Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you have a Solar Oven?

Tags
oven solar
1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ladykemma2 
#1 ·
Do you have a Solar Oven? I plan to buy a Solar Oven in the next couple of weeks and would love to know what you like about your Solar Oven. Where is the best place to order one? What is a good size to buy? Where can I find the best price?

Thank you in advance :)

#5 ·
I want one really, really, really bad.

I'm actually going to let my 11 y/o make one from one of the hm plans but I still want a dual control one (electric back up if temp falls for some reason).

#6 ·
Reactions: shortstack
#11 ·
We used old oak wood from a grainery we tore down, to make the boxes - and a couple of old house windows for the "lens". I put them in a wheelbarrow, so I can move them easily and it provides an automatic incline to catch the sun's rays.

We lined the inside of the boxes with several layers of newspaper, then covered the inside with new/bright aluminum baking pans that I flattened. I got them on clearance after Thanksgiving.

I bake/cook with aluminum pots that I painted black with food safe paints.

#12 ·
I made a simple one, and will be buying one this yr. so thank you for the thread, and all the advice so far. Here is a blog I thought would interest you:

solar oven chef

Reactions: shortstack
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.