tin foil on windows - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Makes a ridiculous difference, doesn't it? About 3 or 4 years ago the lemming population started coming up again and the little buggers killed the big chokecherry tree in our front yard (by eating all the bark under the snow) that shaded our windows. We put foil over a couple of the windows and it makes a dramatic difference. I also put it over the windows in the basement when I used to work shift to block out the sun for sleeping, and for our home theater.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an old home and it still has the original windows and doors!( Built around 1875, additions in 1885 and 1910.)The windows are large, but not so many on the west or north.I have heavy drapes that I can open and shut to block out the sun. All of our west windows have some sort of trellis in front. I can grow beans or things like morning glory during the summer to help block out the heat. In the winter when I need the sun these plants will have died back and I can keep the curtains open.I could not personally use foil because I would feel claustrophobic and I do not like how it looks. But the foil would work . Are you in the country ? We are, and neighbors tend to be less picky about that sort of stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will have to try the aluminum foil. I live in an apartment above a bar and the last two days the a/c has been running continuously, because it gets to be around 90 with only the windows open, the ceiling fans going. I will let you all know how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we live in a town of a 3,000. Its in the 80's today, and is at 73 at the hottest so far upstairs, so I'd say the tin foil has done the trick today. Storms are brewing up and tornado watches are on for tonight so we will chill in the basement where it's in the 60's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to try this on my back windows....although my kids my recommend I wrap it around my head to keep out the aliens (haha)! My room is at the back and it is the hottest room in the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

do you cover the whole window ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I cut the foamboard to fit the window as closely as possible, then foil over the foamboard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would worry about one thing with foil covering the windows like that .... other then astetics.... this is often something that people growing pot in their homes will do to thier windows, so cops may take a second look at your home as they drive by.

But if your not doing anything against any town or county regulations and it keeps you cooler ... I say foil away!! maybe a little cone for the head too as daisy's kids said .. nano nano

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Years ago I was looking for the film that you can put on the windows and still look out of. I found it at ACE Hardware. I did not try it since I was not sure how easily it would come off since I rent.
    Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting that window skin that reflects the sun, but you can still see out of. I haven't seen it in awhile though.
    I comes off real easy and it does help.

PP---if you have a Hancock's near you............they carry it at mine.

Other than that........a car place could carry it....don't know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

In my neck of the woods, people use solid foil backed insulation board, covered with pretty fabric to plug the windows in the winter. My aunt had done this on her windows in a rambling old house. From outside and in, it looked like damask windowcoverings. They coordinated - not matched, the heavy drapes in the living room. She also attached grosgrain ribbon loops to the sides for easy in/out of windows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by angel-1 View Post
    If I had the money to live in a neighborhood with a HOA I pry would have the money to pay for the electric bill and not have to brainstorm a way to get my bill lower.
    Actually, Habitat for Humanity built all our houses in an HOA neighborhood, I assure you it does NOT mean we have the money for an "HOA Neighborhood" it is just where they got the deal for the land and the lots. We have to pay HOA fees and obey by their rules.

Just wanted to mention this in case you know people in HOA locations and assume they "have the money to live there". Not necessarily true. We also have Section 8 housing in this neighborhood and they have to pay the HOA dues too. (unless, that is, section 8 folks pay it for them but Habitat does not pay ours)

I have a side window that I may do the foil on since its only visible to my one neighbor and my backyard, she wont care as she keeps those blinds closed 24/7 as the view is just, well, my backyard, hahaha!

Thanks for the tips on the energy conservation.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by qtkitty View Post
    I would worry about one thing with foil covering the windows like that .... other then astetics.... this is often something that people growing pot in their homes will do to thier windows, so cops may take a second look at your home as they drive by.

But if your not doing anything against any town or county regulations and it keeps you cooler ... I say foil away!! maybe a little cone for the head too as daisy's kids said .. nano nano
    I work for the electrical utility, and management wanted to pass a policy to have every employee report instances of suspected grow operations, including foil on the windows. Our union pushed back and said no way would they let their membership put themselves in harm's way. The funny part is that we live in a corporate town basically owned by the utility, and just about everyone works shift, and in the summer we have about 20 hours of daylight, so about 3/4 of all houses (corporate houses to boot) have foil on the windows. I guess we all grow dope!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Think I might add some foil to some windows in the garage. It would be an added energy factor on top of the darkening plastic.

One window is on east side and gets really hot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The small town where I live since everyone knows everyones business ,you know which people that have foil on the windows are pot growers.I had foil on the big upstairs window that faces west and it helped alot.My big kitchen windows face west also I have blinds but they aren't enough so I used some pretty material and made a tie up curtain for each one.Now I can have them up early in the day and lower them when the sun starts beating in.If you have a top sheet you don't need you could make them out of it.One of my friends made the prettiest drapes once out of sheets, everyone thought they were high priced boughten ones,she even lined them with a lighter color that matched .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please check if your windows are double-pane, I once put those reflective film on the windows, 2 of the windows cracked, we had to pay to replace those windows, warranty not covered if reflective film was used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast