What is the best item you bought and has lasted a long time
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What is the best item you bought and has lasted a long time

Be it a brand of shoes, car, clothing,etc...Spirit Deer mentioned in another thread she buys vintage items known for lasting a while. I guess my $29 dollar Walmart Dr.schols would be it for me...They have been put throught the wash many times and still look new. Janine
    On Baby Step # 6 $18,670
    Mortgage pay off October 1 2014
    Proud supporter of Blessings In A Backpack and SPCA
    CrossFit lover

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just thinking along this line last night.........

think I would have to mention several, can't pick a favorite.

My CHEAP temp. probe meat fork..........I use it for any meat except bacon (of course) and think I bought it over ten years ago.....and haven't even had to change the batteries yet.

The other thing.........my Staheakum slippers that I live in all winter long. They are a tie up, sheepskin lined, suede outer, with indoor/outdoor sole and have washed them often. They
    always come out looking like new.
    Years old and starting to look rough so have already bought
    another pair. But refuse to wear new ones until these DIE!

Am sure there are other things........but these come to mind right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This one's easy for me, my 1994 Toyota Corolla. My mom still drives it with no (knock on wood) problems at all! Meanwhile I've gone through one Camry a 1999 that lasted until 2009 and currently driving a 2010 Camry that I doubt will last until it is paid off--quality just isn't the same as it used to be....but the 1994 just chuggs along happily.

Other than that, the late 1970s model Toshiba black and white television that lasted well into the 1990s when we finally gave it to goodwill (still worked perfectly....and probably would still work if not for the mandatory switch to digital tv a few years ago).

I miss being able to buy something and keep it for decades. Everyone is so big on the flat screens now, I got one in 2008 it died in 2010...so much for quality....I wish I could have my 1970 toshiba back, bet it would still work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did not buy all of these some where given to me/us but lasted long

Silver baby spoon that has feed 5 generations of babies in my family

Our microwave 20 years old still used daily

The 89 dodge ram truck that my father bought new and drove daily until his death that now waits to be given by my mom to Buddy after he gets his lisence

Hubby's boots

Battery radio given to me 34 years ago daily use for those 34years.

My American girl doll handed down to little miss

Most of our furniture bought by my grandparents still in use at our house

A fleece sweatshirt worn a few times a week during winter for 13 years

Eastpak backpacks buddy used mine from high school when the zipper broke in Buddy's 5 th grade year they fixed it for free he now has a new l l bean one as he needed a bigger one for his book it is on fourth year little Miss's Eastpak backpack is on 9 th year of taking her stuff to school started in mom 's morning out then preschool the kindergarten - 5th still looks new

I expect my stuff to last and get disappointed when it does not which does not happen often
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our 1986 GMC Safari van, which we bought in 1989. It finally reached the point where it didn't make sense to fix it anymore. It had close to 200,000 trouble-free miles on it.

Cast iron cookware. Can't go wrong with that. If you take care of it, it'll last forever unlike cheap coated non-stick pans, and if the seasoning gets damaged, it's an easy DIY fix to make it stick-resistant again, plus it doesn't give off any toxic fumes during use or flake off bits of toxic coatings when you have the audacity to use ordinary utensils on it.

My Viking 990 sewing machine, which I bought in 1986 and proceeded to use through sewing for eight kids and my husband's jobs which required him to wear business suits. It has paid for itself many times over.

My Chandler industrial sewing machine which I bought in 1990. I would be surprised if it doesn't outlive me.

Our DeWalt drills. We've only owned them ten or fifteen years, but they've taken a beating in that time and are still trouble-free. I have bad wrists and even though they weigh seven pounds each, they are so well designed and well balanced I can work with one all day with minimal pain.

Our freezer, bought in 1976. I'm wondering how long the new one we bought last month will last.

Our huge side by side fridge, bought in 1987. It acted up last year and we thought we'd have to buy a new one. Research showed the life expectancy of a new fridge is a mere seven years. A similar one to what we have would have cost almost $2,000. For seven years? Rip-off. Fortunately the problem turned out to be a broken light switch, replaced from Ace Hardware for $7.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1989 Nissan Sentra. DH bought it in 1989 when he was in the Marines. In just a few weeks, the thing will be 23 years old. The last time I looked at the odometer (about a month ago), it said 378,xxx. We are hoping to get another year out of it. We would like to get more than that out of it, but we realize that it is getting towards the end of its lifecycle.

I second the cast iron. The stuff just won't die. I usually look for old ones when I hit the thrift stores. I plan on sending the guys off in the world with two skillets each.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Scarf and gloves back in the early 80's. Still really warm and look great.

Calculator bought in the 80's. Still works.

A pair of small scissors bought at Macy's on sale for $20 in the 80's. They are still super sharp and have never been sharpened. At the time the lady said they were really good scissors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hubbys dewalt drills
    crafts man tools
    levi's for hubby
    carhart any thing
    believe it or not faded glory wally jeans are great work jeans
    my freezer paid 100 dollars for it 17 years ago
    my nike tennis shoes always last me for at least 5 years
    my kitchen aid mixer hand me down from grandmas sister is way old looks like at least 80 -90's. still hums right along
    my broyhill bedroom suite and dr suite got them new 12 years ago still look great.....chairs to dr went bye bye but the table still going.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Scarf and gloves back in the early 80's. Still really warm and look great.

Calculator bought in the 80's. Still works.

A pair of small scissors bought at Macy's on sale for $20 in the 80's. They are still super sharp and have never been sharpened. At the time the lady said they were really good scissors.
    Oh my Gingher scissors given to me 29 years ago. My they are good still.

And my singer sewing machine given to me when I was 17 as a birthday present.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There's a pair of suede boots I bought in... 1983 I think that just won't die. I would have thought something would rip or wear out on those by now.

I had a coat given to me around 1989 that I just replaced last month. Not a rip or tear on it, washed up beautifully every time, but the zipper finally gave up.

I still own the two towels I bought from Penny's in 88 or 89. And they still look good.

I have stuff that belonged to my grandparents, and vintage stuff, but those are things that I got new.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A lot of my workhorse kitchen tools that I received as wedding presents 15.5 years ago, like my KitchenAid mixer, Cuisinart food processor, All Clad pans, and Wusthof knives. Everything gets near-daily use and is still going strong.

Kara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Bernina sewing machine. I didn't buy it - DH surprised me with it in 1977. No computer controls; just a great machine with a few fancy stitches. I get it serviced every year or so, and it's never given me any trouble.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have cast iron skillets I've had since I got married 28 1/2 years ago.
    I have maple end tables my parents bought when our house burned down when I was 10...36 years old...They are in near perfect condition still.
    Earth stove my parents also bought when I was 10. It will be moving to our new house with us.
    Our first microwave lasted for 10/12 years.
    Our first washer and dryer...Maytag lasted 18/19 years.
    Our dining room set is 22 years old. Its starting to get a bit rickety. We will be replacing in when we move to our new house.
    My fil's freezer which we have now inherited is about 45 years old and still runs perfectly. When my fil passed we found the 1 year warranty in his papers...we thought that was hysterically funny. LOL
    My deep freeze is 22 years old and still working perfectly.
    My mom gave me her rocking chair that my dad bought 33 years ago. Its in my living room now.
    My dh had an old 79 Ford truck and it just bit the dust about a year ago. We sold the motor out of it so its still going. LOL
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This got me thinking of something else...since most items are from 70s-80s...is alot of it made in the USA?
    On Baby Step # 6 $18,670
    CrossFit lover

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i was just asking cause I received some of my grandmas baking pans that she got as a wedding present in the 1950's...there are still shiny...made in Canada...we don't have much of that here anymore unfortunately.
    On Baby Step # 6 $18,670
    CrossFit lover

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast