Dentist pulled teeth - crying girl - tuggs at your heart
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Dentist pulled teeth - crying girl - tuggs at your heart

I was heading to school for a celebration day. I recongized one of Little Miss's classmates. Her face was swollen and she was crying. I ask her if she is okay and she shakes her head and says no. The nurse is sending her home. I ask why? She says the dentist pulled two teeth today. She started crying harder and trying to comfort her I say "I bet mom and dad have some medicine to give you that will help" she replies "I don't think they do."

Pulls at your heart strings. What can you do? You can't show up at a classmates house especially when the parents speak a different language and hand them pain medicine.

Did some more talking about this girl's dentist trip that day with Little Miss. The girl had no idea the dentist was going to pull her teeth today. She thought he was going to fix them. This leads to a discussion from other class mates ( after the girl left for the day) many seem to nod their heads "that is what dentists do. They pull teeth". Sure enough I look around today and many people children and adults are missing teeth.

My kids have all of theirs as do I and Hubby. My kids are pretty sure the dentist just gives tooth brushes.

This leads me to ask, Is it common practice for those on Medicaid or uninsured to have dentist pull teeth instead of fix them? If so why?

Are more Girls going home from school after visiting the dentist because their teeth were pulled, going home to a house that may or may not have medicine for the pain?

This just breaks my heart.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 19 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a number of perfectly healthy teeth pulled as a child due to spacing concerns, and plans for orthodontic work.

ETA: The only time I've been given anything stronger than OTC pain relievers was with my wisdom teeth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrabjousDay View Post
    I had a number of perfectly healthy teeth pulled as a child due to spacing concerns, and plans for orthodontic work.

ETA: The only time I've been given anything stronger than OTC pain relievers was with my wisdom teeth.
    That leads to another observation and question.

Buddy said at the middle school only a small handful students has braces (his school has 400 students per grade). At Little Miss's elementary school no one has braces.

Does Medicaid pay for any orthodontics? I'm pretty those without dental insurance would have a hard time paying for braces. Could be done but would be hard.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my state, Medicaid will only cover orthodontic care that is deemed medically necessary. The majority of orthodontic care is considered elective.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is just crazy! dd is 8 and had spacers put in and an expander and now has braces on the top and will eventually have a lip bumper on the bottom. while we have dental insurance, ortho is not covered...we just put down $500 and pay $135 per month...now i do understand alot cannot afford this, but, come on, it is your childs mouth and teeth. we feeldental health is quite important and are willing to (and thank goodness, can afford to) pay out of pocket if need be.

how can ortho be elective? awful. so sad.

lots of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders around here have braces. some even wear them twice. once in early grade school and then again towards 8th grade. very very common to see 8 yr olds w braces

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I vaguely remember friends that age having a tooth removed since it was still a baby tooth for some reason I cannot remember.

A friend of mine just got her dentures in and it was paid for by medicaid. Every step of the way had to be approved prior to any procedure being done.

Unfortunately if you do not have good insurance it can be very expensive to have any type of dental work done. If have two molars out. Since I am still able to eat I have no plans on getting them replaced. Just greatful they are in the back and not the front!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can only tell you may story.

Yesterday my child had a tooth pulled.
    Several months ago I noticed a cavity upon a visual inspection.
    I looked because a flier was sent home in her back pack for a FREE dental inspection. I called and got an appointment. They inspected the tooth and told me to expect a call from a local dentist to do the work. THIS WAS MONTHS AGO. Still no call. When I called to ask about it, I was told over 200 people were ahead of her. All the while the decay was getting worse.
    I got tired of waiting and as soon as I had the funds I purchased a dental policy and took her to the dentist. He then said he could not do the work because he doesn't do root canals on baby teeth. ( she is 9 ) . I then called my insurance to ask where too go, they sent me to the wrong place. NOW we are on dentist number 4. They do not accept our insurance.
    So now what was a simple cavity has turned into a major problem.

The issue with baby teeth is that most of the time a root canal fails and the tooth must be extracted anyway. The cost for a root canal is around 2,000. The cost for extraction was 340 dollars. In about three years her adult tooth will come in.

As for why a parent wouldn't have any pain meds I do not know.
    But I can tell you her tooth was pulled yesterday at 4pm and she has experienced no pain and not needed so much as an aspirin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Friends of mine have their children on All Kids Dental, a version of state funded medical and dental for children in lower income families. I do not recall any of them having teeth pulled. Actually, I know several have had fillings done on their cavities. I would think pulling teeth would be a last resort. But, I'm not a dentist and could very well be wrong.

