Frugal Village Forums banner

How many of you use dry milk?

Tags
dry milk
2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Missy 
#1 ·
My family does not drink "dry" milk. If your family drinks "dry" milk kudos to you!

Instead, I mix it to use in recipes. You can make "cream" by mixing half the water. It really cuts down on the fat content.

~Dry milk is wonderful when making cream soups and if you do not have Campbell's cream of whatever on hand.

~Baked goods. It also adds protein.

~Alfredo sauce and cream clam sauce.

~Basically whatever recipe calls for milk, half and half, or cream. I've never had a problem.

#2 ·
I use dry milk almost exclusively. It's hard to buy milk in anything but gallons and half-gallons here, and with just the two of us, we don't need that much at one time. I'm not a milk connoisseur, but I've found that the dry milk tastes fine if it's been cooled overnight.

Reactions: ravenmaniac
#4 ·
I used dry milk half and half with whole milk to save money when my husband was living and it tastes like 2%. My daughter's family that I live with would be horrified !!

#5 ·
Not a fan of drinking it straight unless I have to. We use powdered milk in bread machine recipes, for cooking & for "emergency" use. Really nice to always have on hand.

#10 ·
I was raised on nothing but non-fat powdered milk to drink as a child, and consequently, I always thought I hated the taste of milk!

Now, I know there are lots of ways to use it (besides drinking it straight) but every time I look at it in the store, it's always more expensive than fluid milk. I guess this is just one of those things where the price varies wildly depending on location, since other people say it's cheaper for them than fluid milk.

So, I'd like to buy it to have on hand to use in recipies, but I don't.

Kara

#13 ·
I was going to buy some but it seemed really expensive. We don't drink milk so it would have only been for cooking with. I decided I would just buy milk on the occasion that I need it.

I use water instead for: mac & cheese boxes, condensed soups, some baking recipes if its a small amount anyhow.

#19 ·
I use water instead for: mac & cheese boxes, condensed soups, some baking recipes if its a small amount anyhow.
I have never added milk to mac and cheese and we like it exactly as is -- have no idea if we're missing something wonderful or not :) Same with some condensed soups calling for milk, even tomato. To tomato, I will sometimes add leftover rice, and, of course, freshly ground pepper.

At Walmart, the price of dried is just higher than liquid. At shoprite (a grocery store in the nj, pa, conn region) powdered is about 50c a gallon cheaper. So I buy it at shoprite and use it for cooking. 50c is 50c!
Yes! and that you can take to the bank! (And yet so many people -- not FVers, of course! -- lose sight of this :) )

#14 ·
I don't use it. We only drink whole raw (not pasturized), non homogonized milk from grass fed cows. Haven't found a box of that dried yet :D

#15 ·
My family will use dry milk no problems. We only buy skim and if the dry milk is really cold, they don't notice a difference. Of course, we don't usually use it for drinking. It's mostly used for cereal in the morning.

I use dry milk for cooking and making sweetened condensed milk.

#17 ·
I am getting ready to purchase another box of dry milk. I will definitely look at the price and compare it to fluid milk. I think it is crazy how dry milk can be more expensive than fluid.

I do like to keep dry milk on hand.

#20 ·
I use 2/3c of dry milk every morning in my coffee. I must have 2c of milk every day, because of my vit D deficiency. I will mix up a qt when I know the grands will be coming. Mix the night before & store in a glass container. They drink it without problem. Aldi's dry milk comes out to 3$/gal. or 5.99 per 8qt box. I can go to a bulk food store near me & buy it 2.99 for 8 qt in a bag. I store it in a glass container with a 1/3c measure in it. (='s 1c) Of course when I'm there-I buy about 6 bags @ a x. Savings of 18$ over Aldi's.

#21 ·
Reactions: Shelli_wnj
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.