Major UK supermarket prohibits comparison shopping!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Major UK supermarket prohibits comparison shopping!

This is CRAZY. They have made it against the rules to write down the prices for their products. You can't take photos either.

So would this mean that those of us who use price lists (I DO!!!) not be allowed to use them at this store?

Tesco, for those who don't know, is a HUGE HUGE supermarket chain in the UK.

Totally creepy!!

Now it's illegal to write down prices in a Tesco supermarket | Money | The Guardian

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do they ban mini digital sound recorders stuffed into your bra too?? Where there's a will, there's a way.

Comparing receipts is a more "normal" way too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember in the late 80's in the US getting in trouble at the stores for writing down prices. They did ask if I/we worked for another store and was price checking. They ask us to leave and we told them it was for a school assignment in economic class to make a yearly budget with real prices. The stores went nuts and ask us to please tell our teacher that it was against the rules. They also made us leave the store right away.

She got mad, marched down there and wrote down prices on things at the store so we would not have to. The store decided that was an okay concession.

Now decades later it is common practice here to see people writing down prices and stores openly comparing the competition's prices and even price matching them. LOL Although many place I know still say it is against the rules to take pictures and will ask you to leave if you do.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really? They're so big they can afford to lose customers by actually enforcing such nonsense?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, you can compare receipts - AFTER you purchase something.

If I want to buy a pound of chicken, and find at one store for $2.49 and another store at $2.94, I need to buy them both or just memorize them to figure out which is better?

A store that needs to do this is clearly NOT taking a customer-friendly approach. I don't even go into a supermarket if I don't have my price- list with me and yes, I do update it as I shop!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never lived in UK but my understanding is that they're either the biggest or the second biggest in the country. So I guess they really can afford to do whatever the heck they please.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wonder if they're actually going to try enforcing this, or if it was just one manager being a paranoid ____. If they make it a posted policy it'll only make people mad.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember when Best Buy did this in the US... caused a lot of negative PR. I was in high school at the time I think, but I know my dad stopped shopping there for at least 10-12 years afterwards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember a couple of years ago, Walmart had someone come up to me ( security??? maybe) and tell me I had to stop doing what I was doing for another company. I asked them what I did wrong and they said they could tell I was corporate for another firm, well we both a great laugh and he apologized. I stayed and loaded my cart up with about 30 items ( all the same ) no I didn't shelf clear. I don't believe in that.

I was dressed professionally , had a real professional cool case ( that fit perfectly in the cart) made into a coupon binder and had my little calculator and clip board and they thought I was comparison shopping.It was when I use to mega coupon, for myself and the food bank. To this day I still laugh and told them I made more saving on coupons then working somewhere telling them prices. I no longer do much couponing as it is cheaper and healthier for me but it was fun at times.

By the way in the late 80's one of my jobs was to comparison shop for a major clothing store and that was fun , though they frowned on it then as well.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I asked permission to take a photograph inside a Wegman's Supermarket in the US two years ago, and was told that it wasn't allowed, so I didn't do it. The reason I wanted to is that I wanted to show my DH what an American supermarket looks like (he's never been to the US) but they didn't care. They were too afraid I was using it for a competing business.

It's their business and I respected their wishes (and I did ask before doing anything) but I think it's small of them. As if other supermarkets aren't capable of going in there and snapping a photo with a smartphone anyway....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop with a list that I mark-off items placed in my cart. I just jot down prices in the margin of my list and add them to my price book when I get to the car, very covertly (it's not against the law here to do it; I just sometimes feel uncomfortable doing so).

I take pictures in the store with my smart phone all the time, to ask family members, "Is THIS what you wanted?" Granola bars, cereal, rice cakes, etc., to ensure I get them the correct item. I've never been asked not to do so. I didn't even THINK a store would have issue with that. Learn something new here every day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so if they cant stop you from compareing prices off the receipt go in buy everything on your list and when you find it cheaper else where return it all. they might get the hint after several carts a day of returned food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know how it is in the UK, but in the country where I live, you can't return food to a supermarket for public health reasons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OOwl, I think your "covert" method is going to be the way to go for most people , when other stores adopt this approach.

At first I felt weird about marking things in my notebook, mainly because shoppers thought I worked there (even though I obviously didn't), but now I've noticed a lot of people doing it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had a few store employees follow me around at Winco. I had my phone out and was noting prices. I was trying to find out what was cheaper, a big bag on the shelf or buying some out of bulk. I had a kid with me and pointedly told him that we needed to go back to the bulk to see which was cheaper. The guy walked off after that.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast