Higher Beef Prices too... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Look for meat at CashnCarry. They seem to have decent prices. It is quite a decent amount though. They don't have someone to cut it up for you though.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    Look for meat at CashnCarry. They seem to have decent prices. It is quite a decent amount though. They don't have someone to cut it up for you though.
    Yeah, and a friend of mine said it is pretty good meat.....they buy it. My problem is that I often won't have room in my freezer for something that size.........even if I cut it up............still want to try it sometime. Will need meat in a month or two and might do it then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am reading a book called "Portrait of the Burger as a Young Calf" - did you know that about half of the beef in fast food burgers comes from culled dairy cows? Many of which get rBST injections every week? So even if you are avoiding the hormone in your milk, you may be getting it in your burger.

And we wonder why girls are going through puberty at 8 years old.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Has anyone been to an animal auction lately?? Last time i was there a few weeks ago a slaughter cow/steer/bull was over $2.50 a lb, so that tells you why the price of beef is so high! Also Texas was in such a drought the last few years that most ranchers sold off their herds. Now this year we have had much more rain, the hay is alot cheaper. Last year round bales were running between $125-$150 now this year since most have cut hay 2-3 times round bales are running between $25-$50. Now no one has any cattle to feed it to. I buy jersey bull calves from the dairies, I used to be able to get them for around $25 now they are $125. Glad that i bought 5 last year as i cant afford to buy any calves this year. I grow my own beef and even with the cost of feed, hay and processing i run around $2.50-$3.00 a lb. I also raise my own chickens and they are organic they run me around $7 a bird.
    http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com

Trying to be more self sufficient here on our farm!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post

And we wonder why girls are going through puberty at 8 years old.
    But the other factor is all the SOY we are eating in everything!!! It screws with the hormones and I have given up trying to get away from it as it is
    a FUTILE effort.

Messes with hormones...........ESPECIALLY female......

Can screw up your thyroid..................UGH!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would bet it is the hormones in chicken and beef. Soy is a plant and does not have anything added to it.(hopefully it is non-GMO)

I have added soy to my diet and am in my second "remission" from hot flashes - hope it lasts this time! I do not over do it, about a cup of soy milk a day at the most.

I understand that if you have thyroid problems you do need to be careful about soy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Soy is a plant and does not have anything added to it.(hopefully it is non-GMO)
    Just because it is a plant does not mean that it can't create an action in our bodies when eaten..............it does create a similar action to female hormones.........which could be the reason you have had a HF reduction...........similar to what taking hormones would do.

I would still like to stay away from it..............which is all but IMPOSSIBLE............and very frustrating.

The only comment I will make to the GMO thing is that Monsanto is real big into the 'soy scene'..............enough said. Follow the money.............

Even doing some of the reading can show conflicting info and be frustrating and we all know if you are reading something on-line you can believe about HALF.............UGH! I try to stick with a couple 'decent rated' sites......

Quote:

From tofu and tacos to baby formula and burgers, soy products have swept the nation as a healthy source of protein, with a reputation for being all natural and good for you. New studies have however raised questions over whether the ingredients in soy might increase the risk of breast cancer in some women, affect brain function in men and lead to hidden developmental ab-normalities in infants.

The core of their concerns rests with the chemical makeup of soy: in addition to all the nutrients and protein, soy contains a natural chemical that mimics estrogen, the female hormone. Some studies in animals show that this chemical can alter sexual development. And in fact, 2 glasses of soy milk/day, over the course of one month, contain enough of the chemical to change the timing of a woman’s menstrual cycle.
    Last edited by frugalfranny; 06-17-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I fondly remember when hamburger was .99 a lb and what we ate a LOT of, being very young with a baby in our little home...and that was 13-14 years ago...not I'm 'lucky' to find ground beef marked down to $2.79 a lb. We just simply aren't eating much of it, having more chicken and pork instead (chops are still decently priced around here). I have yet to find a tofu recipe I really, truly like.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $141,279.52 Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2548.29

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't like tofu either, but I love veggie burgers and the like in all flavors. Tofu is so seventies....

frugal franny, Can you let us know where the quote comes from?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

frugal franny, Can you let us know where the quote comes from?
    This was one site I was reading..................and think 'livingstrong.com' was another one.........of many...........when you get into the 'health food' sites you have to determine if they are selling something or where they are getting their info.............but figure some of it MIGHT HAVE a shred of truth..........

Is soy healthy?

I have read on many sites that soy can act like a female hormone.............the jury can be out as far as good or bad.............bad for thyroid and breast cancer seems to be a consensus...........after that......???

The other thing they 'seem' to agree on...............it is why so many girls are starting their periods so much earlier these days........and just 'developing' earlier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mercola.com is another about the soy thing.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually go to Wikipedia. They tend to present both sides of an argument. They have a good article under "Soybean", with sections on both health benefits and health risks. I will just quote one small part about phytoestrogens..

"Soybeans contain isoflavones called genistein and daidzein, which are one source of phytoestrogens in the human diet. Because most naturally occurring estrogenic substances show weak activity, normal consumption of foods that contain these phytoestrogens should not provide sufficient amounts to elicit a physiological response in humans."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought a 1/4 cow last year but have recently run out of hamburger. We need to look into getting more hamburger. The only other hamburger I have bought is the organic from Costco which is 4# for $18.xx (if my memory serves me correctly). I definantly am trying to stretch it with beans or just using less. Noone has complained so far
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually go to Wikipedia. They tend to present both sides of an argument. They have a good article under "Soybean", with sections on both health benefits and health risks. I will just quote one small part about phytoestrogens..

"Soybeans contain isoflavones called genistein and daidzein, which are one source of phytoestrogens in the human diet. Because most naturally occurring estrogenic substances show weak activity, normal consumption of foods that contain these phytoestrogens should not provide sufficient amounts to elicit a physiological response in humans."
    Wiki is okay for some things............I want to read about the research and have it explained about how they did it, or at least be able to go to the research they are quoting............wiki is pretty 'general'.....

Pluses and minuses for soy..........for me it is a TOTAL MINUS but you can't avoid it. I don't think the Dr's even know..........

It will be a thing like the 'eggs' were.....years ago........"very bad for you"..........then........"oh, not as bad as originally thought"........and now the latest thing is the Vitamin D........at first......."gotta have it" and now..........."it might not help that much and may even cause trouble".........

Contrasting the arguments at the 'health sites'.......with the WebMD and some others is always interesting too...........'dr. sites' always say something about the Japanese and the asian diet and how they have much less breast cancer......blah.....blah......then the health sites say "yes, but......they have much more thyroid cancer, esophageal cancer, and others................who knows????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, wikipedia has footnotes that lead you to their sources, if you care to follow up. I think for every study that says "X is true" you can find one that says "X is not true". Keeps the scientific types busy....
    I would question whether the thyroid cancer rate in Japan has something to do with nuclear weapons being used on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast