Exploding Corelle anyone?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Exploding Corelle anyone?

I was reading online (first mistake) about the potential for disaster with Corelle dinnerware, in that people are saying it can explode without warning. Has anyone experienced such a thing?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been using Corelle for almost 37 years; it has never exploded, but it has shattered when falling or hitting it on the faucet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes. We had a set of dishes when we were first married 20 years ago. One of the bowls shattered into tiny pieces after I microwaved some oatmeal in it. We threw the rest of the set away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been using Corelle for over 30 years. I've broken a few pieces mainly by banging the edges of the plates against something. I did have one cereal bowl sort of explode as I was taking it out of the cupboard. I think it had to do with friction as I sort of scraped it against the bowl underneath it as I took it out. It went into a million pieces with some force. I certainly did not throw away all the dishes due to one freak incident. Nothing is 100% fool proof and stuff happens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have used Corelle for ages and never had any problem of any kind. Use them in the micro LOTS.........even dropped one in the sink and it didn't break.
    HARDY STUFF!!

I was reading about some people having trouble with Pyrex though...........sounds like it is the new stuff........... that let's me out.......mine is old!!
    It was the same type of thing quoted for the Pyrex.......exploding.........hmmmm.............maybe we should fact check it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My parents have had a set of Corelle dishes for as long as I can remember and while my mother and I have had our casualties (we're clumsy, clumsy people) I don't recall it ever exploding.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, we have had it explode everywhere when we dropped it, but never from just being heated. I get a giggle out of the whole "unbreakable" thing. We have shattered so much Corellle. I actually had to go buy a few more pieces because we had broken so many.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've had ours for about 11 years, no casualties from us yet!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We break it all the time. The diswasher has split a plate or 2 and the microwave popped the whole rim off a bowl. We use a pattern from over 30 yrs ago. I just buy it when I find it at G.sales and S.A.
    I think exploding gives the wrong impression though.lol It was more of a chink sound.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had it shatter also when dropped. Explode , no. I wonder if it has something to do with sudden temperature change???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used it for 30 years..I have broken a few pieces when I have dropped them...I did have a pyrex explode when I set it out of the oven onto a hot burner on top of the stove...Now that was a mess..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw the Pyrex thing on Snopes when I was looking for info about Corelle. Sounds like the 'new' formula was back in the 1940's or something.

I've decided not to use the Corelle in my camper. I only had eight pieces I bought recently, since the new camper has a micro and our old one didn't. The dish set we've been using in the camper isn't micro safe, so I wanted just a few pieces we could use in the new micro.

In thinking this issue over, I've reluctantly reached the conclusion that even if it didn't explode, if we broke a piece it wouldn't be a lot of fun in such a small space, maybe with another person and a pet so close by. So I'm going to donate the pieces I bought and look for something that, if it breaks, doesn't create those razor-sharp shards.

Thanks for your input, everyone.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I saw the Pyrex thing on Snopes when I was looking for info about Corelle. Sounds like the 'new' formula was back in the 1940's or something.

That wasn't my 'take' on it............they started having problems after CHINA bought it...........no surprise there, china changed what they (prior C people) were using to make it..........let's see.......lime glass in the dishes, MELAMINE in my dog good.............oh yeah, love the 'world economy!!"

snopes.com: Exploding Pyrex

9 Complaints and Reviews about CorningWare

It is making my SUPER OLD Corelle pattern look better and better!!! Knew there was a GOOD reason I didn't want to buy new!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually, most Pyrex is still made in the US, as noted in your Snopes link. I've bought a few new sets in the past couple years made right here.

As for the complaints in your second link, I'm scratching my head over most of them. Corelle is like glass when it breaks, but Corningware isn't. So I'm unclear what these people are really talking about. I had a small cast iron Dutch oven jump off another DO onto a helpless Corningware casserole and break it, and it did not shatter like Corelle does. It was more like ceramic. Some of it was crushed into dust and the rest was either in large pieces or in small pieces that didn't have sharp edges.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 06-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

another thing that maybe should be brought up - the corningware coffepots and teapots are NOT safe to use - these are the ones with the metal band holding the handle on. It is glued on and the glue can give way at any point (like when it is full of hot coffee). I got this from Corning directly.

And yet I still see them sold at yard sales etc. If you have one, just use it for watering plants, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast