It's time ~ the garden goes from hobby to necessity - Page 32
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks tripleb. We're harvesting beans and zucchini at the moment. DH was out there thinning the carrots. I've been picking lettuce pretty continually. Also enjoying mint tea every day.

We've been watching the spaghetti squash grow. Along with the tomatoes and green peppers. Even the onions are starting to grow larger.

We saw berries coming on the strawberries again, so we picked the pots up and put them on the side bars of the BBQ to keep the squirrels away from them. At least we THINK it was squirrels. If it turns out to be birds we're sunk.

I had to laugh. Birds must not like cilantro. My lettuce in the pots with cilantro is being left alone. But the lettuce with the onions is being picked to death by the birds. It is so comical to watch them go at the lettuce! Worth planting just for the sight.

A couple of cucumber plants DID make it through the anthracnose and pests. They are flowering now and I see little cucumbers starting. These are called Patio Cucumbers, so I don't think they'll get very large.

Our boarder is funny. Every day she comes home from school and checks out the garden, especially the tomatoes. She eats tomatoes like they are apples. Good thing I planted 12 plants! We have a lot of green tomatoes right now.

DH is very impressed with the patio garden this year. I think it's inspired him to continue doing more next year. As long as I keep on top of the bugs and diseases, and how much he waters (the zucchini pot is growing mushrooms too), we do alright.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    We saw berries coming on the strawberries again, so we picked the pots up and put them on the side bars of the BBQ to keep the squirrels away from them. At least we THINK it was squirrels. If it turns out to be birds we're sunk.
    If you have Robins.............bet it is the birds!!! They can spot a strawberry growing under the lowest leaf and totally annihilate it!! One today got my very biggest berry..............that wasn't quite ready to pick........and I haven't even gotten any in the freezer this year!!

My berries did so poorly in the first growth---with all our rain---that I didn't even put the bird protectors over them...........and I will have to fight for every berry I get on my second growth!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i planted some patio bush style cucumbers just to see what they would do..lol they are climbers just like the regular ones..lol. The cucumbers have more spines on them then the munchers that we like to plant but they are cucumbers!
    http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com

Trying to be more self sufficient here on our farm!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a boatload of green tomatoes on my plants ~ but darnit, are they ever going to turn red????

The okra are producing nicely. I love steamed okra... I finally learned to get out there and get 'em before they go hard...

Brussel sprouts are forming on the plants ....Dh loves them, I can't stand them...

My eggplants are so tiny before they fall off the plant- guess it's weather related...

The bean plants are loaded- guess I better get picking...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SS: are eggplants like squash? With male and female flowers? Could be you need to get out there and do some hand pollinating with a Q-tip. That's what I did with the zucchini this year. Seems to be a shortage of bees and insects to pollinate things. We don't even have mosquitoes this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut; thanks for the pics. Do you think you could cover strawberry plants with cheesecloth or that plain tulle (to keep the birds away) (I'm writing that down for next year because the white moths have totally destroyed my brussel sprouts and broccoli).
    Love the cilantro keeping the birds away!!! I'm finding over the long years of gardening that the stuff you pay for in the garden center to get rid of all these problems (bugs/birds/rabbits) that cost a fortune don't work and simple ideas that we come up with or find out by accident work WAY better.
    SS you're garden seems to be doing WONDERFUL!!!!! I planted my tomatoes very early and have been getting alot; but I''m sure not getting the other produce that you are. I've been having a huge problem with cucumbers the last few years and have no idea why!!!! We have teeny spaghetti squash; (first time I've grown it. Keep trying watermelon and cantalope (no luck with that) Rutabaga, potatoes (1st time growing) mild peppers coming in slowly. AND green/red/yelow peppers (they are the slowest growing garden plant there is) I'm going to plant some cold weather crops next month. First time I will try that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    SS: are eggplants like squash? With male and female flowers? Could be you need to get out there and do some hand pollinating with a Q-tip. That's what I did with the zucchini this year. Seems to be a shortage of bees and insects to pollinate things. We don't even have mosquitoes this year.
    I don't know about the male/female thing - but any other time I have grown them I have done nothing to them but love them. They are forming, growing, but are very small. But at the grocery our eggplants have been on the small side too. I think it is weather related somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    SS you're garden seems to be doing WONDERFUL!!!!! I planted my tomatoes very early and have been getting alot; but I''m sure not getting the other produce that you are. I've been having a huge problem with cucumbers the last few years and have no idea why!!!! We have teeny spaghetti squash; (first time I've grown it. Keep trying watermelon and cantalope (no luck with that) Rutabaga, potatoes (1st time growing) mild peppers coming in slowly. AND green/red/yelow peppers (they are the slowest growing garden plant there is) I'm going to plant some cold weather crops next month. First time I will try that.
    My spaghetti squash is very small too. I have been harvesting it and eating it though, and it tastes fine. The peppers are not as large as years past either. My zucchini & yellow squash are like monsters - one day they are a flower and the next they are like elephants. You are supposed to pick them when smal,l coz they taste better, but I have heard from others that even though they are huge this year, they still taste great. So I have been letting them get bigger, coz that gives me more veggie... and I like to get the biggest bang for my buck I can - lol

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I only have two spaghetti squash growing and they are on the small side right now.

I also only have two zucchini. We picked one small, but I'm letting the other grow large so I have some grated zucchini for the freezer this winter.

We have a boatload of green tomatoes right now. Am hoping to harvest those in a few weeks.

This is the first time I've grown green peppers. They seem small, BUT I am growing mine in pots. I'm not sure how that affects growth or if it does.

Some of my plants seem to be getting ready to die already. They've been fruiting and they look like they're about to call it quits. Not sure what's going on. We've been fertilizing and watering, and they've given some fruit, but not a lot, much to my dismay. Oh well. Take what you can get I guess!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my spaghetti squash didnt do well this year at all so i think i wont be growing them again. I have tons of yellow pear tomatoesbut dh doesnt like them so well as the skins are pretty tough. i never have very large green peppers as i let my plants grow more than one per plant, that is how they get such large peppers at the grocery store.
    http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com

Trying to be more self sufficient here on our farm!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SS, I felt the same way about my tomatoes. Just a few days ago, the plum tomato plant finally came through!! Harvested 16 tomatoes off of it last night!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The stupid deer munched the tops off of my potatoes. They were growing so well. I'm starting seeds but it's still way too hot here in Fla. I'm going with container gardening and keeping everything under the trees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had the first two strawberries off the plants today! Boy! Were they ever sweet. So nice.

We've been eating beans too. And I picked a green tomato. It was getting so big the top was starting to split. I decided it would make a good green tomato for a Green Tomato Casserole. I'll keep an eye on the other tomatoes to see if they start to split at the top.

I broke down and picked the big zucchini. It was well over 15" long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Harvested two pluots off the tree today. Ate one ear of corn right off of the stalk. (And the goats enjoyed the stalk!)
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here you go ~ garden pictures.....

I was counting and keeping track of all the veggies that I was pulling from the garden in my signature - but it got too crazy. They were coming too fast, I was giving some away, bartering with others... I simply lost count.

I wanted to see if the garden would pay for itself and been worth it. With over 100 zucchini's & 100 yellow squash already (and no end in sight) - add in all the other goodies - and it's been a goldmine!

Someone told me the other day "Growing a garden is like growing money in your backyard".... Ever since I was little - I wanted to grow a moneytree.... woohoo~

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love the pictures SS! It really looks lovely in your garden.

We had a young lady from church over to help weed the patio garden yesterday. She's from Africa and had never seen some of the common plants we had growing. She had no idea where her food came from. It was interesting to take the time to introduce her to different fruits and veggies. I found it kind of funny because her dad is a plantation owner in Africa. He grows pineapples. But I guess our kind of vegetables are rare there, if at all!

DH wants to expand the patio garden next year. He also wants to expand the patio. I think we should get the basement issues sorted out first and go from there.

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 ... LastLast