Frugal Village Forums banner

Called the hospital today..

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mauimagic 
#1 ·
but first A little background on what happened. About a month ago My dh smashed his middle finger. It was healing nicely so no problems there. Well last week he smashed his finger...yep same one. This time within a day it was swollen,purple and oozing stuff that we won't get into. Anyway I finally got him to go to the ER. The Dr. that was on call didn't make a great impression. He looked at it ( that was all he did)said it wasn't infected and sent my husband down for x-rays . The dr. looked at the x-rays and came in told us it wasn't broke. When he looked at the finger again, which had literally erupted in the wait and said "Oh that's interesting. "Guess it is infected. " The nurse took a culture and we were on our way. Skip to today. I haven't heard anything so I called the ER. Our doctor should have called us. Our doctor has no clue so I call the ER again. The doctor at the hospital never sent the culture out so now we have to go to the family doctor tonight after work. There is now a deep hole where the infection was and the finger is hard around it. I never even thought about calling about the tests. I figured they would let us know. Silly me!!!! Never going to that hospital again.

#3 ·
Whether or not you called or they called, not to have even sent the culture is definitely unacceptable. The hospital will have some sort of patient advocate office, whatever it's called. Call, find out, and report this to them. It won't help now, but may help others. I would also remind them of this substandard care when their bill comes in. Be sure you're not charged for that culture!

I'm generally pretty passive about poor service, but I work in a medical environment, and this just doesn't cut it.

#6 ·
Yes, complain in writing!

We received sub-standard care from a nurse in the ER of a famous teaching hospital and I wrote a letter of complaint to the Director of Nursing. I received a reply with apologies and the assurance that the nurse was spoken to.

Your complaint is so severe that I think a copy of the complaint letter should be sent to the state medical board that oversees doctors!

#4 ·
Oh, Big Hugs to you and your Hubby.

It bring back to my mind when little Miss smashed her finger.
Oh course when it did erupt the ER didn't think it was strange at all.

So sorry your experience has been less then good. Hope his finger is on the way to recovery again soon.

#5 ·
This isn't the first time I've had to deal with procedures that were not done and then charged for. The last time dh smashed anything, (yes he is good at this. Has it down to an art.) a 1500 pound log smashed his leg , tore the muscle and broke the one bone. The cut required 33 stitches to close. It was deep enough that they could actually put the sponges under the bone from the opening. I and a lot of others feel that they should have done surgery but they took care of him in the ER. It was work mans comp so I figure they just did what they had to do. The muscle was not repairable because of the way it was torn. I can't begin to tell you about the stuff they charged for that wasn't used. I finally called the insurance company because they were going through workmans comp and charging our insurance. They finally flagged his account and made sure. This is the only hospital within 40 miles so with the bad roads we went to the closest. Now I see they have closed the maternity ward AND the intensive care unit. Everyone has to be transffered to another hospital. I will let you know what we find out. Our family doctor finally got the x-rays and said that it isn't broken.

#7 ·
I'm sorry your husband and you have to go thru this.......... I broke my ankle a few years ago and was told it was not broken the person who read the exray was inept. I complained for a year about my ankle and it being swollen so I had another exray it was broken....dumb people.
I myself think you shouldn't have to pay anything. Since they didn't do anything
Fern

#8 ·
We are so at the mercy of those we get health care from and deserve to have the best treatment available. IMO all complaints and concerns should be in writing - things tend to get handled better that way. Hope the healing process sees his finger good as new. Please keep us updated as to waht is happening.

#9 ·
Oooh that sounds horrible! Keep us posted and definitely complain in writing.

#10 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back with an update. I lost the first one I posted. It must be out there floating around somewhere LOL. Thank you guys for the kind words and concern. That is why I like this forum.
Thursday night I took my dh to our regular dr. They made a special appointment for him. Our regular dr wasn't there but his associate was. She did more in 5 minutes than our whole trip to the ER. She cleaned the hole in his finger out really good and then took a pair of tweezers and opened it up to see if there was something in it causing the infection. She gave us extra dressings to bring home and another Keflex script. She looked at the x ray and said it wasn't broke but she is concerned about him getting a bone infection. The skin is peeling from the tip of his finger to the second joint which is from it being a crushing accident. He has to go today for another x ray. It is still swelled but it isn't shiny and discolored like it was.
Now dh wasn't going to say anything about the trip to the hospital, he's like that. Not me. I told the dr. about it and I guess they have been having problems with them too. Which is pretty bad since our family dr is CEO at the hospital When he finds out he's not going to be a happy camper. (He is an old fashioned family dr that will still make a house call if he has to.But he was on vacation.) I've been going to him for at least 30 years and he doesn't play games. All I know is that dh better not get a bone infection cause then they're going to have to deal with me. It won't be pretty. I'm too old to put up with any kind of crap...and I messed my back up which makes it even worse LOL. Thanks again

#15 ·
I hope he he heals quickly . Sorry for the substandard care. As eveyone has said go after them. Blessings and hugs.

#19 ·
Mahalo for the update - so glad he got competent care!!

Russ - is it possible that you have too much time on your hands or are you just a genius?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.