Frugal Village Forums banner

Losing my job

Tags
job losing
1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Lynn4 
#1 ·
Hi everyone... I used to hang out here every day, then 'real life' interfered and I got too busy. I would visit often and lurk, never losing touch with my frugal roots!

Well, my job of 20+ years is ending next month. So I'll have plenty of time on my hands to visit... and of course pinching pennies will be more important now than ever. Jobs are scare in my area (and everywhere else, I suppose).

I'm confident that with some of the frugal skills I've learned, I can keep my household running on just one salary. But it is scary... I'm trying not to stress out :dis:

#2 ·
It's nice to hear from you - but not liking the circumstances. Your attitude sounds great and that is a terrific place to start!!

#3 ·
(( hugs ))
Sorry about your job, but you did get a little notice. Gives you a some time to prepare. I am guessing you will get UE. That should keep you going for awhile. Tighten up things NOW, and set whatever money aside you can for a EF, if you don't already have one.

My part time UE money, ran out last May, and I snugged up our budget before my UE ended, and managed to set aside a EF. Hubby does have a good job, but it's low income and yet, we still make ends meet. Not sure how sometimes, but I know it can be done. Everything is paid on time. Back to basics, having simple needs, and making sure purchases are needs first, priority.

#4 ·
I am glad you are back, but sorry about the circumstances. Big hugs and blessings to you. I am glad you have a little time to prepare. I hope something comes along for you that will be perfect if you chose to look again.

#6 ·
Nice to hear from you but sorry to hear about the job loss. By putting needs first and getting advice from the smart people here on FV I am sure you will do fine until the next great job comes along. Hugs to you. :hugz:

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about the job, and yes like OP's said you know ahead of time it's going to happen and can plan. Another thing on your side is you have FV and know how to use it. Maybe putting in applications now will help in finding something, anything. Keep us informed and hugs.

Cat

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about your job loss. I just went through it myself, 19 years and no warning. I had an inkling something could happen, and I have been preparing for a couple years--just in case! Glad your husband is working. Mine is in graduate school, defending in June. He's under contract to teach summer and fall and then who knows-kinda scary. I started freaking out for a while, but I realize I'm starting to relax a little. To work all my life and then nothing--took some adjusting mentally. Now that I have all my finances and scenarios figured out I feel much better and can enjoy being home!!! It's nice to be able to get things done without feeling like a chicken with your head cut off! I'm afraid I will like being home too much and sad when I have to go back to work.

Hope you are soon able to get to the point where you feel comfortable and can enjoy your time off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.