How does the economy look in your neck of the woods?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How does the economy look in your neck of the woods?

We just finished a 2 week road trip (7 states) and it was really sobering. We drove thru many towns that you could tell had been thriving at one time and were now boarded up and vacant. Makes me wonder how things look where you live?

Things that are impacting us here (I live in Wa State)

* gas prices are coming down (finally) but are still high @ $3.52
    * health care premiums are taking a hefty jump in 2013 for our family
    * grocery prices are higher and climing.... milk went up .30 per half gallon while we were gone. For the first time in ages I didn't buy any apples (DS favorite fruit) due to prices, instead I filled the cart with peaches ($1.28 per #) cherries (#1.48 per #) and grapes ($1.68 per #)
    * I was planning on picking raspberries this year but wowsers the prices seem crazy.... $2.75 per pound for u-pick (or am I just not remembering how spendy raspberries are???)
    * DD and I looked for backpacks for school at staples ... $80 for a "cheap" backpack (cheap in quality not price)
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's really hard to tell, we live on the lake and this is where people come for a quick get-away or a cheap vacation. Gas went down around the 4th but it's going back up again. And as long as people break the law my dh will always have a job
    Terry

Oct grocery 137.50/217.00
    Oct coupon 8.00
    YTD grocery 2715.95
    YTD coupon 477.26

New Recipe 7/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 10-7

1. clean/organize linen closet 2. organize/purge medicine cabinet 3. make at least one new recipe a month 0/12 4. learn to make 3 items from scratch 5. tame kitchen freezer 6. read To Kill A Mockingbird 7. watch Gone With The Wind 8. limit on-line game time to 30mins a day 9. write a letter monthly to MIL 10. make AND mail Christmas cards 11. repurpose 3 old items into something new 12. participate in monthly photo hunt 13. make 1 rag quilt 14. use exercise bike 4x wk 15. lose 3lbs a month 16. make work plan for camper 17. learn to back-up camper 18. participate in 1 SOTF get-together 19. complete dental work needed 20. say I Love You to loved ones daily

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I recently moved to a town that is not real large and I have been looking for a part time job, well me and 100 other people it seems. The prices here are about 10% more on groceries. I am buying almost 100% sale flier items to make meals from. You can see the effects from the economy as so many vacant businesses in town.

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hard to tell around here. It's just as busy as it always is here in the summer. We still see plenty of out of state license plates.

Grocery prices here are up but they always are in the tourist season. Seems like a little more than usual though.

There don't seem to be any less boats in town and on the lakes, so fuel must not be scaring people out of fishing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We did all campgrounds on our trip and they were full too.
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought it was slightly better in my small NH town lately, not seeing foreclosures left and right- just found out some sobering news at a BBQ tonight: some neighbors we know casually down the street have had their house up for sale for 2 months or so now. They had mentioned moving to NJ before, we thought they were doing that. Nope- trying to short sell the house, if it doesn't sell by Sept. the bank is foreclosing. Super bummed- they have a 3 or 4 month old baby at home as well as a 5 year old.Here I thought I hadn't seen any new foreclosures in my area lately, then smack! some neighbors are about to go through it if they can't short sell. Still 1/2 a dozen homes in the center of town sitting empty.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $141,279.52 Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2548.29

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well...to be honest I really don't know...I am in Texas and
    I hear people complaining about the prices of food but the restaurants are full.

I hear people complaining about the price of gas but they are still making multiple trips all over the city.

I hear people complaining about unemployment but my apartment complex parking lot empties out daily as people head to work.

I hear people complain about not having enough money but they are buying new cars and going on expensive vacations ( staying in first class hotels) as well as heading on cruises out of Galveston.

The one thing I have noted are there are more foreclosures and people are moving into the apartment complexes.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    Goal: Donate at least one third of all belongings before the end of the year. I have wwwaaayyy to much stuff!!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's a real mixed bag here. On the one hand my part of town was not hit hard by the rise in housing prices prior to 2008, so there wasn't a big drop when the market crashed. A few people lost homes. Those homes are now filled with new home owners. AFAIK our own home has not lost market value in those years.

I think the job market is better in certain sectors than others. There is steady demand in DH's line of work. I know places that are hiring and can't find qualified people. I know people out of work who are unwilling to learn new job skills that will get them hired. Where we're hurting right now is the farming community. MO has been declared a natural disaster, in every county. The crops are ruined. After suffering both flooding and drought last year our farmers are taking a hit they just can't handle.

As Larabelle said, restaurants are full of people eating out, so there seem to be a lot of people with money to spend. I noticed people cut back at first a few years ago when the crash started, but they are back to spending.

There is new construction and new business going in to a retail area near me. This means commerce, jobs for low skilled workers, and local tax money. I'd call this good progress.

I've noticed the price of food going up. I used to be able to get peanut butter for 99c, haven't seen it under $2 in over a year. English muffins went from 2.29 to 2.79 earlier this month. I was buying them for 1.99. Likewise, mushroom packs used to be 1.00 or 1.99 at most, all now over $2. I used to spend $65-75 a week on food (meat, dairy, vegs, a few luxuries) now I spend that and it does not include meat.

Gas, on the other hand has been relatively stable. It's been 3.29 at the corner all week, though it was 3.25 north of here a few miles. It was around 3.11 a month or two ago, and it's been as high as 3.50 or 3.60 in between.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Holding steady, showing some hopeful signs. We live in reasonably popular tourist town, and tourism seems to be doing well this year. The local economy is definitely not losing ground, maybe not gaining as fast as we'd all like.

This is when I miss living in oil country in North Dakota. My old town has been featured on the national news a few times lately for being the fastest growing local economy in the nation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In our area- I don't think we were hit very hard. We do have foreclosures (not a more than usual)- but we have had them in the past due to people buying houses they can't afford and not paying their taxes. The economy does not seem to be that bad, everyone complains about it but people always seem to complain about it. I think because our area suffered so much from the steel mills closing down several years ago, that we already went through our hard times and found different venues to generate more jobs and it's not affecting as as much as other areas. The price of stuff is up, but what can you do- you got to eat and drive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do notice higher grocery prices.....but like others noted, I see restaurants packed all day long. (not me!)

I don't go out much, but on weekends all I see is boats and motorhomes everywhere in our area. I think housing has stabalized a bit, and both my girls just got new jobs. Youngest dd sold their vacation home (two hours away) in less than two months, for the asking price.

Everyone *I* know is spending money like crazy....I just don't get it.....
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only real issue I see in my area is the high prices of food and gas. We have topped out at over 4.00 a few times in the last three or four years and seem to always be higher than most places around us. Part of being in a rural area I guess. Food prices are just going up every single time I go to the store it seems. We have a lot of elderly here and I know they are suffering with the food prices. Kroger is packed on Tuesday when it's senior day and they get a discount. And I see them in the store really looking at prices and a lot of them don't seem to be buying much.

I don't personally know of any home foreclosures in my area. I know of a couple of people who have had their vehicles repossessed though. There are jobs in the area too. Maybe because we are a small, rural area it hasn't hit too hard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hard for me to say as I don't go "out and about" much....but according to the numbers on the news we are at avg. or little below for unemp.

I know we have a fair amt. of foreclosures.......probably more than Seattle as they have a better job market. I have been 'sort of' house hunting and there are quite a few short sales listed.

The rental market is pretty tight......and drawing larger rents as people have to move..........still lots of people struggling. Our gas prices are almost ALWAYS higher than the norm. thanks to our high state tax! Can't remember the last time we were under $3.50 a gal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours is going downhill, but not to the extent of some places. We've lost a lot of our big manufacturing plants over the years (which made up some 75% of the work force here), so the biggest thing is there are mainly only low paying jobs, and high prices. There are quite a few foreclosures, even in the rural area outside of the city where I am. People seem to be spending the money though, the restaurants in town are full all the time, walmart, kmart, and the mall always have packed parking lots, so it would seem on the outside to be ok, but I know that our homeless population has gone way up, along with the number of families living together in shared housing. The biggest hit for me personally has been the rising prices of food and gas.
    Starlight
    mama to: dd (15) and ds (10) and dd
    married to DH for 17 years

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The house next door to us has been empty for about a year.
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast