Advertising Rip Offs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Advertising Rip Offs

I get so irked when a company tries to pull a fast one with their advertising. Here's the latest that happened to us:

We went to Subway because they were advertising their turkey bacon with avocado special. Sounded good. On the poster at Subway, it also advertised the steak and egg with avocado. That sounded good, also. It was $4, so I ordered that. They have these little posters that tell you how to place your order. One of the posters was on the various types of bread that I could choose, or I could choose to have the filling placed on a bed of salad greens. I choose the greens. The next step was to choose the other items on the order. I chose tomato and green peppers and a dressing. I noticed that they had not put on the avocado, and reminded the girl to do so. And the last step was to pay. The bill was $5.50 plus tax. How could that be on a $4 order?

I asked the cashier about the bill. The bill stated that I had the stea and egg, but it also had a 50c charge for extra bacon. She said she didn't really charge me for extra bacon, but for the extra egg. I told her that egg came with the order, and that it wasn't extra. But she was adamant. I paid (foolish me) and ate. The food was good, but it certainly didn't set right with me.

I went home and emailed subway.com. Their response was to have the local restaurant manager call me. She said that it was standard charge to add a dollar if a customer wanted the filling on salad instead of bread. And she said that the 50c extra charge was not bacon, and not egg, but avocado. HUH??? And she said she realized that it wasn't advertised that the salad or the avocado was extra, but that's the way it way, and she couldn't do anything about it.

So I emailed subway.com again. So far, no response. It's not a lot of money, but the principle of the thing irks me. If they would just be upfront about the costs, then I could make a decision on whether or not to have a salad vs. bread, or whether to have avocado on the order. I find them to be very deceptive.

Your turn. Have you ever run into deceptive advertising with a product or a company? What was it? What did you do? What happened?
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just know I need to read the fine print now on coupons like that. I also make sure to show the person I am ordering the food with what the coupon is. This way they know what the coupon is good for and can tell me what on the menu I can order. The first time I ordered something with a free coupon I was stunned to hear I needed to purchase a drink. Something I hardly ever do when eating out.

Sorry you had to go through this. I do like subway since they have more options with the veggie condiments you can have.

Will continue to use the coupons though. I just make sure before I order what I can have with the coupon. It is more effort but worth it since I wouldn't eat out very often then.

Last week I went with someone for a sundae at Friendly's. Used a buy one get one free coupon. Much cheaper that way. This week will be going to a nice italian restaurant that has a buy one, get one free entree special. The portions are large and can easily be divided up into two meals.

Personally I like the free coupons that are becoming more and more harder to find.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Disappointing about your Subway experience fHg - glad you are following up on it with Customer Service.

I had a similar problem with a local craft store That I posted about recently. My challenge was swiftly resolved with an apology and free merchandise - I had purchased 8 pieces of scrapbooking paper and they gifted me over 150 sheets.

We all need to on top of where our $$$s are going.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live 3 minutes from a Subway, but I work next to a Convenient Food Mart, the have very delicious subs, I get a 6" on wheat bread with turkey, bacon, green pepper, pickles and white american cheese with mayo baked for 3 minutes thru pizza oven for only $3.75 plus tax, it taste better than Subway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is deceptive. Years back at the height of the low carb crazy our subways had a sign they would make any 6 inch a salad for .50 or $1 more ( I forget which). Now there is no note one the salads besides them listing a few $5 salad options.

I totally do not get getting charged for avocado on an item that clearly states avocado. That is crazy!!!!! They need to very clearly state these things just like they do the charge for extra meat. I dont blame you a bit for being frustrated!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always read the fine print or ask questions on deals like that. "What comes with that? Is _____ extra?" I let people go around me in line while I do the math. Fast food places make a lot of money 'upcharging', adding extras or supersizing items.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Absolutely and I do exactly what you did. Shame on Subway for not handling it better. I guess they don't care too much about their customers when they won't offer you anything for your trouble. Maybe you could send the story to the newspaper they love to out businesses that are not doing the right thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It irkes me that the cheese on a fish sandwich is 1/2 of a slice. It hangs off the fish to make you think it's a whole slice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We always ask questions when using the coupon or the advertised special. "Is that included?" is a common phrase a s well as "Is that extra?"

We have a family friend that has a family rule nothing but water when eating out unless it comes with the price of the meal.

The children were getting kids meal and the waitress ask if they wanted a house special lemon aid with the meal. The child ask hopeful "Is it included in the price of the meal?" she said no it is extra. He ordered water. So did his sister.

A few minutes later the waitress came out with very big lemon aids and said with a very big smile "These are on the house"
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 19 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had something similiar happen at Wal-mart with coupons. An item was 88 cents and the coupon was for $1.00 off. According to their rules I was supposed to get the 12 cents credited to my cart total.

They refused to do that, I made a manager come over and he stated that they were giving me the product anyway and I should just be happy with that. I told him to read the coupon, it plainly states that the manufactuer was going to reimburse them the coupon value plus a processing fee.

I didn't let up and he gave in and gave me the full value. There was several people in line behind me that were not happy about it though.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Walgreens and had a similiar problem. A product was on sale for 1.99 and I had a 1.50 coupon and then a coupon for $2.00 off my total order. I bought 4 of the product so my total should be 0. She refused to let me use the $2 coupon and wouldn't get a manager. I paid and then called the next day and complained. I actually haven't seen that particular girl there since.
    total debt: $23977.09 updated 04/02/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    We always ask questions when using the coupon or the advertised special. "Is that included?" is a common phrase a s well as "Is that extra?"

We have a family friend that has a family rule nothing but water when eating out unless it comes with the price of the meal.

The children were getting kids meal and the waitress ask if they wanted a house special lemon aid with the meal. The child ask hopeful "Is it included in the price of the meal?" she said no it is extra. He ordered water. So did his sister.

A few minutes later the waitress came out with very big lemon aids and said with a very big smile "These are on the house"
    We used to make table lemonade with the kids. Order water with lemon, then use a little sugar or sweetner off the table. Presto! Free lemonade!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    We used to make table lemonade with the kids. Order water with lemon, then use a little sugar or sweetner off the table. Presto! Free lemonade!
    My kids think lemon water is the coolest thing.

I will tuck away the table lemonade trick in case it is ever needed it is a great idea
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 19 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

And about our Subway problem: Their website has a place so that we can give comments or ask questions. I asked them 3 times about their lack of clear prices, and they have not yet answered. Silence........
    Spiritual:

Financial:

1. Keep on writing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is definitely something to be irked about! I cannot believe Subway has not even replied to you yet. Don't let up. Hopefully they will do something to compensate you.
    April No Spend Days - 6 /22
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 97 /365
    2014 April Gas Challenge - $15 / $80
    April Keep Fit - 210 min / 900 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Give God your problems and he will give you His peace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, even more than the money is the fact that they have deceptive advertising and signs in the restaurant. Why would they advertise "Turkey, Bacon, and Avocado" but really only give the turkey and bacon, and tell you that the avocado is extra?? Why do they have a sign that tells you that the next step in creating your meal is to choose your bread or greens, and not tell you that the salad greens are extra? And now on top of it, to not answer three communications with them about it..... I just don't get it.
    Spiritual:

Financial:

1. Keep on writing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast