Please pray for all of us during this terrible Snow Storm - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prayers and best wishes enroute!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending hugs and prayers your way, glad to know that you are all home safe!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aren't you the wise ones to have your own generator!! Am so glad that your son is home safe. Sending prayers, hugs and aloha for you all to weather this storm safely. Please keep in touch.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hello everyone........We are ALL safe! I didn't lose any of my trees even though most of them that still had leaves on them & the pine trees were bent over touching the ground..Oh take that back a huge Pine branch is on the ground..poor tree has suffered greatly this year with damage to one whole side of it..I call that tree mythreesons as it looks like 3 trees in one and I have 3 son's..I know probably sounds like I'm a little whacked but I do love my Trees...We are still without power and the electric company has no restoration time for us and it could be days........My bil has a tree down on top of his 1940's Tractor,not sure if it's damaged yet or not according to my mil whom lives next door..I can't believe she is in the next town over(like 7 minutes away from where I live) and still has power? I heard that her area was hit pretty hard with 13inches of snow,electric lines down all over along with trees down and yet she is one of the lucky few to still have electric...I'm glad she has it as she is 80yrs old,fil 82yrs and their only source of heat is electric heater...My brother who lives 20minutes away from me has 16 inches of snow and also without power..My other brother lives right down the road from me so he obviously doesn't have power..I haven't talked to him yet,but I'm sure he is fine..I made breakfast on the woodstove this morning..I buttered split/ sub rolls and placed them in foil,put ham slices in a foil packet and greased a frying pan cracked 3 fresh eggs from my girls and sat patiently in the basement waiting for everything to get done..the egg's took some time to cook and for a minute I thought that I made a mistake and the egg's would take forever to cook but I opened the woodstove and within second's of the air hitting it the flames were roaring and my family's egger's sandwich was done..everyone enjoyed them! I was pretty proud of myself considering we could of bought them at the convience store a mile down the road..LOL..nothing like tooting your own horn..I'm getting hungry so I will put some Lasagna sp? that I made yesterday in a foil packet to heat up on the woodstove..I have a big pot of soup that I will soon heatup so that will take awhile..as my dh requested I made ginger snap cookies yesterday just a few hours before we lost power so we will have them for dessert..My boy's are playing the x-box here in the livingroom with me (the x-box is not played anywhere but their bedroom but since my dh is laying down with a migraine headache in our bedroom w/the door closed and I'm on the computer I decided to let them play it in here to keep the arguing between them down to a bare minimum... that make's our situation a little more pleasant and I get to watch them play together again like when they were little kid's...Well I'm off to heat my food up..I will give another update a little later if anything changes ..HUGS.
    Last edited by brenda67; 10-30-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I called the Electric company to have them tell me they have no restoration time for me at all..I'm trying to remain calm because I'm worried it really will be day's before it's repaired...I keep thinking that we just went through losing our electric for days a couple of month's ago..I know I'm fortunate to have the generator..but, it DOESN"T run everything in our house like the water so I can't do my dishes...I can't stand dirty dishes in my sink! I can feel myself ready to explode because my house is not in order..I need to take a shower and can't..I could go to my mil's house but I don't want to leave my house and drive on bad roads.. I think we are still under a State of Emergency anyway..I know thing's could be soooooooooooo much worse and I need to be thankful for that..Thanks for letting me vent!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    I called the Electric company to have them tell me they have no restoration time for me at all..I'm trying to remain calm because I'm worried it really will be day's before it's repaired...I keep thinking that we just went through losing our electric for days a couple of month's ago..I know I'm fortunate to have the generator..but, it DOESN"T run everything in our house like the water so I can't do my dishes...I can't stand dirty dishes in my sink! I can feel myself ready to explode because my house is not in order..I need to take a shower and can't..I could go to my mil's house but I don't want to leave my house and drive on bad roads.. I think we are still under a State of Emergency anyway..I know thing's could be soooooooooooo much worse and I need to be thankful for that..Thanks for letting me vent!

You could melt snow in a big pot on your woodstove. We did this all the time when I was growing up. Just make sure to slowly warm the snow first, to get a bit of water melted in the pot, so the pot doesn't burn & buckle, a few icicles melted first would be best. Melted snow water can be strained through a cloth and used for doing dishes, washing, toilet flushing. It can even be boiled for 5 minutes, strained twice (once through a cloth, then through a coffee filter, or Brita filter) and used for drinking water and cooking. Hope things get back to normal for you soon.

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could heat water in a tea kettle or lg pan to wash dishes and also for a sponge bath. Done that many a time. When we lose electricity it is usually a week at a time, forcing me to get creative. If your generator is hard wired into you electrical box you can shut off all the breakers but the hot water heater and get hot water that way. Then shut that one off and turn on the one to the freezer or refrigerator. We would rotate through and it worked well. The biggest problem was having enough gas to run the generators for several days if the roads are really bad. Having a siphon hose for the car gas tanks is helpful also.

Stay warm!
    Robin

Grandma to Kaylee 6 years old

Alexis and Ashley 5 years old

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending prayers up for you and your family and neighborhood. It's always a rough time but when it hits unexpectedly it's worse...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I will take your suggestions and heat some water on the woodstove, not sure why I didn't think of that myself..Our generator is not hooked up to our electric box we run extention sp? cords...I just need to suck it up for now!... HUGS..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What fun cooking on a woodstove!!!! Sounds like you are managing well. Maybe when this is all over, pick up some paper plates for when it happens again and that will help a little with the dirty dishes situation.

I am glad your trees survived the storm so well.

Hugs and stay warm!
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda, I hope that your electricity is restored soon. I have no suggestions as when it happens to us I'm still not proficient at living without electricity. But sending lots of hugs your way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Big hug Brenda, no fun going through these things you have little control over. Glad too that you have your generator and happy to see mine made it through our probs a few months ago(floated on the kitchen table ) so it's here with us now waiting to be needed.
    Hope the powers back soon and wish all this didn't happen to so many people. Nature's gone nutso lately it seems.
    ~*Darlene*~
    Live Well~LaughOften~Love Much

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
    Leo Buscaglia

2013 Challenge
    Books Read: 67

Become a Fan of Frugalvillage on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hang in there Brenda! I've never been through anything like that and it sounds frightening!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad you made it through the storm safe.

I'm in CT and the damage that we experienced is incredible, worse than Hurricane Irene in our area.

Trees are down, power lines are down, roads are closed, schools are closed, entire towns are 100% without power. My town is 95% without power and I'm am one of the lucky ones who never lost power.

I have my dad staying with me probably all week until the power comes on. My ex dropped off a refrigerator full of food.

One nice thing happened. It was my birthday last week and my ex had planned a big surprise party for me which had to be cancelled. So we had cooked a roast, potatoes, veggies and had a very nice dinner with me, my son, my dad and my ex. Very nice plan B.

I hope everyone else in New England that got hit with this storm is safe and warm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    What fun cooking on a woodstove!!!! Sounds like you are managing well. Maybe when this is all over, pick up some paper plates for when it happens again and that will help a little with the dirty dishes situation.

I am glad your trees survived the storm so well.

Hugs and stay warm!

HUGS...Yes,I agree it is cool being able to cook,reheat food & heat up a pot of water.. as for the paper plates I have 100's of paper plates in my stockpile including disposable bowls,plastic 16oz cups...I have 100's of plastic silverware also..My boy's were using the real silverware before I could tell them not to..I also had a few pot's to clean..Really it's just me being me...I HATE MESS...I did heat up some water on the woodstove and washed all the dishes..my kitchen is clean again..YAY..Oh and I'm sooooooooooo happy my Trees are all okay!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast