Frugal Village Forums banner

Talk about wasteful!!!

Tags
talk wasteful
3K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
My 17 year old was at school and his friend dropped his Ipod Touch and cracked the screen. His friend threw it in the garbage!!! Ds told him to keep it. The friend said he wasn't using an Ipod with a cracked screen and the warranty was up. Ds explained he would get the parts and fix it if the kid paid for the parts. Nope he would get a new one! So ds took it.

I called the parents to make sure they knew ds took it. Yep they knew. I told them it could be fixed for $14 in parts by ds. Nope they would buy him a new one and ds could keep it because it was junk and wouldn't have a warranty!!!!!

I ordered Ds the parts ($14). He fixed it and has a terrific Ipod Touch. Ds previously did same saudering and repair work on his friends cell phone because his parents wouldn't get him a new phone until the contract was up in 4 months. Ds is awesome at fixing electronics!!!!

Well here is the real clincher I know darn well his friends family is on every benefit they can get . I know because she told me she cut her hours a bit because she didn't want to lose the free lunch etc etc etc etc. How on earth can they just go buy this kid a new Ipod for hundreds when $14 would have fixed it?????

The bad part to me is what they are teaching their son!

See less See more
#8 ·
WoW I am jealous of your son! I wish I could repair like that.

Reminds me of my cousins growing up. Their mom didn't work and Dad didn't really provide for them either, he was too busy drinking. They had all sorts of toys and clothes, but it had all been given to them. They grew up thinking that is how you got things, people gave them to you.

I remember that whenever I got anything new one of them would always ask "who gave that to you?". That was their standard reponse until they were well up in their teens.

Amazingly, they all work full time jobs, one owns his own company and they make good money.

#9 ·
WOW!!! First of all-Congrats on the awesome new Ipod for $14, what a deal!! LOL!! Second, your ds is fantastic for even trying to fix stuff like this, it will save him lots of money in the long run, because he can do these types of things!

As for the other family, oh well, they too will crash and burn and will find out that not everything is just handed to you and their kids will see it too!

:) Congrats to you for teaching valuable lessons to your children!

Reactions: nodmicks
#10 ·
Congrats to your son and it seems perfectly ok for him to fix up the Ipod and keep it since you/we paid for it anyway with our taxes. One of these days those who expect a handout from everyone else will only be able to put their hand out and recieve nothing.

Cat

#20 ·
I'll have to ask him if he can do that when he is home from his date.

This story makes me sad. Your son's friend doesn't have a chance. It's not his fault, he's living life the way his parents have taught him and his adult life is going to be a struggle because of it
I agree!

Kudos to your son for having such great skills and talent!

He might think about putting his skills to work for him as I'm sure there are quite a few friends who could benefit from his talents.
He has done it for lots of friends as long as they buy parts. He says he wouldnt charge in case he messed up. I tell him it is broke already if you fixed it I dont see why you cant make a few $'s.

Honestly for those of you that say we have taught him well. Thanks! However I think the biggest factor is we MAKE him earn and buy those types of things himself so he appreciates them more I think.

He got to took a small electronics class and learn to sauder etc and took if from there practicing and using the net for more info. He also has mod'ed a few x box 360's. Those he did sell along with some custom face plates he made :) He has had his issues like all kids but he is a good kid with a good head!

#14 ·
This story makes me sad. Your son's friend doesn't have a chance. It's not his fault, he's living life the way his parents have taught him and his adult life is going to be a struggle because of it.

On the other hand. WooHoo for your son!! :clap: He has an amazing skill that will serve him well in life & it sounds like he has a great head on his shoulders (from your example!)

#15 ·
Ironically, after I posted this the first ad that popped up was an ad for Ipod & Iphone repair :laugh:

#18 ·
Kudos to your son for having such great skills and talent!

He might think about putting his skills to work for him as I'm sure there are quite a few friends who could benefit from his talents.

#21 ·
Way to go to your son. Keep encouraging his talent in fixing electronics. My dh was the same way. Now he is a broadcast engineer fixing and maintaining TV production equipment for a television station. He has done a ton of interesting things through work. Since he has a knack for fixing just about anything he has the nick name Markguiver (his name is Mark) after that old show McGuiver.

#22 ·
Big congrats to your DS, hes amazing to have even learned at such a young age not to be wasteful, to fix what is broken, instead of having to have something new. Must have a great role model in you! Congrats on a great ipod for 14 dollars.

#23 ·
What a wonderful self motivated son you have. Kudos to him! How very sad that the other kid didn't seem to know the value of a dollar, repairing anything, neither did his parents. Not a very good start for him, the financial world will be upon him soon, and he sounds like he will need more guidance then his parents are giving.

Good job on raising your son right.

#26 ·
You all are very nice giving us credit as parents :) I'm giving him all the kudos :)
I'm going to give you both kudos. I think you as his parents need some and so does he.
WTG to all of you.

#25 ·
I have know a family who receives nearly every benefit possible, will take anything that is free, is not afraid to ask for the shirt off your back, is very wasteful and appreciates nothing.

Your son is an appreciative and talented young man. He has learned what most adults have not. Kudos to him and you.

#27 ·
Congratulations to your son on the $14 ipod! That's awesome that he was able to fix it for not much at all! :)

I hope that your son will find a way to keep an interest in electronics. It will save him some $$$ in his future! My DH fixed our washer & water heater several times before we finally replaced them.

#28 ·
I think this shows that you've instilled the better values in YOUR son. Children learn from their parents and unfortunately all the other kid is learning is how to cheat the system and how to be consumed by a wasteful, materialistic mentality.

Good for YOU!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.