Frugal Village Forums banner

Turning down a $.99 item

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  heartofmine 
#1 ·
Well, I thought I would purchase some plantain chips when I purchased my newspaper. The person at the convienence store rang it up for $1.19. I pointed out that on the package it states $.99. They guy says well yes but you have to include tax. Which I stated was $.07 on the dollar. They guy says I don't know that is what they have it keyed in here at the register. So I tell him I don't want it.

He seemed more upset with me know. Ended up walking away thinking that because of a 12 cent difference I walked away from the chips. Not sure if I was standing my ground on principle or if I have become so frugal I will not go for the 12 cent difference.

Anyone else find themselves doing this?

#2 ·
Yes, when I point out the error and they don't seem to care, that's what bothers me most. I want it corrected so someone else isn't overcharged.

#8 ·
Yeah, me too. All the way........and I am not above throwing a 'hissy fit' about it......and asking for the manager.

Our state recently started charging sales tax on "certain candy" ( a real complicated piece of legislation)........and Rite Aid was charging tax on one of the wrong candies (I had the list from the computer).......ended up with the manager when I was charged. (the law has since been vetoed by the people)

The manager tried to make me feel petty, and guilty, by saying...."well, if that 8 cents is that important to YOU"...........I told him a PENNY was important to me if they were ripping off HUNDREDS for hundreds of dollars over the course of the month! Damn I was pi-----------!

Being a consumer NOW takes so much more energy than it should.....between the RECALLS..........wrong prices.....KNOWING the prices........and the untrained/uncaring personnel!! :thud:

#4 ·
Just after Christmas, I wanted to buy some chocolate bars from the discount bin. They were those big fancy bars, a mix of white, milk, and 70% cacao bars, so I thought I would pick some up, one of each. The sign said "3 for $2.49", regular price was something like $2.50 a bar.

I put them on the counter and kid rang them up. Nearly $8. I asked her to try again, she asked if I still wanted them. I said yeah, but not at that price. She rang them up 3 more times and kept coming up with the same price. I mentioned to her that they were "3 for $2.99" not "3 at $2.99". She told me that it was the same thing. I explained to her that it wasn't, and that was the purpose of them being in the discount bin. She finally gave in and kind of rudely said "I guess we'll do it your way".

I was kind of shocked by the lack of basic understanding of the english language, let alone basic retail.

Funniest part was, when I went back to the convenience store later that week, the "3 for $2.49" had been scratched out and now read "half price". I guess they had a hard time getting their staff to understand the meaning of the word "for".

#5 ·
Just after Christmas, I wanted to buy some chocolate bars from the discount bin. They were those big fancy bars, a mix of white, milk, and 70% cacao bars, so I thought I would pick some up, one of each. The sign said "3 for $2.49", regular price was something like $2.50 a bar.

I put them on the counter and kid rang them up. Nearly $8. I asked her to try again, she asked if I still wanted them. I said yeah, but not at that price. She rang them up 3 more times and kept coming up with the same price. I mentioned to her that they were "3 for $2.99" not "3 at $2.99". She told me that it was the same thing. I explained to her that it wasn't, and that was the purpose of them being in the discount bin. She finally gave in and kind of rudely said "I guess we'll do it your way".

I was kind of shocked by the lack of basic understanding of the english language, let alone basic retail.

Funniest part was, when I went back to the convenience store later that week, the "3 for $2.49" had been scratched out and now read "half price". I guess they had a hard time getting their staff to understand the meaning of the word "for".
Oh dear. Well that's definitely disheartneing.

Honestly, if it's something I really need/want then I'd just buy it, but I'm getting much cheekier about this kind of thing :laugh:. If the shop assistant isn't able to give me a reasonable explanation for the disparity in price once at the till and it's a significant enough difference, on principal I'm not going to buy it. You let that kind of thing go with with enough items it's certainly going to add up and I really do not like being overcharged :angry:.

#6 ·
I'm with you. I wouldn't buy the chips either.

