Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Higher Beef Prices too...

Beef: It

Not that I am suprised. Beans, it's what's for dinner
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I heard the price of beef was going to be getting higher. Guess I'll be using less meat and more filler (beans, rice, pasta) I guess.
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

was craving a big juicy steak last week- it passed I keep a pound or two of ground chuck on hand for spaghetti sauce. I rarely buy any other red meat. IF my store would carry tofu i'd be making mock-beef and mock chicken more but i keep that to once or twice a month have to shop at walmart for that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG...........I was trying to find another article that I read a couple days ago about the farmers cutting the herd size........often in the drought stricken areas..............but anyway.............I got this instead.......this is part of the article..........

You know beef has gotten expensive when people start stealing it. That's what happened a couple of weeks ago in Austin, Texas, when six men shoplifted raw meat from a large grocery store by shoving it down their pants. According to USA Today, "meat thieves organized groups who target steaks and high-end cuts at supermarkets for resale to unscrupulous restaurants and markets are a growing problem."

The Austin heist is small compared to the 41,350 pounds of ground beef worth $95,000 stolen from a truck stop in Louisiana in February, when a driver briefly left his 18-wheeler unattended.

IT IS JUST FLAT GETTING DANGEROUS OUT THERE!!!!

And if Europe falters we could be in for some BIG TIME crime.........and survival of the fittest!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The butcher shop near me had on their sign out front... All Steak--$9.99#.
    I've been giving myself 4oz of meat & my husband 6oz & I've been weighing our portions. We're having more meatless meals. We just had veg quiche last night for supper..Good!
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I so rarely eat meat it doesn't affect me. I don't even buy it in the store, but if a neighbor gives me venison or home-raised beef, I will eat it. (yum!)

I had to laugh, the last time I went shopping, one of the two register coupons that got spit out with my receipt, was for $1 off any meat purchase!! They noticed I never buy their meat!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Besides the three hamburgers I've had out, I haven't had beef in 3 months. I bought some steaks for DH's birthday but he and our company had those. I would love to have a roast but I haven't seen the sale price drop below $3.50lb in months for any type of roast.
    I'm not outraged that beef is so expensive but it just doesn't make financial sense to buy it when chicken breast is so often on sale for $2lb. We really like chicken so that's what I'll continue to buy. Beef will be special occasion only I guess. *sigh* ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~Besides the three hamburgers I've had out, I haven't had beef in 3 months. I bought some steaks for DH's birthday but he and our company had those. I would love to have a roast but I haven't seen the sale price drop below $3.50lb in months for any type of roast.
    I'm not outraged that beef is so expensive but it just doesn't make financial sense to buy it when chicken breast is so often on sale for $2lb. We really like chicken so that's what I'll continue to buy. Beef will be special occasion only I guess. *sigh* ~
    This isn't meat, but if you have a Sprouts down there, they have cherries on sale this week for $1.47 lb.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great deal for cherries but no sprouts around here
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Thanks SM but no, none of those my way.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Learning how to prepare and/or cook cheaper cuts of beef was good for us.

a grill steak was recently on sale for $6.99 a pound we bought some bottom round instead for $2.19 a pound. The butcher cut it into steaks and roast.

Bottom round tends to be a tougher cut of meat.

We marinated the bottom round steak over night and grilled it the next day. was very tender and not tough at all.

Had the grilled out steak experience for a lower price.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We started buying a whole beef. It is not technically "organic", but it really is (grass-fed, no hormones, etc). We pay about or cheaper than what the sale price is at the grocery store for regular, not-organic beef.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really is frustrating to see the price of beef going up. Only time I purchase beef is when it is on manager's special. Sometimes a steak will be on manager's special but it is still to expensive so I will pass on it. Once they had flank steak on manager's special. It was huge and a good deal. Brought it home and cut it up for single servings and froze.

Imagine I like your idea for bottom round. Will keep this in mind when scoping out the meat section for managers specials!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cheaper cuts cooked in the Crock-Pot come out nice and tender.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you. -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never watch the price of 'steak'............I always watch the price of any roast or boneless ribs and then buy that, cut it up according to how I will use it......steak, stew meat, etc.

You are paying for the butcher to cut it when buying steak.......along with a mark up......... of course, exceptions are T-bone, etc. But a good rib roast can give some tasty steaks.

Our boneless ribs go on sale quite often...............just wish I had a grinder so I could make my own hamburger. I also have to buy the boneless as I don't have a knife or saw that will go through some of the bones but still cheaper than steak.

Types of Beef Cuts

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart70.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast