Frugal Home Security
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal Home Security

I'm looking for some frugal but GOOD home security.

Even more specific -- frugal video surveillance and recording.

One of the kids has a "perp". Perp has threatened to get us back for "spilling the beans". We recently got a call warning us that perp and associates were talking about us again. Sure enough, weird things started happening again around the house -- man videoing my kids, woman in costume hiding in yard, vehicles circling block (identified as belonging to "associates"), man showing up at my kids event ... At this point we would like a more concrete documentation of the circus at our house to turn over to the authorities (yes, they are aware and involved). We already have a monitored/listen in alarm system. We would like an affordable video surveillance system (mostly outdoor but maybe 1 indoor) that records.

If anyone has ever used anything like this and has suggestions of what is good or what we should avoid, we would appreciate info. Since I'm on this board, you know I can't be rich (we are still paying off the counseling) but do need something that works good enough to get the job done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't know about these systems...I am sure they must be someone on this forum who has bought one or knows about them. Have you called the authorties? Silly question.. I was raised in NM in Albuq. This is really terrifying! Check on e-bay. Keep us posted. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you can get this figured out soon.

How about calling your systems company to see what they suggest you could use.

There may be something like cameras that can be used outside but hooked up to your computer system. From what I understand the cameras themselves are inexpensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Big dogs. Locks on windows/doors.

Previous bf of mine had webcams in numerous windows of our house which uploaded pictures to a computer. Each day he'd check all the pictures, I think it uploaded every 5 minutes. He also had them in the house. Which I hated, but that's another discussion.

He used logitech basic webcams, our house was already wired with ethernet, and the webcams came with their own software.

One time he captured the neighbor letting its dog poop daily in our front yard. He confronted the neighbor, letting him know about the camera, and it stopped happening. It was useful at other times as well but overall I did not like the camera-feeling of it all. But then, I wasn't in your situation I just had a bf that was really into having his life documented.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Garden suppliers sell time lapse cameras meant to be set up in your garden. They are built for outdoors and can be programmed to take a picture at whatever interval you choose.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    Garden suppliers sell time lapse cameras meant to be set up in your garden. They are built for outdoors and can be programmed to take a picture at whatever interval you choose.
    Some of these cameras also have motion sensors that set the camera off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. Our system provider doesn't have outdoor cameras yet. They only have indoor. We are locked tight and armed when inside and the company audio monitors if it is tripped while we are gone. We would love to catch the people driving by (and maybe the crazy lady in her costume again). If I could just get some faces and car tags recorded...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could get a "deer cam" that hunters use when they have baited a certain spot to see if the deer comes around the feed. They are generally motion activated and come in a variety of price ranges.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm...I think it may be best is if you were able to set up cameras BUT make sure they're all inside the house therefore anyone noticing you installing them outside, can't vandalize them to thwart your efforts.

Would something like these work?

Walmart.com: Sumas Media SM-DVSUPER10 4 Channel H.264 DVR Security System with 4 Indoor/Outdoor CMOS Night Vision Cameras: Surveillance Equipment

Lorex - Indoor/Outdoor Digital Wireless Surveillance System - LW1012

Surveillance is one part, the other is being able to record. You may need to buy another component to record what you can see via cams.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You need to check on the laws for your state that are for recording people. Some states have weird rules. Don't ask the LEOs because most don't know the laws.

Also, a sign stating that people are recorded on the property might be enough to get them to leave you alone at the house. And, having cameras that only look like they are hooked up (up high in the eaves).
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGranola View Post
    I'm looking for some frugal but GOOD home security.

Even more specific -- frugal video surveillance and recording.

One of the kids has a "perp". Perp has threatened to get us back for "spilling the beans". We recently got a call warning us that perp and associates were talking about us again. Sure enough, weird things started happening again around the house -- man videoing my kids, woman in costume hiding in yard, vehicles circling block (identified as belonging to "associates"), man showing up at my kids event ... At this point we would like a more concrete documentation of the circus at our house to turn over to the authorities (yes, they are aware and involved). We already have a monitored/listen in alarm system. We would like an affordable video surveillance system (mostly outdoor but maybe 1 indoor) that records.

If anyone has ever used anything like this and has suggestions of what is good or what we should avoid, we would appreciate info. Since I'm on this board, you know I can't be rich (we are still paying off the counseling) but do need something that works good enough to get the job done.
    I don't know anything about the laws in New Mexico, but in Alabama, It's illegal to video tape minor children without parent's written permission...not even supposed to take photos...kinda silly in a way...and not in others...
    As far as recording adults, I think my attorney said it's legal if at least one party is aware of the recording in progress...and of course, if you're recording, you're aware...
    I hope you get this resolved peacefully soon...best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

NM is a one party state - audio or video. The authorities have encouraged me to get them on tape - they don't like the sound of the whole story and they want these creeps locked up just like us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Big locks, big dogs, and a hand gun, sad isn't it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by 227melissa View Post
    Big locks, big dogs, and hand guns
    Sounds exactly like our home security...:/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have no suggestions but please BE CAREFUL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast