Frugal Village Forums banner

Another question about taxes...

818 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jennordhavn 
#1 ·
I babysat for like 4 months, making $270 a week. She is claiming it on her taxes (she wanted me SS number) so I assume I have to do something on my taxes about it to.

Is this going to make me owe a lot of $ you think?

#3 ·
You need to report it as other income, but no, last year your income was so low you'll likely end up owing nothing overall.

#6 ·
What was your combined AGI last year?

Unless the two of you combined, after deductions, made more than $68,000 the MOST the $270*4 will cost you in taxes is $162.

#7 ·
Listen - Ashley - if you haven't already, go to TurboTax® Tax Preparation Software, FREE Tax Filing, Efile Taxes, Income Tax Returns and register. Start a new return. It costs nothing UNLESS you see the process ALL the way through *AND* file. Let TurboTax guide you and answer ALL the questions to the best of your ability. If you get stuck, save and sign out, and come here and ask.

As you progress you'll see a running tally of your federal and state taxes or refund. It's easy. :)

And then if you like when done go ahead and file electronically - OR without charge you can preview what the forms will look like and fill them out manually based on their numbers.

#8 ·
You could also go to Internal Revenue Service and then go to their free file section. They have fillable forms if you want to try to go it on your own or there are a multitude of companies that will file your taxes for free if you made under a certain amount.

State taxes would cost you something but I believe you can just take the information from whatever site you use and go to your state's website and file from there....at least, I know you're able to here in my state. I always us the H&R Block Free File program....super easy to use and they save all your info from the previous year so you don't have to go searching for it.

I did end up paying for them to just file my state taxes because I had a raging headache at the time and 3 kids that just wouldn't leave me alone...so it was just easier to pay the $15 or so that they charged. The amount does vary though depending on how difficult your taxes are and if you have anything over a basic tax form I believe you may have to upgrade.

#10 ·
Not to be scary or anything but Wayne's mom won't be around forever.

Better to learn how to do your taxes yourself sooner rather than later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.