Frugal Village Forums banner

Follow-up photos of sons' new apartment

980 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bluebuff 
#1 ·
As promised I will be posting before and after photos of the apartment.
I have uploaded some of the photos.
Unfortunately you cannot see in detail how bad it actually is for example how grotty the tiles (wall and floor) in the shower are.

Absolutely everything in the apartment will have to be done,
from the bare floors (remnants of paste of carpet)
to the ceilings (filled with cracks)
to the doors (need to be painted)
to the kitchen (wall out and completely new kitchen)
to the shower/toilet (will be replaced and broken through).
All walls have to be plastered/painted.
All doors have to be painted.
There is no heating AT ALL in the apartment so they will be having central heating/warm water installed.

As I said at the start to them, this is a PROJECT!!! and they scoffed at my negativity but when we were there with the contractor, they stopped laughing. Believe me I am not negative, it is a great apartment, but it is a project.

As soon as dh sends me the rest of the photos from his phone I will post them.
Here is the link
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/members/dutchie-albums-photos-new-apartment-my-sons.html

See less See more
#2 ·
That's MORE than just one project.... speaks the voice of DIY experience! LOL They are going to have fun and will be cussing themselves out often enough to make it a memory for the entire family to remember. It looks like a fairly nice apartment .... layout and structure and aside from the kitchen and bath... the rest sounds like it is cosmetics.

Will they be doing some of the work themselves? It is an incredible learning experience. :D

#5 ·
They will be doing a LOT of the work and have started. Because of regulations here they will be having a contractor break through the walls and get rid of the debris. As it is they are busy in the apartment every night. The 5 layers of paper have to be removed and all the doors/posted have to be stripped and painted.

#3 ·
Oh Dutchie, that is a project! I love the layout and looks of the apartment though. Did he purchase it or is he renting it? I remember when I was in Amsterdam, the couple I had met just bought an apartment and I was surprised how tiny it was compared to American apartments. His looks fairly large though. What a great learning experience for him!

Looking forward to the after pictures. :)

Reactions: Dutchie
#7 ·
The 'feel' of the place is good and it is solid. Your are correct about Dutch houses and apartments. They will be living almost in the center of Rotterdam and it is around 750 sq ft. which is not huge but definitely a good size for an apartment in the city and for the price that they got it at.

Reactions: Debbie-cat
#6 ·
To be quite honest the photos make the place look WAY better than it actually is.
When I first saw photos on internet I too thought that they should try and save it. Unfortunately it is extremely dirty linoleum and not tiles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.