Update on My Husband lost his job - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is there a way you could sell your car? What a horrible situation; do they think you can feed your kids with that $800 that your car is over the limit
    Could you take your car to a dealership and see what they say it is worth or what they would give you for it? How about taking it to the dealership and trading it in for something of less value.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shopped around for a lot before getting this car, I wanted to make sure that I got something reliable and safe to drive my kids in, its a basic 2005 civic with 73k miles, no power locks, doors etc, but very dependable. I looked around for a good month before I got it, it was the cheapest car I found that I would feel comfortable to drive them in. Right now the only thing I can think to do is put the car into my moms name and reapply, since she helped me get the car in the first place.
    Grace , single mommy to two beautiful girls

DD Chloe (03/2010)
    DD Emma (05/2011)

Challenges:
    No Spend- January 0/23
    Change Jar Challenge: $0/$200

Debt Snowball as of 12/25/13
    Kohls $794/$870
    Wells Fargo $1097
    Chase $6950/$6942
    Chase $5249/$5242
    BOFA $4933/$4983
    Honda $7552/$9295

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hum I know I was told when I applied your car could be any value. Boy things sure have changed. You would think they would want you to have reliable transportation to get a job. I think that is just plain stupid. Good luck I hope everything starts working out for you
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm relatively new to the forums and ran into your story. The advice you've been given is wonderful, so I'll just agree with all of the above. I basically just wanted to wish you the best and to let you know that with faith, things will be better. Hang in there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grace .. I think getting the car out of your name is a good idea... take any help and support from family or friends that they offer.

Please keep letting us know how you are doing.I am sure so many on here are sending you good thoughts and prayers.. {Hugs}
    Change Jar - 239.00 ~ March 18 , 2006

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grace, I'm sorry to hear about your news. But it sounds like you're handling yourself with grace and strength. I hope things get better (hugs)
    Wife to Air Force DH for 7 years.
    SAHM to twin boys, Samuel and David!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat0649 View Post
    I shopped around for a lot before getting this car, I wanted to make sure that I got something reliable and safe to drive my kids in, its a basic 2005 civic with 73k miles, no power locks, doors etc, but very dependable. I looked around for a good month before I got it, it was the cheapest car I found that I would feel comfortable to drive them in. Right now the only thing I can think to do is put the car into my moms name and reapply, since she helped me get the car in the first place.
    I was going to suggest you put it someone elses name you trust, and reapply, as as mentioned by someone else, take the car to several dealerships, maybe a new car dealership and ask them to put the value of you car in writing, may go to several, then take it to DHHS.

But if you get into your mom's name you may have to show proof or get a bill of sale, saying you sold it or gave it to your mom.

Please let us know how goes, Grace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grace,
    I am getting caught up after being off for awhile, just saw both you posts. I am so sorry, you and the girls deserve so much better. I am praying for you all. So glad you are living near family now. You are such a sweet , kind loving Mom and person. Keep your chin up hon it is always darkest before the dawn. PM me if you need anything. Let us know how you are doing.

Hugs and Blessings,
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my husband was laid off we applied and were denied for the very same reason. I can understand denying someone if they have a brand new Hummer in the driveway but honestly how do they think the value of my car is going to feed my kids? Im sorry honey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HI Grace . I am so sorry for what has happened to you and your children. For welfare you can not have over $2000 in checking account or $2000 in savings. The blue book value of your car in the state of Ky has to be $5000 or less. Really the only thing you can do is put your mothers name on your car title. and reapply. You will qualify for financial aid to pay for college. You have to figure which program is most suited for you. A cna is a short term program that will provide income for a longer program such as a LPN or RN. You will qualify for a medical card and foodstamps. Also take advantage of WIC. Honey get all the help you can there is no shame in bettering your self or temporary help. Prayers for you and your girls.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123