Frugal Village Forums banner

Would You Go to the Middle of New Hampshire for Vacation?

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  RandomA1 
#1 ·
Please help me make a decision. I purchased a groupon deal last year for a week long resort vacation for just $400. That is a total bargain seeing as how the 6 of us won't fit in a regular hotel room. I was so excited about this vacation as we rarely go on them. There were so many options at the time I just knew we would find a great place to go for cheap!

Fast forward to when I can make my reservation and there is nothing! We are in OH and there are plenty of places in UT or ID, but that is a really long drive and we are trying to keep this frugal, you know? I called the place today and they have 2 options for me - Hot Springs Arkansas (no desire to go there!) or Lincoln, New Hampshire. This one could be interesting, but in early June it looks like it might still be cold, especially in the mountains. What would you do? What is there to do there other than White Mountain?

#2 ·
As a Granite Stater (though I live in the southern part of the state) iI am proud to boast NH is a beautiful state, great for a vacation.

visitwhitemountains dot com for info on what to do in the area. I myself am partial to Clarks' trading post and the Flume. Lots of TERRIFIC hikes to do, for all levels, some great theme park type places if you have younger kids (santa's village, storyland).

June is iffy- could be quite cool still, or quite warm. You know what they say abut New England weather: 'If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!'

#4 ·
We liked Hot Springs, actually. Besides, Hot Springs is only about sixty miles from Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, the only diamond mine in the world where you can dig for diamonds and keep whatever you find.

Sure, I'd go to New Hampshire from Ohio. Why not? Every state has something to offer. Go to their tourism website and see what's there of interest. It's a small state so I bet lots of things are in a day's drive for day trips.

I wouldn't go to Utah or Idaho from Ohio if I only had a week, forget the money. We're trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to make a pedal to the metal trip to Yellowstone from Minnesota in a week. Answer is probably no, although it's tempting. There's just too much to do and see on a trip like that. We took two weeks to go to YS two years ago and wished for another week.

#6 ·
I'd absolutely go. Pack for cool weather and enjoy the hiking, fishing and scenery. The White Mountains are a rather large region, and very beautiful to drive or walk through.

A quick search turns up a number of tourist activities the family might enjoy, too. Among other things it's a skiing destination in winter and there is sure to be at least one gondola running to the top of the slopes so you can see the amazing views.

#7 ·
Ok, we are doing it! I called the company back and made our reservations. I am so excited! it should be super relaxing and a day trip to Boston is definitely on the agenda. Now - to get the kids on board, they were all like "what?" when I told them where we were going. They were hoping the beach down south LOL.

#8 ·
Altho I live in southern NH. My parents have a home in the white mountains. We go there ALOT.

I've never been to Arkansas, but like someone said every state has stuff to offer.

NH: All of the attractions I believe have websites. Not cheap, but sometimes you can find coupons for some of the attractions.

Lost River - like a nature hike thru wooded area with running water, rocks to climb thru. They also have a sleuce (?sp) - like the miners use - kids can buy a bag of dirt with minerals in it and put it in the screen thingy to separate the dirt and find their minerals. My son likes this because he has a mineral collection. With a few kids tho it adds up in price.

The Flume - again another nature hike thru trails, thru rocks, all naturally formed by glaciers I believe.

Hobo Railroad - Personally I thought this was a major rip off. It's a scenic train ride you can get lunch included (which was a disgusting sandwich) and NOT cheap. There is an area with mini golf, but always seems crowded.

Whale's Tail - Water Amusement Park.

Clark's Trading Post - Fun attraction we liked it. They also have a show with their trained bears.

You can drive along the Kancamangus (?sp) Highway which is beautiful and there's plenty of free scenic areas to stop. You can go swimming in the water along the sides of the road (water is freezing tho), picnic tables along the way where lots of people stop to picnic.

Old Man on the Mountain - Altho the Old Man fell a few years ago it's still a beautiful attraction and area for swimming, picnicing, etc.

Santa's Village - Amusement park with water rides also.

North Conway - Outlet Shopping.

Plenty of areas to pull over and swim, fish, picnic.
Lots of restaurants - depending on what you like you can find inexpensive places to eat.

#10 ·
We really like outdoorsy stuff, so it really sounds perfect. We also love small college towns - are there any around there? I think it would be fun for the kids if we did either an amusement park or water park one day - except it would have to be fairly cheap because there are 6 of us. There is only so much I will pay for 1 day's entertainment - and it isn't much!

I am getting really excited, I have always wanted to go to that area of the country.

#11 ·
I will caution you that Boston is not an easy town to drive in. I lived and worked there for a number of years, and it is a beautiful city, but driving there is not for the timid. And parking is next to impossible to find downtown in the historic areas. So either plan well, or choose a day when you are feeling especially relaxed and patient.

#13 ·
Go to Lincoln NH!!!! It is beautiful....lots of little hikes, lots of things to see. I practically grew up in the White Mountains and would suggest it to anyone!

#14 ·
also, a day trip to Boston...you would be looking at a 2+ hour ride each way...that's if you don't go during rush hour traffic. Boston is a great city but parking can be expensive.
You would be closer going to Portsmouth NH (down rte 16) or to the Maine coastline. a lot cheaper too.

#15 ·
what ages are the kids? There is Storyland in Glen.Story Land - Childrens/Kids Theme Park (Glenn New Hampshire)

The Kancamagus (Kank-a-mau'-gus) is a beautiful road but the kids might get antsy in the car for too long. There are places to turn off and walk around.
The Flume is family friendly The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation : Flume Gorge & Visitor Center
Just for grins, here is the local Chamber of Commerce. This Week in Lincoln Woodstock - Lincoln Woodstock NH Chamber of Commerce Pack a variety of clothes. Nights can be chilly even on the 4th of July.
Have fun!!

piney

#16 ·
Yep, I know Boston is tough, my dh and I went there for a day on our honeymoon. We would try to take the train in. Dh is a history teacher and there is just so much historical stuff there it would great to take the kids. But we would need a good plan to make it work. I wonder how long the walking tours are?

We are going to Lincoln, and I am getting really excited! I love all these ideas and really need to start planning exactly what and where we are going. I think I want to limit it to 2 day trips and then keep the rest of the days open to explore right around the White Mountains. Thanks everyone!

#17 ·
Somone mentioned a day trip to Vermont- not sure exactly far from where you'll be (1.5-2 hrs?), but shouldn't be too far to the Burlington VT area- home to Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory and the Vermont Teddy Bear factory- both which offer tours.

For Boston, it is easy to drive to the 'Alewife' station. Parking is CHEAP (been a while since I've been, but expect $10 or less) and you can take the T into wherever you wish to go.

I don't think you'll regret your choice- the area is simpy beautiful, with lots of fammily friendly activities.

#19 ·
#21 ·
That sounds great Piney. Right now, I am not sure if we will be going back to those places this year.

I do know OldMan and Diva want to hike the Cannon Mountain trail to the weather tower (them, not me... I did part of it last year, unsuccessfully). There are also trips to Flume, Basin and fishing at Echo Beach in the works.

I have to look in to what is open when we go - this time, we're thinking the week after Labor Day.

#24 ·
Ok, we have a plan! I only want to do 2 day trips and have the rest of the time to relax. So we are going into Boston one day. I got tickets for a Freedom Trail walking tour for $6 each on Living Social, yay! I think we will also do the Boston Commons and swan boats (cheap!) and hopefully go by the Red Sox stadium and walk along the water some.

The other day trip will be to Vermont. We will hit the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory and then head into Burlington. I got half priced tickets for a cruise on Lake Champlain. It is narrated with all sorts of stories from the Revolutionary war I guess. The boys will love it! It will be totally different for us and hopefully fun.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. We are getting very excited about the trip - although not about the black flies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.