We buy contents of storage units
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default We buy contents of storage units

We just bought the contents of 6 storage units.. I am amazed every time we buy one, the things people leave in them..

If we were dishonest people, we could of made so much money on just the personal information left in the units, everything needed ~ birth certificates, ss cards, tax information, etc.. They don't take up much space, so why would anyone leave that stuff in a storage unit.. We just shred them and throw them away..

In the first unit we bought was someones cremains (2 yrs. ago), with all his personal information, that unit hadn't been paid for 8 months before we bought it.. One item this time we found that I find sad was, we found a flag they give to the family at military funerals..

I just don't understand it.

We don't get our units like Storage Wars or Auction Hunters.. There is no Auction, they just call us when they need to sell one..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Storage units

I love watching storage wars to see if they made out on their buy! Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't!
    Loving Wife to Ken 29 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Trishagirl View Post
    I love watching storage wars to see if they made out on their buy! Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't!
    Hubby loves those shows..

We've done good to the fact, we've always at least broke even, never took a loss.. It's definitely a gamble.. We're lucky tho', we buy from people that aren't worried about recouping their money, just getting the units emptied, so we get them cheap and no competing with anyone.. There's no Dave here

Out of the 6 units we just bought, we'll make our money back and then some from the contents of just one of the units, so the rest will be all profit..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I watch that show Im shocked at the things people will leave.
    Okay if someone died that's one thing but in some cases I don't understand why you wouldn't find some way to get your things back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

AnnK, we paid for a storage unit every month for 5 yrs. when we moved out of state with plans to go back and get our stuff.. We couldn't really afford the monthly payment all the time, but I was not gonna lose my stuff, and last year we went and cleared it out.. We had no personal info in it, all that came with us..

But to leave someones ashes in a unit for 8 months, gross... We took it to the funeral home that handle the funeral..

The people we buy units from are way to easy going, one unit we bought was past due for 12 months and the average is 7 months behind.. So, the renter has plenty of time to try to work with them.. The usual rule is ~ company lock on it and contact the renter, then after 90 days of no pay, the contents get sold..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister worked for a storage unit company for a couple of years. They did try working with people to get them up to date on payments or to get them to come clear it out before a lockout. Then after lockouts, it would just go on the list for the quarterly clear-out sale. I don't remember if it was auction style or not. But there would be some nice stuff left over.

I've thought of buying from these things or just offering services as a garage sale clean-up person. Anything left over at the end, we will haul off. Then we could sell things, donate or recycle things ourselves.
    MissSeetonFan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ohhh, I'm excited to hear examples of what you've got in the 6 units!

or at least what's in the one that will pay for them all?

do tell.... do tell!!!
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm, this sounds like something I would be interested in trying. I wonder how one goes about finding out the contents are for sale? Every so often I see in the paper a list of names of people notifying them about their unit, but I never thought about what happens afterwards.

lll
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bumplett View Post

do tell.... do tell!!!
    I want to hear about the finds but man am I going to be jealous. I love those shows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Booklover View Post
    Hmmm, this sounds like something I would be interested in trying. I wonder how one goes about finding out the contents are for sale? Every so often I see in the paper a list of names of people notifying them about their unit, but I never thought about what happens afterwards.
    They usually announce the sales in the newspaper as well. But if you call the different storage unit places they could tell you how often they schedule the sales and how they take place, open auction, silent auction, first come first served buying, whichever.
    MissSeetonFan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can check out auctionzip for your area to find storage auctions. They tend to list a lot of storage acutions in our area here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no doubt that many people have lost things from unpaid bills that they really did not want to give up. It might have been severe lack of funds, constantly on the move or just no support in their life in general. I suspect many have just had to emotionally let go so as to not go crazy over the loss.

I try and put myself in their shoes and I just hurt for those that had no other options. But by the grace of God go I.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bumplett View Post

do tell.... do tell!!!
    In the one ~ a working higher end fridge and matching stove, a table saw (just the table runs for $150, without the saw), a standered (sp?) Router, a mini fridge/freezer combo, some sports stuff, etc..

Another unit has 2 large aquariums with the large wood cupboard stands and all the equipment,, swords and knives, etc..

Not sure if I mentioned, we only need to make $300 total to get our money back and just mentioning a couple things, we already made $60 back on some small items hubby showed a couple employees the first night. We're not selling anything yet, we are still clearing out units, but we know we will profit from them..

We do keep stuff also.. Hubby has a large Hot Wheels collection all from units, and I keep anything I think is cool..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    I have no doubt that many people have lost things from unpaid bills that they really did not want to give up. It might have been severe lack of funds, constantly on the move or just no support in their life in general. I suspect many have just had to emotionally let go so as to not go crazy over the loss.

I try and put myself in their shoes and I just hurt for those that had no other options. But by the grace of God go I.
    The people we buy from are way more than fare.. The units we buy are at least 7 months behind, a couple were 11 and 12 months behind..

Here is one example of they aren't all bad off, there is a unit hubby looked at months ago that was 5 months behind, the man came in and paid half of what he owed with the promise he will be in every month and pay extra to get caught up. He is now another 3 months behind (never came back). This man is will just say, part of the law in this town and they know him and know he has the money.. He is just taking advantage of them..

I maybe am a bad person, but I feel more for the people we buy them from, than these other people.. They just have to call the people that own the units and they will be worked with.. I don't get nosy in their business, I get rid of all personal info respectfully, but I will not contact anyone that were renting these units, that is the top no no... We did it once and we were lied to.. She said "oh I am living out of state now, that's why I lost it, but I want this and that out of the unit, I will be back in town in a couple of weeks". I looked up the number she was calling from and it was a local land line.. We also got a name and found out she never moved out of the city.. If she was honest with us, she would of gotten those things..
    Last edited by Syn D; 08-24-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Booklover View Post
    As I said, we don't do the auction version, they just call us if they have a unit to sell..

As for the contents, some auctions you get a minute or so just to look not touch.. There are also some storage unit auctions that they don't even open the door, you bid without having any visual clue whats inside..

If your paper doesn't post them, call local storage companies and they might let you know who does their auction or even if they do auctions and you can contact them to find out when they do them..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast