My rant. . .how much do you tip when eating in restaurants? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We tip 15% and 20% on average. If the bill is $10.I will give $2. However,if I have to search for the waitress or the stuff is wrong I won't tip. I never leave comments as I don't want her to be fired but I expect silverware,a carryout container if I ask etc.
    To me a tip is the extra earned for good service.
    Sorry your DD got stiffed.

As far as the hair cut goes I have had them refuse a coupon and that usually the amt. of the tip so in that case I have said catch you next time,but I actually will.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tip 20%. I had to train DH to tip that much. I still don't know if he does when I am not there. I sure hope he does.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you really cannot compare a kitchen worker making minimum wage to a waitress getting tips
    #1 every restuarant has slow periods that the pay is the same during for kitchen hep and not good for servers

# 2 as a kitchen help you dont have to deal with the customers - you dont have to smile and be sweet to the same 50 yo perverted guy who thinks he is stiill the 18 yo stud he was on high school making semi suggestive comments to you and you cant do a thing but smile because he comes every day brings in alot of busniess for luncheons and is friends with the owner.
    you dont get your body stared at - or "accidentally" touched .

you dont have the psychological stress of analyzimg each custoer and what will make their expereince good - how to be nice to a family or a guy with his GF without the insecure wife/ GF thinking you are flirting - when you are just trying to be friendly and helpful to - if she thinks you are flirting there goes your tip- if she thinks you have a bad attitude because you are not friendly enough there goes your tip .

in the kitchen you cook you clean you plate etc - the same for each customer .
    doesnt matter how creepy - mean -nice - relaxed- rushed - etc the customer is you do the same for them.
    and when the kitchen is slow because its busy - the waitress has to make the excuses and sometimes forfeit tip to people who think she can somehow control the kitchen .

never in my life have i seen kitchen help come out and aplogize for making a med steak rare - forgetting a side order or for a delay .

that is why they get tipped for CS

if someone stinks and has a bad attitude i will not tip them well and ic ant imagine they dont know they had a bad attitude and thats why .if they dont their co workers should point it out

otherwise its at least 20% sometimes more.

if i cant afford the tip i should go to a self service area where everyone gets paid the same.

you walk into an establishment you know its people working on tips- you dont put it back on the establishment to pay them right - and if they did pay them so tips werent needed most would be complaining the prices are too high . and they didnt like their because what incentive would there be for a server to go above and beyond but their own work ethics and sadly that seems far and few anymore .

100% not comparable .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have found its not evening out- people dont have as much money so they are eating out and skimping on tips . my daughter use to be able to pay her rent and bills easily - now she is working just as much and struggling .
    she use to be able to make 100 a day or 200 a night - now its half that for the same amt of work and food .

and its all the waitresses not just her so i know its not an attitude thing although she has admitted to me its getting harder to smile at a few of the regulars who she finds creepy with their comments - and deal with some of the patrons when she figures out an hourly wage after tip its close to minimum wage and sometimes less if its a day shift .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The lowest we tip is 15%. Typically, I tip 20% and my husband will tip over that if we're out at a sit-down type restaurant (more like 30%).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We tip 20% no matter what. If the service was bad we'd speak up, but I honestly can't remember the last time we've had horrible service. Plus if we did have bad service I'd probably just chalk it up to them having a bad day - we've all had those. As for my hair I tip 40 %. She's a single mom who works hard. Even tho I usually just get a wash & cut she spends time cutting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Waitresses and waiters get paid less the min wage? Here that would be illegal. Every person working gets paid a Minimum of Min wage which at the moment is 10.00 an hour.

Sorry about what happened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto5RN View Post
    you really cannot compare a kitchen worker making minimum wage to a waitress getting tips
    #1 every restuarant has slow periods that the pay is the same during for kitchen hep and not good for servers

# 2 as a kitchen help you dont have to deal with the customers - you dont have to smile and be sweet to the same 50 yo perverted guy who thinks he is stiill the 18 yo stud he was on high school making semi suggestive comments to you and you cant do a thing but smile because he comes every day brings in alot of busniess for luncheons and is friends with the owner.
    you dont get your body stared at - or "accidentally" touched .

you dont have the psychological stress of analyzimg each custoer and what will make their expereince good - how to be nice to a family or a guy with his GF without the insecure wife/ GF thinking you are flirting - when you are just trying to be friendly and helpful to - if she thinks you are flirting there goes your tip- if she thinks you have a bad attitude because you are not friendly enough there goes your tip .

in the kitchen you cook you clean you plate etc - the same for each customer .
    doesnt matter how creepy - mean -nice - relaxed- rushed - etc the customer is you do the same for them.
    and when the kitchen is slow because its busy - the waitress has to make the excuses and sometimes forfeit tip to people who think she can somehow control the kitchen .

never in my life have i seen kitchen help come out and aplogize for making a med steak rare - forgetting a side order or for a delay .

that is why they get tipped for CS

if someone stinks and has a bad attitude i will not tip them well and ic ant imagine they dont know they had a bad attitude and thats why .if they dont their co workers should point it out

otherwise its at least 20% sometimes more.

if i cant afford the tip i should go to a self service area where everyone gets paid the same.

you walk into an establishment you know its people working on tips- you dont put it back on the establishment to pay them right - and if they did pay them so tips werent needed most would be complaining the prices are too high . and they didnt like their because what incentive would there be for a server to go above and beyond but their own work ethics and sadly that seems far and few anymore .

