Teetotalism - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teetotalism

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It wasn't terribly difficult to quit----I think it could have been because we didn't keep any alcohol in the house and I wasn't in the habit of drinking often anyway. I found that going to restaurants that serve alcohol was pretty tempting, so we just quit eating out except for places that don't serve drinks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A really good eye opener is to go visit your friends when they are out drinking. Just do not have any alcohol. You will probably notice a lot of things such as, this place sells funny, what people are laughing at is really not that funny, why am I wasting my time here.

The best way to stop drinking is to get rid of any alcohol in your home and stay away from any situations where alcohol is served. I have no problem ordering a virgin mixed cocktail if I feel like treating myself. Once in a while I may have a few sips of wine but really it just seems like a waste to me.

It is expensive and since I do not drink very often a little starts making me feel slow and stupid. Have enough problems and slow and stupid just does not help.

Try different activities to get out of the house. You could take a class, join a book club, go to a movie, take a long walk, etc. Build up the confidence to tell your friends you do not want a drink. If they keep on pressuring you to drink you should ask yourself how much time do you really want to spend with them.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    The best way to stop drinking is to get rid of any alcohol in your home and stay away from any situations where alcohol is served.
    DH won't want to get rid of the stuff he drinks from the house, and I don't think it's fair for me to ask him to. He needs to come to his own personal decision about drinking. Although I can learn to say 'no thank you' and keep my own mind up as to what I won't do.
    If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.

2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge
    Started tracking my calories and REALLY trying on June 23rd (at 138.0 lbs)
    1st goal will be 135 lbs Reached this goal on Saturday, June 28th
    2nd goal will be 132 lbs
    3rd goal will be 130 lbs
    4th goal will be 128 lbs
    5th goal will be 126 lbs

April No Spend Challenge 10/30 No Spend Days
    ~~will start up again in May~~

Personal
    Pay off my Mortgage
    $63,323.89(as of July 11, 2014 - 5 years, 10 months)
    $73,670.29 (as of December 29th, 2013 - 7 years, 0 months left)
    $94,506.12 (as of December 21st, 2012 - 9 years, 2 months left)
    $108,631.38 (as of December 3rd, 2011 - 12 years, 7 months left)
    Pay off my Line of Credit#1 - General
    $12,851.23 (as of July 11th, 2014)
    $10,784.38 (as of December 20th, 2013)
    $20,330.65 (as of June 7th, 2013)
    Pay off My Line of Credit #2
    $31,244.83 (as of July 11th, 2014)/$35,308.44 GRAND TOTAL
    Breakdown
    $828.42 undercoating for new van
    $1,743.27 eavestrophs on our house
    $1,736.75 new walkway in the front of our house
    $31,000 van

Winning at money is 80% behaviour and 20% head knowledge....Hey, if it were easy, every moron walking would be wealthy.
    ~Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I have friends over for dinner we usually open a bottle of sparkling cider and I serve it in wine glasses. One reason I enjoy doing this is it feels a little extra special and the cider doesn't have any high fructose syrup.

You could also try setting aside the money you would have spent on a drink then using it to purchase something just for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My religious views are the top reason I've never touched alcohol but even as a teen when friends were doing it it never appealed to me. I can be silly enough without adding alcohol to the mix. LOL
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well, dh and i do enjoy our red wine. a glass in the evening is perfect for us! maybe two if sitting around the fire....we just enjoy it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I gave it up 6 years ago now, i wasnt dependant on it but did like to go out with friends and have some fun, the onl reason i stopped was because it was the only time it made me pysically sick and i woke up not remembering a thing and still to this day the smell of alcohol makes me feel bad... its not stopped me going out with friends tho, i quite like being taxi to everyone that way i know they will be sat home safe.

Funnily enough fruit juice gives me the same effect as alcohol... probably a sugar rush lol.

I'll stick to my non-alcohol cocktails

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do not want to not be in control of myself. Never, ever been drunk in my life. One drink acts like a sedative and I start yawning & nodding. Once or twice a year, I will drink a dark rum & diet coke, because I do like that particular taste combination, but not if there's no one else to drive. If I'm at home & can't sleep, I will drink one, but that's my once or twice a year thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've never been much of a drinker, it doesn't really agree with me if I have more than 1 of something, which is just as well. Cheaper that way, too.
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

alcohol acts as depressant for me-a tsp will start the process and yes I've experimented on myself just to see how my body reacts.... can't imagine drinking all the time boggles my mind- have several relatives who drink not my bag.

I don't like the taste of wine but when I was a teen was made to drink it by doc orders who suggested for blood building properties never did develop a taste for it.
    when s/o and i were together I'd drink b&J wine coolers nasty stuff-because I wanted him to be comfortable drinking (now wouldn't do it), or corona's (loved them after a fashion) but i want to set example for my kids so no drinking now but sparkling cider if anything.
    several mths back I bought a bottle of wine (gack it was nasty) apparently I'm not meant to partake of spirits of any sort which is fine by me. so it went down the drain-
    never saw the purpose of using drugs or alcohol to dull life's pains.
    way back in the day I would go to clubs with dgf and I was her designated driver, I had too much fun watching the drunks interact with one another.
    I don't care if a person drinks just do it responsibly, don't drink n drive or weld weapons........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's empty calories.

But, wines and hard liquors do make healthy flavorings for food. I do keep some around and mostly just use it to season food. It's better for someone than heavy dairy products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

~ I can't afford it

~ discovered when I was much younger that I LIKE it, and became afraid of becoming an alcoholic (many in my family)

~ it hinders my Christian witness, although I don't think drinking in moderation is wrong - many nonbelievers have trouble with a Christian drinking alcohol.

~ I didn't want to have to police my kids and their friends if we had it in the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12