The heat is on ~ How are you going to combat high a/c bills? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Will send the heatwave your way frugalfanny.
    frugalfRanny.......

BUT PLEASE...............without the humidity!! With all our rain this spring we have also had higher humidity, and we had a couple days where I was thinking of the people on here that have high humidity............UGH!! When you are not used to it...............

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We just turned the AC on earlier this month. It's in the upper 80's / low 90's the past few weeks. I just couldn't take it anymore!

AC is set at 78. It feels great to us compared to no AC at all!

I try to do laundry/run the dishwasher in the evenings, so it doesn't add to the heat inside the house. Most times I've been washing most dishes by hand, then putting them in the dishwasher just to drip dry. That's the easiest way to me.

It's going to be a hot summer here - with lots of fleas/ticks/bugs in general because we had such a mild winter.

I don't know if it truly makes a difference or not?
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Averaged billing plan is available from utility companies after you lived in home/apartment for a year so every month is same payment. Amount resets every year in fall here. Only drawback is if you move and have an outstanding balance, you have to pay this off before service is turned on elsewhere.

Tanks tops and shorts plus 78 or 80 degrees helps electric bills. When using oven, fill it up and cook for the week or two. If possible, use microwave, crock pot and stovetop only. Dry clothing on a rack or outside. Don't leave TV running for noise -- use a radio.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Right now the two fans are going full blast. I am thinking about purchasing a floor fan that would force the cool air from the stairwell up to my place. Not sure if it would be worth it in the long run. Letting my hair air dry so that is really helping me stay cool. Cat is stretched out under my chair upset because it is the second day without going on the balcony.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just came in from the garden and looked at the weather station - it reads 99.3

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Live on the Gulf coast too and it is hot, hot, hot. Heavy dark drapes it's totally dark in here also. A/c set on 75 and I have threatened murder if anyone touches it !!!!!! The back bedroom which I have turned into a den, is the coolest room in the entire house so we stay in there. Lot's of floor fans plus ceiling fans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here comes the heatwave ~

Tomorrow 102 and Friday 103 predicted....

The mornings have been quite cool, weird.
    I have been opening the house up wide about 5am (Dh can't tolerate open windows all night with his sinus problems) - so we open it up about 5am and keep it open for a few hrs. I have been placing a big box fan in the patio door and letting it blow in all the cool air from outside. Then when it seems to be getting muggy out, we close it up.

The house stays quite cool until early evening. Then we turn the A/C down to about 80 (I know, haha... but it is usually about 85) for a few hrs. Dh bumps it down a few more degrees when he goes to bed and lets the box fan blow on him.

So far it's working... We will see what the next few days bring...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With the high temps we are experiencing we are being asked to turn our thermostat up a couple of degrees, turn off tvs, computer monitors, appliances, etc. that aren't being used, not to use the oven, stove, dryer, or heat setting on the dishwasher between 3 and 7 p. m. If usage gets too high, there will be rolling blackouts. A small town just south of me had a fire at an electrical station and everybody was without power for several hours yesterday.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can't even imagine all the things that are plugged in at people's homes these days. Add into that A/C's running on overtime, and it's no wonder the 'power houses' can't handle it all. I just wonder though how many people 'take heed' to what is being asked of them and how many, like everything else - thinks that this just doesn't apply to them.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had the balcony door open this morning to get some fresh air. Now everything is closed up. The heatwave is starting again. Just looked at a map showing the US and temps. Looks like everyone is having a heatwave. The humidity is low so it isn't bad yet.

Tomorrow will try turning a fan on downstairs to see if I can get the cool air to come upstairs. Hoping that may help a little. Luckily I found two fans that I forgot about so I do not need to buy another one.

Stay cool everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our heat index is supposed to go to 114 F today. I hope I don't run out of gas before I get to a station. I have a feeling I am going to have to use the air today!
    Jeanne

Married to Frank 31 years, no children, 2 dogs

CC # 1 and # 2 PIF
    BEF $5,100Car Loan # 1 $16,000:
    Car Loan # 2 PIF
    RV LOAN $57,000/17,000
    HELOC 38,000/PIF

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The temperature gauge is showing 108.3 outside.

I have a tri-level w/ 3 bedrooms and a bath on the upper level. 2 of the bedroom doors are closed and our MBR has the ceiling fan running and a box fan sitting on the dresser moving the air around. The shades are drawn. Attached to the MBR and going out into the hall is a bathroom. The vent fan is running so that I can pull the hot air at the ceiling out into the attic. So far I have managed to maintain the temp at 81 upstairs.

The main level is a little cooler (don't have the temp reading here, but one can feel it. Shades are drawn, and even though the sun is not beating on the windows at the moment, I think having the curtains closed is helping keep the hotter air temps out. I will be leaving them shut for the day. 2 ceiling fans are running on this level.

The lower level is nice and cool (always is being partially underground)... It is becomes too unbearable we can always retreat to that level. (Not a bad place to be - Dh's office is down there, my craft room, a TV room and bath)...

Dh is out on the golf course (NUTS??? Well, yes) - so when he comes in I am sure the A/C will be turned on. Even then, he keeps it around 78 degrees so it's not too bad.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YAY! We have some clouds and just got a decent downpour! The last couple of rains in and around the Houston area have NOT come to my house. It is currently only 91 degrees instead of the upper 90's. I will take ANY reduction in temps I can get.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it is just plain hot here...it was 96 at seven pm and it is now 89....house got nice and cooled off with the cooler temps we had last week...so, yesterday while it stll wasnt hot out, and the house was at 72 i turned on the air and set it at 73....so it wouldnt have to work so hard to cool down. worked like a charm! fans running in bedrooms. air is currently set at 72 and it is comfy in the house for sleeping and will be kept at this temp w/ a/c til this heatwave goes away! which isnt until late next week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't believe the humidity here already. I went to water my plants and you can definatly tell the difference between indoors and outside. Cat was not happy about not going outside. It is around 78 degrees inside with the fans going. I do have two fans running in the stairwell. Will see if that helps to keep things cool here. Last night I ran the ac until I went to sleep and just kept the fan going in bedroom. Since it is going to the 70's at night am hoping I do not have to keep the ac on all night during the heat wave.

Already there have been power outages.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast