Frugal Village Forums banner

I am totally in shock.... gut punched...

3K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  madjen 
#1 ·
Got the news last night that my very first boyfriend was murdered yesterday. I felt like my breath had been knocked out of me.

We only dated a few times, but it was such a sweet first love. Then we drifted our separate ways. He came to see me once in college, and we realized that we would just be friends. But even then we didn't stay in contact. The night before I married Hubby, he dropped by the church at the end of the rehearsal. He said he saw the announcement in the paper, and just wanted to give us best wishes for a long and happy marriage. That was the last I ever saw him, and that's been 3+ decades ago. I had no idea where he went or what he was doing.

Then to learn that he was murdered in his own driveway..... I am just reeling. Have you ever been gut punched by some sudden news?

#2 ·
How sad, I am so sorry.

#3 ·
fHg - what terrible news - I am so sorry to have that shake your world.

#5 ·
Found out when two mutual friends contacted me. Glad I didn't have to learn it via the media.

#6 ·
So very sorry...that would gut punch me too. I know it would

#10 ·
I'm so sorry. Yes, I've had my world turned upside down before with sudden, unexpected news. You (as well as he) will be in my thoughts & prayers.

#12 ·
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My first love died last winter, I read it in the paper.. I hadn't seen him in almost 30 years & had lost track of him. Apparently he died in a homeless shelter. Even though I didn't expect to see him, it is different now that I know I will never see him. Give yourself a little hug, a part of your past is now truly gone.

#16 ·
I'm sorry fhg :( I've been caught off guard twice in the last few years like that...when my first boyfriend overdosed on meth, dying in the hospital a few days later and then last spring when a family friend's 18 year old son took his own life. I can't imagine how you must feel knowing that what happened wasn't self-inflicted... anger at the person who was gone has always accompanied what I've felt, which can't be the same as what you're feeling I'm sure. I'm really sorry...

#18 ·
I know now that I am not alone in feeling so strange about this. Thanks for sharing your stories, even tho some are so painful. I think the comment about realizing that a part of my past is truly gone is so appropriate right now.

Found out that the brother who shot him had become mentally unstable and violent. Also found out that this former boyfriend had become a loved and respected physican in his community. Truly a loss. I grieve for the family.

#20 ·
So sorry for your loss. I know what a shock it must have been..I have been in your shoes..At least your faith will help you deal with this loss..You never forget your first love no matter how many years you have not made contact. My prayers are with you and his family.

#21 ·
I'm so sorry this happened to him and so sorry for his family and friends. How terrible.

When I was in my early 20's, my high school sweetheart was killed in a motorcycle accident. He had been in my home a couple of weeks before. I took it very hard. His family were like relatives to me.

:hugz:

#22 ·
I'm so sorry.
I guess my biggest shock was when I heard my baby sister took her own life.

#24 ·
McD, that is exactly the case I am referring to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.