Frugal Village Forums banner

Any luck painting over panelling?

947 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  AliMac 
#1 ·
The rental house I live in has knotty pine panelling everywhere - walls, ceilings, and in every room (kitchen and bathroom included). The landlady said I could paint over it, but I've been researching it and it seems to be a huge project. I've also got small kids and parrots in the house so I've got to be careful with what kind of products I use. The panelling is all shiny like it has gloss on it or something so I'm assuming that would have to come off first.
Anyone ever taken on a project like this before? What did it cost? How long did it take? Was the change an improvement?
Every winter around this time I start going stir crazy because the house is so dark and there aren't many windows. I feel like I'm living in a cave!
Thanks for your input :0)

PS Moving is not an option because rent is only $800/month and I've got two dogs. Hard to find another place that would be as good a deal.

#2 ·
My dh painted our paneling and it turned out great. He said there is a thing called sizing you put on so the paint will not sink into the paneling. We had dogs and children at the time and it did not affect them.

Not sure of the cost because we did it quite awhile ago. Prices have gone up

#4 ·
We used to live in a mobile home circa 1960, that had paneling in the living and bedrooms. I decided to paint the paneling in the bedroom. All I did was scuff the surface with sandpaper to roughen the glossy surface, dusted with a tack cloth , tocuhed up some small holes with a light weight spackle, and painted over.We lived there 12 years and never had trouble with the paint peeling off.

Editing to add: there are many low VOC paints on the market now that emit low to no fumes and are much safer for humans and animals.

#5 · (Edited)
Our renters painted the paneling in our rental, it wasn't shiney tho. They just put a coat of primer on then 2 coats of paint.
This was a dark gray color, must say it really lightened up the house. It was 8 years ago so the cost was alot cheaper than it would be now. It only took them a weekend to do it, and that was doing the living room and the bedroom. We havent had any trouble with it peeling off, and it washes well.

If you have a coating on it you will have to roughen it up before you apply anything, using either sandpaper ao maybe steel wool.

Have you checked to see if theres anything on you tube?

#6 ·
We having not had such good luck here painting paneling. Painting paneling can sometimes make the paneling buckle/bend. The paint store said you can prevent that by something but I can't remember what.

my advice talk to a paint store person.

#8 ·
I bet you were doing it on sheet type paneling. Knotty pine should be solid wood and not have that problem. We had great results with painting paneling - you will be amazed how much it will improve the looks of the house - I would go batty with all that wood too!! :)

#9 ·
I've never done it, but the last place we rented had paneling throughout (basement suite) that had been painted a light beige color. It was obviously painted over paneling, but it was very nice and light in that basement! I can't imagine how dark it must have been before they painted it.

#10 ·
I've done this in a couple of different houses. You need Kilz or perhaps another specialty primer for painting over varnish. The right primer is the key. Then you can use acrylic paint over that. yes, it's more work than painting a flat sheetrock surface, but so worth it in my opinion. Most paint store employees or someone behind the counter at Lowe's should be able to point you to the correct primer.

#11 ·
I have painted wood paneling. I just went over it lightly with sandpaper to get the gloss ruffed then I prime coated it and painted..It did take 2 coats of paint. I went from brown wood look to white. I didn't try to hide the groves in it because I painted them a pink for a little girls room..I didn't have any problem with it pealing..I also painted over the vinyl panels in my kitchen. I made sure all the grease was off it by washing it down good and letting is dry for several days..Then I primed it and painted it. It never peeled and I was able to wash it after 6 months with no problems. The Vinyl was a large pattern and it too took 2 coats to cover even with the primer. I even used a wallpaper boarder around the top of it..

#14 ·
I've painted the paneling in my bathroom...cheap stuff...twice and its done just fine with no peeling. Just scuff it up with sand paper, clean off well with a tack cloth, prime with a good primer, and paint. I used Ace paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.