100% not comparable .
    ~Actually, I can and will compare the two. Where I worked I did kitchen work and managed the salad bar. I had to interact with customers every day and have had my share of the creepos hitting on me. There doesn't need to be a potential tip involved for creepos to be creepos. I was blamed for things and yelled at by customers as well. And no, servers do not have to be sweet to perverts. What kind of places do you eat? Every worker has the right to dignity in their place of employment. It's the management's responsibility to refuse service to anyone hassling their employees. If they don't you choose to find another job or file a harassment lawsuit. Nearly every job will come with stress, stares, accidental touching and creepy come-ons from customers and co-workers. You don't have to smile and take it, you stand up for yourself, you make the establishment stand up for you, you get the other customers involved to stand up for you. Servers aren't slaves. They have choices about their working conditions.
    Maybe I just worked at an unusually friendly place but the owners would always come to the tables and settle any issues. Sometimes the cooks went out too. I remember several times I was called upon as a kitchen worker to resolve an issue out in the dining room.
    I'm aware that servers have down times. What you're suggesting is that they be paid by future and past customers for the time they are not working. They're working when they're serving. Do you pay your house cleaner for not cleaning? Do you pay your babysitter for the two hours before she came to watch your kid? No, you pay for the actual service rendered at the time it is performed. It is not the customer's responsibility to account for down-time. ~
    ~Constance ~DH ~DS 11~DD 9 ~DD 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tip 20% or so. I was a waiter for years. There is always that one table who stiffs you, or leaves you a lousy tip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do believe service people work very hard for their money and am not comparing the work, but alot of people are making alot less money because of our economy. My dh is working 2 full time jobs right now so we have health ins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never really add a percentage I just take the bill and add what I think is appropriate to the service. I ate out when I took my dd for her exam last week and it was the first time in ages. Our bill was $27 and I left a $5 as a tip. That might seem cheap to some but truthfully that was all I could afford. That is why I do not eat our regularly. I do agree that you should tip as well as you can though. Now I have to say I don't tip hairdressers. Of course I do not pay one anymore since the exam I took my dd to was for her state cosmetology license. Which by the way she passed. But I have never tip them as I feel they do get paid a decent wage. That is just my opinion.
    Jeanna

Wife to Ken for 27 years
    DS 25
    DD 20

Start where you are with what you have. Make something of it and never be satisfied.
    George Washington Carver

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We leave a minimum of 20%, but it's usually closer to 25%. Unfortunately, DH and I see most people leave 10-15%. when we are with people like that, we always make sure to drop an additional 5, 10, or 20 on the table (depending on the cost of the meal). i hate to see people take out their 'tipping calculators'. I think it is so rude!
    Wife to DH
    Proud Mom to my Black Belt DS Woo-Hoo
    DS
    Kitty Mommy to Buttons

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i tip 20-25%.

haircut lady always gets 10 tip on a 20 dollar cut.

i forgot-- i was in a situation once where a co-worker removed everybody's tip from the table and put it in her pocket. her husband was a oil businessman and was a millionaire. she was a teacher.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always have a conflict with the whole concept of tipping. Tipping somewhere along the way became mandatory, and that bothers me, because now, even if the service is just adequate, I have to leave a tip, or I'm a big meanie. I do it, but I don't agree with it. I think, if everyone justly tipped for good service, it would work itself out, but I understand that I'm making up for the people who don't tip fairly.

That said, I tip 15%, unless the service was above and beyond. If the service was seriously lacking, or if there was a problem that was brought to the server's attention, but was not addressed, I drop it to 10%. If the problem is resolved by a reduction in my bill, I typically make up the difference in the tip.

My mother is on a fixed income, but occasionally wants to pay for lunch, dinner, etc, when she goes out with me and/or my sister (or her friends). My mother tips 10%, because it is already a stretch for her to pay for the whole meal. When I am with her, I offer to pay the tip, and sometimes she agrees, sometimes not, and I am not going to put her into an embarrassing position of telling her that she should tip more, especially if the service was routine, when she can't really afford it. So I try not to make judgements about how much people tip, because I don't think being on a lower income should mean that you shouldn't ever eat out at a nice restaurant as a treat for yourself, even if you can't afford a big fat tip.

I tip service people closer to 20-25%, including my stylist, my farrier, my pet-sitter, etc.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When you work at a place that pays much lower than minimum wage and are dependant on the generosity of customers to supplement your income, you're taking your chances. Obviously you won't be guaranteed a particular income from tips.

Tipping is not mandatory, even though it's become more and more expected at more and more places of business.

I do tip based on the quality of service I receive. I totally disagree with the tip being based on the amount of money spent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast