The heat is on ~ How are you going to combat high a/c bills? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just dealing with the bill because I can't deal with the heat. I have hbp and don't do well in the heat at all. I keep it on 75. We have a wrap around porch which keeps the sun from directly hitting the windows and we also have black out curtains on the 3 bedroom windows but I only pull those in the evening. During the day I need the light so I can leave the lights off. I just try to be frugal in other ways.
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's Junuary in the pacific northwest. I cannot decide if I like the weather around here or not. On the one hand it is pretty nice to not need a/c, on the other I am a little tired of the rain. Heat waves are a fairly rare occurance around here. We get a run on fans and window a/c units for a few days then we go back to not needing them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am out and about and working in the heat and humidity a lot this year! Thermostat is turned up to 80 degrees when I leave the house (we have dogs; so no warmer). I have no A/C in my truck and often ride my Harley. I am carrying a small cooler with refillable water bottles and ice, and drinking water, drinking water, drinking water, spritzing myself with water, wearing a cooldanna, etc.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i broke down and turned the ac on, it was 96 outside and probably 90 in here. Couldnt even move around the house with out keeping a sweat rag with you...lol. I did turn it back of in the evening as we had a cool front come in!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's been so nice to be able to have the windows and doors open the past few weeks. The nights have been cool and the days a little cooler with great breezes... I will enjoy it while it lasts...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by melodys View Post
    It's Junuary in the pacific northwest. I cannot decide if I like the weather around here or not. .
    Are you new to the PNW? Where did you move from?

I have had MY HEAT ON for the last week..................today was the first day w/o it..........and it could be on tomorrow as we are getting more rain!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just moved into a new home in April, so I'm still getting a feeling for how low I can set the A/C and still be comfortable with the bill. Fortunately my new place is new construction that's really well insulated. Unfortunately, I live in Florida and this year has been just ridiculously hot already. I've had the A/C set at 78, and it looks like that's running me about $75/month... and it's been 90-96 degrees every day. That's half what it costs me to set it at 78 in my last places that were similar size but not well insulated.

I think I'll drop it to 77 this month and see what that does to the bill; I'd be happy to pay a bit more to keep it a touch cooler and more comfortable. I also have ceiling fans in all bedrooms and the living room; those are on whenever there's anyone in the room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a swamp cooler, which is cheaper than an air conditioner. In the mornings, we use fans to bring in cool air. We close doors and windows to block out the sun, depending on which side of the house is getting the light. When the air outside is hotter than inside, we close all windows and turn on the fans. Once that becomes too much, we turn on the swamp cooler.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Are you new to the PNW? Where did you move from?

I have had MY HEAT ON for the last week..................today was the first day w/o it..........and it could be on tomorrow as we are getting more rain!
    I have been here about four years. Previously I lived in the central valley of California where it is sunny and hot hot hot. I have been here long enough to be comfortable with the temperatures, but not so long that it seems normal to get rain in June.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Well, it hit 97* yesterday, no ac here, and we did alright. The 8% humidity really helped along with keeping the cool overnight air locked in the house. We didn't like it but I wasn't breathless and lightheaded like I would have been at only 90* in NJ(humidity of 70%+!) I also used a window fan upstairs to pull some of the hot air out and the cool air up from the basement. The kids played in the pool half the day and I sat in the shade reading.
    And a new thing I'm doing this week is cooking outside. I've never had an outlet outside before but there's one right on the deck here. So I've been plugging my crock-pot in out there. I may not be saving any money on AC bills but it helps keep the indoor temperature more comfortable.
    Today I'm making some quickie curtains for my north-east windows. I didn't think they'd get so much sun but the morning light hours are really heating up the living areas.
    I'm also wondering if there's some way to use the fireplace to draft hot air out of the upstairs? ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, am getting ready for a heat wave starting tomorrow. Supposed to start heating up today then a heat warning in effect until Friday. Right now the bedroom window and balcony door are open and the fans are going. Will close them up later. Have the storm windows down. Hopefully the extra layer of glass will keep the cool air inside. So starting tomorrow I will be living in the cave atmosphere wondering how long I can go without putting the air on. Keeping fingers crossed I can hold out for a while.

Thank goodness FV is here. Otherwise would have difficulty finding other people who go to the lengths I do to stay cool while saving money. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess we are "lucky" as we don't have AC. We live in a moderate climate and have a floor fan for when it gets hot. It has been raining here this week!
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I HAD MY HEAT ON AGAIN TODAY.............just to take off the chill. Not on yesterday at all and not much warmer today so by noon I couldn't stand it anymore..............you guys are having HEAT WAVES...........and I am having just plain HEAT!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are all wishing we were you, Frugalfranny. It was 96 here in Ohio yesterday and supposed to hit 92 today. I don't think the a/c stopped running yesterday all day. DH loves him some a/c. I could do with less, but yesterday was a killer. The dog was on the floor all day. She knows where the cool is. Heehee.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a walk in early this morning. Was also able to get an errand in. By the time I got home my shirt had wet marks. Yup, the heatwave has started. Took a cool shower to help cool me down. All the blinds and curtains are drawn and the fans are going. Right now it is 76 degrees inside. Will see how long I can go without turning the AC on. It is going to be in the 90's but supposed to feel like 100. Checked on the plants outside and they have enough water.

Feel like the battle is starting to keep the place cool. Forunately I do not have to turn the stove or oven on. Dinner will be leftovers and a salad. Plus I have food in the freezer for the rest of the week. Cat is lying under the chair think she is upset she didn't go outside on the balcony.

Hope everyone is able to stay cool. Will send the heatwave your way frugalfanny.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast