Frugal Village Forums banner

Getting through Winter

Tags
winter
2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  erinalexmom 
#1 ·
This year seems to be a very depressing winter to me.All it wants to do is snow,we have it piled everywhere.We get a few milder days and then are back to the deep freeze.I admit I am not a winter person,but I can usually amuse myself with indoor things I like to do.
Anyone else find this winter a little harder to get through?

#2 ·
Well I am doing okay except I miss my camper. We usually do alot of winter camping since we have all the heat and lights and etc we need in the camper but it has just been too darn cold this year.

Also, I have dogs that have to be taken extra care of due to the extreme weather.

I live in Texas for goodness sakes! Stop with the snow already!

#5 ·
Me!!!

There's too many problems.

1. Snow days. The kids have used up EIGHT of them-5 in January and one already in Feb! Granted, they're going to school until June 6th, but c'mon!

2. The cold. I can handle winter when the temps hover around freezing. I can even go out and enjoy my time in the barn when it's 33 degrees or so. But NOT when its 11 degrees out! I just spent 40 minutes outside in the barn and I couldn't wait to get back in the house!

Usually I spend my winter puttering around the house and planning things for Spring. But for some rason my mojo is GONE. I don't have any 'hot spots' to clean any more, but for some reason my garden planning and budgeting mojo is lost.

#6 · (Edited)
Unexpected problems,yes here too.A failed sewage pipe to the septic has resulted in a few weeks of problems.Now we are waiting for the plumbers to install the new pipes.This may take a few more days,and we cant send any water down.Its tough getting through the snow to dump buckets of water.Oh Spring, please get here!!!!

But for some rason my mojo is GONE

Now thats how I feel too,good way to put it.

#9 ·
I am normally a winter person, but this winter has been too much! The kids can't go outside and play because we have belowing freezing tempertures everyday due to the windchill! They have missed a bunch of school because of all the snow we are getting, and when it finally gets somewhat warm, then it rains, which of course turns to ICE and then we have more 2 hour late starts due to travel safety!

This winter has been brutal, we've had like 4 blizzards and 4 mini-blizzards since December, it's just getting to be too much, and the kids and I are running out of things to do inside!!!

#11 ·
It has been an excessive amount of precipitation, both solid and liquid, this year. We were up to our eyeballs in rain at the beginning of winter, now we are up to our eyeballs in snow. My mother said this morning I might as well go back to homeschooling the kids, since they're home more often then they're at school anyway.

So, yes, definitely a long hard winter. I think it's particularly difficult because last year it barely snowed at all.

#12 ·
Definately tired of winter. Get up and leave in the dark and come home in the dark. Daylight seems like a thing of the past. Right now I am spoiling myself and have the shades up letting the sun shine in. For about two weeks I was running around feeling like I was coming down with something and extremely tired. Today am finally starting to feel better.

#16 ·
Here's how I get myself through-
First CANDLES! I fill my fireplace with candles and keep them lit. Something about that flame - the natural light of it - makes it less depressing. (I have major allergy issues, these are just plain unscented candles, cheap ones)
Second, I try to keep busy as I can and esp. make plans for spring - outdoor projects and such. I have time to really plan and plan WELL, makes the time go faster.
Third - and most importantly - spring training starts in just FIVE MORE DAYS!!!!! Woo-hoo!

#17 ·
I take Vit D 1000 mg daily to help me get thru the winter so I won't get SAD! It's cold out today was 0 when I woke up with a wind chill of -15 BRRRR!

#18 ·
Do you craft? Make homemade Christmas or birthday gifts? Maybe try making handmade cards for family members for holidays?

Do you garden? Flower or vegetable garden? You could start a notebook of your gardens, rough drawings of what is planted. Plants you would like to plant, future beds, etc. Start some seeds indoors. Maybe this will help you think of spring.

Just some suggestions.

#20 ·
I have everything here that I need to keep occupied.I sew,knit,craft,cook and bake from scratch everyday.I have a game room,nintendo WII with all the sports games,also have a dance floor in the rec room where we dance(stepdancing and clogging) with videos and music to learn more dances.I garden and have a Greenhouse,grow ALL my plants from seed,plus I overwinter my tropical plants in the basement.
No its not a lack of things to do,it is a lack of desire because I feel down about the weather.And yes we take the vitamin D.
I an guessing that Spring will be the best medicine for this feeling.

#22 ·
Its been a hard one for me. We've had a lot more snow than usual plus I've been sick off and on since before Christmas. Just can't knock it. I've been in the house way to much this winter but when we do have a decent day I haven't felt like getting out.

#23 ·
I am really going crazy! First off my kids are off the hook!!! Crazy!! Plus I am crazy busy right now! I have been working extra hours at work, planning my sisters wedding reception, babysitting my nephew on my days off and crafting like crazy every spare minute I have.
My dh just got a job after being layed off for the last year and a half so I have decided I will cut back my job by 5 hours weekly for every bill we pay off. So I am looking forward to that. I will be able to give up some hours at the end of Feb and I cant wait! My dh also has been working overtime since he started the job and it looks like he will be working 6 days a week for awhile. My daughter also goes to a hybrid school which is homeschool 3 days a week and "real school" 2 days a week. Its an exceptional school but very demending of my time (which is already limited)
We are also going on vacation in April so I am ready for that!
So I am ready for winter to be over, but not just for winter but also so I can finally get a break!! I usually also can handle the stress a bit better when I can go out some but right now its way too cold for that! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.