Frugal Village Forums banner

Keep it? Sell it? Big Van question.

557 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  chowder 
#1 ·
We have a 1989 Ford Econoliner. It's in good condition with power everything, good tires-everything but a good battery. Back in 1989, it was the picture of "Luxury Van". It also gets about 16 feet a gallon. :cowwave:

We have 6 kids, so we needed a back up munchkin hauler. We have a Chevy Venture that is my main vehicle. My Venture has 86,000 miles on it and is also in good condition.

We don't have insurance on the van, nor have we transferred the plates to IL. We moved here 15 months ago and haven't seen the need to title, liscense and insure a vehicle we never use.

DH has a 1987 Ford Ranger truck. It has 207,000 miles on it. There's little things going wrong with it like the heater is going out and there's no AC. It's not a big deal for us because he only drives the truck twice a week to work, but it's an hour each way. I use the truck to haul things like hay and auction finds 1-3 times a week.

My question is this: Should
1. sell the van for $1250, put the $$$ in our emergency fund until it's properly funded and then use that $1250 as a down payment on a newer truck.
2. sell the van and truck and put it on a newer truck
3. wait until the truck is about to die and then trade them both in on a newer truck.
4. ?????

WWYD?

(And mods, feel free to move this to an appropriate category.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well if it were me I would go with number 1.We had a car that was in pretty good shape but had bought a truck.The original car needed a bit of work,which we were planning on getting done and then selling it.Well by the time we got around to doing it,the car had other issues from sitting idle so long.Ended up we only got $200.00 for it by someone who only wanted the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.