Made it to CA!

Thread: Made it to CA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Made it to CA!

We just arrived in Monterey a couple days ago after three days of driving. We drove both vehicles down and my husband totally played the hero and drove the kids down he entire 17 hour trip. We did get to see a lot of cool stuff on the way down. I might post pictures if I get the chance.

We looked at houses all day yesterday and I can't get over the cost. Our housing allowance went from 1600 to 2800 when we moved down here and we may end up using every penny. Yesterday we looked at a place that would be a 400 rental back home priced at 1900 a month. The places weve narrowed it down to are a one story home with a huge backyard and an apartment that's small but doable. The difference in price would amount to a out 11,000 over the two years that my husband will be stationed here. Both places are within walking/biking distance from my husband's new school which was one of our preferences because of the high cost of living here.

We're staying in a hotel right now and that's kind of wearing on me but the kids love it. My Mac was treated to a bath of diet coke just before we left so she's in the shop, along with all my budget spreadsheets. It's been kind of a pain in the rear to try to pick a new place without it since it's harder to see what I'm working with.

Anyway I just wanted to say hi. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on the wagon and back into the forums shortly.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter was in Monterey on base for her first year in the Navy, she LOVED IT! One thing she kept complaining about was how cold it was, ha! That coast really brings on the cool air from the water.

I didn't get out to see her before they shipped her off somewhere else but she really enjoyed Monterey.

My CA recommendations: feed the sea lions (if that's still allowed on the wharfs)
    Buzz up to SF for some sourdough bread and a trolley ride
    Monterey Bay Aquarium is worth the cost

Umm, other than that, enjoy! I grew up out in CA, tons to see and do.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lived in Marina, which is a beautiful 'bedroom community' for a couple of years, then ex and I bought a mobile home (stupid tax) in Salinas, which has become gang banger central. Oh, how I miss the beautiful Central Coast, but not the obscene cost of living.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello from 2 hours south in Pismo!
    Grace , single mommy to two beautiful girls

DD Chloe (03/2010)
    DD Emma (05/2011)

Challenges:
    No Spend- January 0/23
    Change Jar Challenge: $0/$200

Debt Snowball as of 12/25/13
    Kohls $794/$870
    Wells Fargo $1097
    Chase $6950/$6942
    Chase $5249/$5242
    BOFA $4933/$4983
    Honda $7552/$9295

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad the trip went sooo well!! You'll all settle in realy soon - love the sound of the house - but then I'm biased to a yard!! Looking forward to pictures!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Monterey is such a gorgeous community! Enjoy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It'd be cool if you do get a chance to post some photos, Nishu - I'd love to see them . The SO and I had hoped to see CA this year but unfortunately funds are not permitting and the trip is postponed.

Good luck getting your housing sorted

Ps. Sorry about your Mac

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear you made it!! Have fun looking for a new house!
    Sept No Spend Days - 7 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 224 /365
    2014 Sept Gas Challenge - $68.50 / $120
    Sept Keep Fit - 825 min / 900 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you made it! I didn't know you were moving so soon. Hope you get settled quickly and with ease. Keep us posted!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

With kids? I vote for the house. Glad you made it okay. And hey, that was a bonus having DH take the kids.

We were down the coast through Monterey once. Lovely place California. At least that part of it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The apartment we were looking at is actually a townhome I guess, so I guess it's not technically an apartment. We ended up going with the townhome. It's got a tiny back yard with a fence and it's right across the street from a park. It's also closer to my husband's school than the other place we were looking at. We considered getting a place out in town but after spending a couple days in traffic I used my veto authority to shut down any talk of living further away. He thanked me for that as we were driving around today.

My husband is taking a pay cut of about 300 a month in order to come here since he'll no longer be getting sea pay. The place we have now is a flat rate rent that's 469 a month less than our housing allowance, so getting a slightly cheaper place means that we'll at least break even. The other place would have taken our full housing allowance. I've already taken the insurance off the van since he's going to be walking to school. I really don't think this place is going to be that much more expensive than Washington.

Our laptop was totaled so we got a new one yesterday. We had it backed up on a portable hard drive so it's like I never lost it.

Movers are coming tomorrow. Still gonna get pictures up when I get the chance. Thanks for all the good vibes!
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh! A townhouse is different than an apartment. With a playground so close it sounds like you made a good call. And so close to DH's work too! Way to go Nishu!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are not far off from Solvang and Pasa Robles(wine country). Have a great time.The house sounds great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Oh, kinda homesick - I spent 3.5 years living on what was Fort Ord (205 Colmar doesn't exist anymore, new houses built), Going to church at the Naval Postgraduate school, and Dad taught at DLI up the hill in Monterey. I graduated from Seaside High. The best deal going is season or year passes to the Aquarium, trust me, it'll pay for itself, and is transferrable to guests of yours (nice price break on visiting grandma or auntie).
    Average year-round temp is 70. Fog is normal every morning till 10 or so - take a drive in any direction five miles and you'll be out of it, into sunshine.
    We always had a problem with tiny ants - maybe it was the four kids with sticky fingers, living on a sand dune, but just a head's up. (once there was an enormous California King snake that slithered across our front lawn - my brother was so scared).
    Welcome home for the next couple years, congrats on a home, with so many perks already (DH walking to work, next to a park, yard, even!)