As far as orthodontic work, this program does not pay for it.

We have a great dental plan, but it does not cover the first penny of orthodontics. When DD had her braces put on eight years ago we paid the full $5200 in full, up front to avoid finance charges and to have it out of the way. DS is getting invisalign braces over the summer and we are paying for his the same way.

DD had her top two front teeth removed at 18 months. These teeth had no enamel on them and her dentist felt it was the best route. She had a bridge put in, but later learned how to break the cement and pull it out. By age 2 he said just let her go without the bridge since he had put it back in about a dozen times in only a few months. Her big girl teeth came in fine, and braces were a success with straightening the mid-lines. She never needed more than a some liquid Tylenol after having those, or any other extractions done.
    DD (20)
    DS (17)
    DH (over the hill - the big 4-0)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    As for why a parent wouldn't have any pain meds I do not know.
    But I can tell you her tooth was pulled yesterday at 4pm and she has experienced no pain and not needed so much as an aspirin.
    I'm hoping it was just her 10 year old brain not thinking that you don't need special pain medicine for tooth pain or her just sure no medcine could take away the pain.

We do live in a poor area. Some children literally have no food in there house at times. So I'm sure there are some homes where there are no pain medicine in the cupboard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lisaflex View Post
    that is just crazy! dd is 8 and had spacers put in and an expander and now has braces on the top and will eventually have a lip bumper on the bottom. while we have dental insurance, ortho is not covered...we just put down $500 and pay $135 per month...now i do understand alot cannot afford this, but, come on, it is your childs mouth and teeth. we feeldental health is quite important and are willing to (and thank goodness, can afford to) pay out of pocket if need be.

how can ortho be elective? awful. so sad.

lots of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders around here have braces. some even wear them twice. once in early grade school and then again towards 8th grade. very very common to see 8 yr olds w braces
    1st graders in braces this blows my mind. High schooler sure but 1st graders. Wow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I'm hoping it was just her 10 year old brain not thinking that you don't need special pain medicine for tooth pain or her just sure no medcine could take away the pain.

We do live in a poor area. Some children literally have no food in there house at times. So I'm sure there are some homes where there are no pain medicine in the cupboard.

I wish I could teach everyone about coupons. I have more free aspirin then I know what to do with it. Poverty doesn't have to mean pain.

All those dollar off coupons equal free aspirin when you buy the smallest sized bottles. I get so many of them I donate them to the food bank.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry, but as a taxpayer, I agree with the government not paying for cosmetic treatment, which is what braces are for most of the time.

I grew up poor and my parents couldn't afford braces. My teeth aren't perfectly straight and I can't see where it's impacted my life at all. I don't judge other people with crooked teeth, either.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    I wish I could teach everyone about coupons. I have more free aspirin then I know what to do with it. Poverty doesn't have to mean pain.

All those dollar off coupons equal free aspirin when you buy the smallest sized bottles. I get so many of them I donate them to the food bank.
    I don't remember Ever seeing coupons for things like aspirin or tylenol except maybe the wal greens ad. I will have to pay better attention.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I don't remember Ever seeing coupons for things like aspirin or tylenol except maybe the wal greens ad. I will have to pay better attention.
    Check the Target web sight. More then once I have seen 1.00 off of up and up aspirin. It's 97 cents for the travel size bottle.

A few week ago I had a 2.00 off Advil and it was on sale 1.99

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Sorry, but as a taxpayer, I agree with the government not paying for cosmetic treatment, which is what braces are for most of the time.

I grew up poor and my parents couldn't afford braces. My teeth aren't perfectly straight and I can't see where it's impacted my life at all. I don't judge other people with crooked teeth, either.
    I agree with you. Cosmetic things should not be covered by the government. But a child should not have to wait months to get a painful cavity fixed either. I know that beggars can't be choosers and maybe this is the mama bear talking but I'm upset that my daughters needs were put the bottom of the list. She is only 9 and was in pain. It's not her fault her parents didn't have 2,000. I'm grateful I have the fortitude to get it taken care of and didn't just wait around; but some people aren't all that savvy. I truly feel sorry for children who's only hope is the state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast