911 fees what's your costing you?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 911 fees what's your costing you?

last month I noticed a jump in my phone bill so got to perusing it and wow what a jump what started out seven yrs ago as a .99 fee jumped to $2 and in June 2012 (thanks to a law being passed for 911 offices in trouble-our county isn't) it went $4.75.
    now it's like a 137%increase and the 911 office has a reported $350,000 in the bank- smells fishy to me. 911 is great but I can't understand why residents are being charged so much when business's are being I THINK-(still have to check)charged the same (looking at 18mths and over a millon dollars collected)
    I have a data line only (can't make calls) yet 911 fee is tacked on- my cell phone same thing which is .70 per mth.... much rather pay the latter and wish I could opt out of having it on the data line (must look into that but probably nothing i can do). people in my town are in a stink about it and several are calling for an audit of the 911 books- as there haven't been an audit in 20+yrs according to the records of meetings.
    so what are the fees in your area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My cell charges .75 cents a month. My home phone includes the cost. We pay 35 a month for Canada wide calling and all features.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ours is $0.62, and we have an excellent 911 system and very fast response.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no idea. We've used 911 in the past year for our dd. For us it is worth whatever they are charging, which isn't much otherwise I'd have noticed it on my bill.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing on the phone bill ours comes out of the county taxes we pay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

in all honesty IF our dept was on the ball I probably wouldn't mind so much BUT and it's a big one I live less than 3 miles from the call center and when I moved I called to let 911 update the occupants at the address (as a friend who's a cop suggested) and when dd cut her wrist (brother and she were racing to the trash can he pulled her around and there was a broken picture frame- cut it about 2-3 mm from her vein) the stupid and yes I called her that well I actually called her more than that when she wanted to know the address- I'm pretty good in a crisis but not apparently when it involves my dd's blood gushing from her wrist...

umm I thought computer generated address when a call came in-. what a day that was so I have no faith in 911 and I know and went to school with the director (please if he's not padding his account them I'm not breathing). hopefully the audit will help correct this high fee.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What you're talking about is e911. Where your phone number is linked to your address. I don't think this is standard, but probably popular.

I used to work in the 911 dept of one of the phone companies here. We had to update address transfer etc, info in our system then transfer to another company who held all the 911 info for the whole city. Phone numbers would not be actvated until e911 was verified.

VoIP services in Canada need to warn customers that their phone numbers are not necessarily connected to their address. One example was a person moved, called 911 at new address....ems showed up at last address. Scary!