bodies" that's when I generally will be "busy".

#23 ·
I really hate those parties and avoid them whenever possible. I hate spending that kind of money and feel guilty if I don't spend money, so best for me to avoid them altogether. My closest friends know what a homebody I am so they rarely force me ;) to go.

#25 ·
I was raised with a strong sense of -- well, just taught never to be an imposition to anyone, so I avoid these parties like the plague and have never and would never host one. It doesn't matter what the host says, guests are going to feel pressure to buy, as you did. My DH once made me attend a Tupperware party given by his co-worker's wife and I bought some practical items which we have continued to use. The ridiculously over-priced stuff like Longaberger, etc., I wouldn't attend no matter what.

#26 ·
I never go to them anymore. I know I will want to buy and I don't know when to stop....so I stay away from the temptation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.