I went to Target last night - for the "buy 7, get $5 g/c" frozen deal

I counted & recounted several times throughout my trip, to make sure I wasn't loosing count.

I even counted as I put the items on the belt, in GROUPS of SEVEN

Each time she hit 7, the computer prompted her to scan & give me a $5 g/c

So at the end, she only had 6 items left on the belt.

OMG - she didn't ring something up -

I'm not about to give up my $5 g/c.

she was NOT happy. but you know what? I'm not the one that screwed up. It's NOT my JOB to scan the dang items.

I gave her the cheapest frozen item in the cart to rescan, but I have no idea what she didn't scan.... again, NOT my JOB. UGGGG!

I guess I wouldn't be so ill about it if I hadn't tried to make it easy for her in the first place by putting them in groups of 7. She just wouldn't have cared if I didn't get that last g/c.

She only questioned one coupon though, so that was good.

all in all, woman didn't like me very much :toothy:

#9 ·
I'd let him ring it up, keep the receipt and send a letter to the state department of revenue. I bet an audit would get their attention. Also, if it was a chain type of place, CC the corporate office.

#10 ·
Absolutely!! I never allow anyone to overcharge me.
I bought 3 oil changes for $50 in December. My dh got the oil changed and they charged him $5 for an oil filter. I called the mgr immediately after he got home and got my $5 back

I also went to Aldi last week and the sign said mushrooms were $.69. I bought 2 sliced mushrooms. I got home and my receipt said $1.69 EA. Since you cannot call them I immediately emailed them and said that was the second time I was overcharged for produce. (the last time I caught it before I went home) They called me and I said with gas being over $3 a gallon I cannot keep going back to the store to correct these errors. They said the sliced mushrooms were more (THE SIGN DIDN'T SAY THAT) They are giving me the difference back plus a free pack of mushrooms plus a $10 gift card.

#12 ·
They are giving me the difference back plus a free pack of mushrooms plus a $10 gift card.
"tay: WAY TO GO GIRL!!!! :clap:

Once again,.........SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE!!

It has worked for me ----almost always!

My friends say I don't 'go shopping"........I go terrorizing!! But if they are going to
have SLEAZY pricing policies (IE: the 'sliced' = more $)........then I will yell.......OR MISPRICED items........or EXPIRED items........

or .....and THIS ONE really gets to me...........you are in the store the MORNING the ad comes out........and they don't have the item!!!

Winco here is NOTORIOUS for marking down 'certain flavors' of yogurt.....the rest are normal $. I took two of them back (the next time I went shopping there) when I got caught in that (always have my receipt!!)........and got not one word said about it........but still let them know I thought their pricing policies SUCKED!

#11 ·
shoiji,

Yup, I've done it. Remember that horrible experience at WalMart I had recently? During it, a $1 coupon for Huggies wipes wouldn't go through, so I told her I didn't want it.

BTW, I never heard from the store manager about my complaint email.
Nice.

#13 ·
I wouldn't have bought it on the principle. I also would have called for the manager and if that didn't settle it the 1-800 for the corporate office. AND asked for their names. Even if it didn't do any good it would sure make me feel better. It's not like I'm going to invite them to dinner.
The price is what it says. If it's a misprint it should be honored and corrected on register/sign after the fact is caught...NOT while in transaction.

#14 ·
It's not a popularity contest - while I'm not going out of my way to be rude to anyone, I will go out of my way to assure I get charged the prices offered. I will not go to one cashier at Safeway because of her nasty mouth - should have gone to the manager about that one.

In any case, I have no problem whatsoever in just leaving an item if they are not charging the stated price. If we don't look out for ourselves - who will?

#16 ·
I bought some candles on clearance at Walmart Friday that were 10 cents each. 2 rang up for 50 cents and I immediately pointed it out. I told her there was a whole box of the same color sitting back there with 10 cents on it. She didn't argue but rolled her eyes.

...and btw I never did get my gift card from KFC for my biscuits they left out of our order last time. We live to far to go back and pick them up so they said they would send us a gift card. Looks like its time to email them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.