I'm not trying to insult anyone (I'm guilty too)...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I'm not trying to insult anyone (I'm guilty too)...

but, after reading the Dave Ramsey post and so many people recommending this book or that financial guru etc, I started thinking that with ALL the latest knowledge (or lack there of), technology etc, we STILL have financial troubles, weight troubles etc...HOW the heck did society survive without all the "help" aids (some of which don't seem to work), fashionable diets, gyms, i phones, etc? If you didn't grow it, don't eat it and if you don't have the $ for it, don't buy it...no self help knowledge needed. Is it just me or have we come SO far only to be completely backwards?
    Rhonda

Mother to 12 yo Tony

2013 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 0/52
    Change Jar and Penny Challenge (Vacation) ?
    2013 Debt Reduction Challenge 0/?
    2013 0/$25($75) Weekly OR Grocery Budget Reduct Challenge 0/578.75
    2013 Project Done A Month Challenge 0/12
    No Spend Challenge 0/365
    Self Image Challenge 0/365
    2013 Eating Out No More Challenge 0/12
    Emergency Fund Challenge (Bill) 0/11,570.48, (Personal) 0/5,408.96

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had different problems back then. No offense taken :-)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would never give up my gym memberships. I belong to three gyms....I NEED them all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There have been slick salesmen since the beginning of time. And people have always had bad habits that could have been cured by common sense.

I think it's human nature to look for the easy way out whenever we're facing a serious problem, whether it's financial difficulties, quitting smoking, losing weight, etc. We know what needs to be done but that's hard work, so we want something easier.

People also recognize sometimes that what they've been doing isn't working, but they're not quite sure what would work, so they look for guidance.

I find it ironic that people sell products to teach people about not spending money. I guess the not spending part is supposed to start only after you buy the how not to spend products.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have weight or financial problems, but that doesn't mean that I don't have goals for growth and self improvement. Why not access information from resources like books, blogs, journal articles, or message boards like this one? I don't expect to find a magical answer from any of those sources, but I also don't see anything wrong with doing research and taking helpful ideas from others. It's easier than ever to access information, and I enjoy being able to better my life as a result.

Also, I can *survive* without my gym membership and my iPhone, but I can afford both and each improves my life in a variety of ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

People want a quick fix for every little issue and they'll fall for anything and everything. There just happens to be more of it to fall for. The more we know, the more we want, the more we get and often at any means necessary. Its a me me me world of self gratification and IOU's.

I don't have a gym membership, a club membership, an iphone, nor do I have holidays away, travel, wear expensive clothes and even I could survive with much less than I do have. I have survived on much less than I do have now. One thing I can say though is I don't have debt either. We live within our means. Not as much below it as I could though.
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I exercise at home or I bike or walk. The extra money is in the bank is my security blanket. Anyway, believe it or not, I meet more people this way, so it is more fun for me. I also do strength training at home. When I look back in five years no gym is going to give me or my family the memories or the security I get from a diy approach to anything. We give quite a bit to those who have no food. I love the feeling it gives us and them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"Also, I can *survive* without my gym membership and my iPhone, but I can afford both and each improves my life in a variety of ways."

And I have found just the opposite (with the iPhone, I don't have a gym membership we live in a "walking" community where walking and biking is prominant). I NOW have my iPhone in a basket in my living room as I found that it did NOT add to the quality of my life and that actually it took away from it. When I would sit down for a minute while cleaning my house, where I used to pick up a book and read or pick up my knitting, when I activated the iPhone I found myself mindlessly surfing and less engaged with my family. Also, I found that while the web access cost (to some people) "only" $30.00 per month, I feel that that is 2 piano lessons a month for my son. I'm GLAD that you feel these items improve your life, but I found the opposite. Thank you for your response and take care.
    Rhonda

Mother to 12 yo Tony

2013 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 0/52
    Change Jar and Penny Challenge (Vacation) ?
    2013 Debt Reduction Challenge 0/?
    2013 0/$25($75) Weekly OR Grocery Budget Reduct Challenge 0/578.75
    2013 Project Done A Month Challenge 0/12
    No Spend Challenge 0/365
    Self Image Challenge 0/365
    2013 Eating Out No More Challenge 0/12
    Emergency Fund Challenge (Bill) 0/11,570.48, (Personal) 0/5,408.96

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think everyone is different. What are priorities for some are not for others. My family values exercise and fitness very highly so we would never replace a gym with walking or doing something at home. And we go to the gym together on weekends and we go on our lunch breaks at work. So, it is all about making efficient use of time and spending valuable time together. I would also never replace my smart phone with piano lessons.

I do think that people need to really evaluate what is important to them and what they value and want out of life.

Very similar to the other thread regarding working from home or SAHM. Do what makes you happy and spend your money on those things. But make sure that what you are spending your money on is TRULY making you happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Giro View Post
    I think everyone is different. What are priorities for some are not for others. My family values exercise and fitness very highly so we would never replace a gym with walking or doing something at home. And we go to the gym together on weekends and we go on our lunch breaks at work. So, it is all about making efficient use of time and spending valuable time together. I would also never replace my smart phone with piano lessons.

I do think that people need to really evaluate what is important to them and what they value and want out of life.

Very similar to the other thread regarding working from home or SAHM. Do what makes you happy and spend your money on those things. But make sure that what you are spending your money on is TRULY making you happy.
    I totally agree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Their problems were dying of dysentery, fording rivers and starvation, or so Oregon Trail tells me

Seriously, they died younger, lived harder and worked harder and got less for their work. We have different problems because we don't have to worry about their much worse set of problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think people back then had to be more self-sufficient or they just simply wouldn't survive. It was more of a subsistence lifestyle because they couldn't run to the store and buy things or go to the doctor to be cured by modern miracle drugs or whatever. They only had what they could make do with from their immediate environment. These days, people have lost so many skills and rely on paying someone else to do them rather than doing for themselves. And that costs a lot of money.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As for financial problems, it wasn't that long ago that very few people had even one credit card, much less a whole stack of them.
    Jean