no good deed goes unpunished
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unhappy no good deed goes unpunished

About a month ago I finally convinced dh to have a checkup He hadnt had one in quite a few years he really hates Doctors almost to the point of crazy. Well its good that we went cause he found out he has some mild high blood pressure Dr put him on meds and they didnt work well he has since changed them and now bp is better. He also had blood work and all is good . Well should be a happy ending right? Nope he decides to attempt to quit smoking with much encouragement from me of course. Dr puts him on chantix and that seems to work but holy cow the mood swings were unbelieveable almost to the point of pyschotic So he goes off the chantix and he is miserable . He acts like he quit crack He is so unhappy not smoking I dont know what to do . Its been a month and he still is so high strung nasty and miserable its a nightmare. I have told him if this is the way its going to be go back to smoking He even takes meds for his nerves but I think he misses smoking so much he is so unhappy . I should have left things alone because I havent had a days peace in months
    Married to Manny 25 years
    Self-employed with our own property management business E3 property solutions
    4 kids Rob Tom Jen Manny jr

2 great inlaws Kelly and Jason

a big bernese mt dog and a fluffy pomerian Loki and Foxy my fur babies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs. Find out what he is missing about smoking, for some its the hand occupation, for others the bitter flavor. He might be able to find a substitute for either of them that may help him be less miserable.

My old boss loved to smoke but quit for obvious health reasons. It took a good while for her to "even" out.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How long did he stay on the Chantix? If I remember the TV ads correctly they say don't go off the med cold turkey. Is this what he did?
    I know the "possible" side effects in the ad were horrible.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More August
    Goal 20
    Accomp/14

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/9

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kevin was on this as well...and I agree you can't just quit it cold turkey...it is a med that effects the brain to stop the cravings...Kevin had very vivid dreams while on it but that was it...He should see his DR again,sorry you are going through this.
    On Baby Step # 6 $18,670
    Mortgage pay off October 1 2014
    Proud supporter of Blessings In A Backpack and SPCA
    CrossFit lover

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A huge share of any big change in life is mindset. If he hasn't fully embraced the idea of quitting mentally and emotionally, that might be at least part of the problem.

Good luck. Lots of challenges for him right now, and you too. I hope he does not go back to smoking, and that he is able to get back to feeling better so he doesn't take his frustrations out on those around him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ask his doctor if nicotine gum or the nicotine patch is a possibility for him. I know I saw on Dateline or 20/20 once that a nicotine addition is worse than heroin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used chantix to quit smoking. Really helped to stop smoking. Looking back I remember being in a horrible mood once I stopped taking chantix. One thing that did help was walking. I walked a couple miles a day which really seemed to help with the stress. Chantix has many side effects.

Hopefully your husbands mood will start to even out. Also used a website for people who were quitting smoking. It is called quitnet. Helped make things more bearable hearing other people going through the same thing and how they coped. Hopefully he will be able to figure out better ways to cope with not smoking. There were many different reasons I lit up a cigarette. It took a long time to figure out ways to handle things differently without the cigarettes.

It also sounds as if his system is going through alot between the blood pressure medication, quit smoking and chantix medication and medication for his nerves. I would talk with the doctor about the medication for his nerves. It could be exasberating the situation.

Talk to him about what he feels he needs help with to cope. Does he have a hard time dealing with the unexpected, just calming down and relaxing instead of reacting, when does he feel calm, etc. Exercise, quiet medication, deep breathing exercises, listening to music, etc., can help him relax and calm his mind. It may take a little time to figure out what will work best for him.

Hang in there. Realize you are dealing with a lot. Your husband really seems to be trying to help himself but it may be to much for his system all at once.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My ds quit smoking using Wellbutrin. I NEVER thought he'd be able to quit and this worked for him.

Thank you for trying to help shoiji; no one knows the situation better than someone who has been in it!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much everyone spoke with dr he had changed the nerve med once already so he said to try and cope for a little while longer and we will see easy for him to say I think alot ofthe problem is the not smoking he used cigs as a coping mechinism to calm down when he got stressed which is often just a very high strung guy My son used welbutrin also and had success I mentioned it to the dr and he said thats for depression your husband isnt depressed I however am not so sure. I too hope he doesnt go back to smoking as he already looks and sounds better send some positive thoughts everyone and thanks again for caring
    Married to Manny 25 years
    Self-employed with our own property management business E3 property solutions
    4 kids Rob Tom Jen Manny jr

2 great inlaws Kelly and Jason

a big bernese mt dog and a fluffy pomerian Loki and Foxy my fur babies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since the wellbutrin worked for your son and the dr won't hear of it for your dh even though he seems to be having alot of problems with what the dr prescribed; maybe you should change dr's. IMHO thst seems to be unreasonable that he won't hear of it. My ds was not diagnosed with depression when he was given the prescription for it either.
    Good luck to you both and let us know what happens

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wellbutrin is rat poison used in a mild form to treat heart patients. I never heard of it used to help people quit smoking. Hmm... my son-in-law used Zyban to help him quit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wellbutrin and Zyban are the same med... and yes it is prescribed to help stop smoking.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion"]Bupropion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    napswithkats

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks naps I thought that but could not remember the info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since your husband is on medication for his nerves there is probably a reason your dr does not want to put him on Welbutrin which is also used as an anti-depressant. Welbutrin has many side affects which could exacerbate his current condition with his nerves.

Hopefully your husband will find some relief soon. Did your doctor say how long it would take for the chantix to be out of his system. Encourage your husband to find another outlet to help him relax. Does he enjoy listen to music, hiking, fishing, etc. Hang in there.