I'm moveing and have to make a choice, need to bounce around some thoughts
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question I'm moveing and have to make a choice, need to bounce around some thoughts

After a very long 3 yrs my home has sold and we are moveing in a few weeks. We sold the house at a loss
    and will not get any cash at closeing. Buying at this time is not possible so we are looking for rentals. We need to rent
    a house not an apartment because we have a camper and we need a garage to work out of. I'm picky about the
    school my kids go to so that determines the neighbors we can even look into.Also we have a large dog that most rentals
    wont allow.

So far I have found only one house that meets all our needs, but....
    it has no central air ( in florida ) and it happens to be right next door to a very old family friend. This person is someone who I
    think of as 'My crazy old Aunt" and I do meen crazy. I'm really not sure I can handle living next door to her.

There are two other possible houses but the rent is higher. Do I live next door to a nut so I can save 200 bucks? And can I live
    without air conditioning?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will the landlord allow you to put in window a/c units? If not, that would definitely be a no-go for me!

Regarding the crazy aunt, I lived next door to a paranoid schizophrenic lady once and it was not always great. She would seem to lay in wait to catch me outside and then want to have very long, rambling conversations that made no sense. She was fairly sweet (other than the time she had the Secret Service out because she threatened Nancy Reagan) but not being able to ever go outside peacefully was depressing to me. I don't know how crazy your aunt is, but if she is very social you might not ever get a moment's peace. Something to think about anyway.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I were in your situation and the $200 wasn't the difference about stressing about money and not, I'd spend the extra $200/month, even if it meant I was saving less.

Now if $200 meant I was going to be short on cash and wondering how to pay the electric bill, then I'd take the crazy lady and no A/C's.

9 times out of 10 I'll choose the money saving option, but somethings are worth paying a premium for, and for me, nice living arrangements are one of those things.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would choose my sanity...and the A/C and pay the additional money...but then I like going outside and maintaining my solitude and I live in TEXAS and it gets really really hot.....
    Unexpected life drama bill owe April 2014 11K/current balance 11K.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The other thing is my Husband is starting a new job soon but we don't know the pay. We are waiting for the contract. If I just had a little more time I would be able to make a more informed decision. We are planning our budget for his current pay but I know he will make more and that being the case I'm positive I would regret not spending the extra money. I just feel very pressured right now and I don't want to move my kids around a lot.

I guess if I am asking this many questions, I have my answer. I don't want to rent this house but I also don't want to regret spending too much money. We are one of the many who paid way too much for own home and really couldn't afford it. I have lived month to month and it's not something I ever wish to do again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YesDear View Post
    I'm really not sure I can handle living next door to her.

There are two other possible houses but the rent is higher. Do I live next door to a nut so I can save 200 bucks? And can I live
    without air conditioning?
    The money issue has pretty well been covered........and not that familiar with the "no AC" factor in Florida........but.........how many other homes in that area have "no AC"? (thinking just of weather factor here, and how people deal with it)...........and you know the weather.........(I can't imagine no ac in FL)......but maybe your area is different. Just remember when making your choice........other than the money factor...........you HAVE to have some 'rest' to carry on the daily activities and can you get that in your area with no AC?

A bunch of "unrested", crabby people running around a house might not be such a pleasant atmosphere to live in.......and will affect more than just you.

I wish you the best on making your choice............good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to the no A/C house today and have decided it's not for us. I called on my backup and it's no longer available. I'm really feeling like my back is up against a wall right now. A new house popped up on the listings today and it would be the perfect home but it's not the perfect school.I can not believe how hard this has gotten.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Since you do have a camper, have you explored the option of living at an RV or trailer park for a few months as you look for rentals(or a home) in the area you prefer? Tell the kids it's an extended vacation and make it fun and it could be a way to extend your time frame for finding the right place. I know how hard it can be to get a rental where you want and in your price range. We just did it earlier this year and it took months. Just keep plugging away at it until you get one.~
    ~Constance ~DH ~DS 11~DD 9 ~DD 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well the camper isn't comfortable for more then a weekend, it's a 10ft 1964 scotty.
    We did find a home we like and applied, will hear back on monday. If it does not come through then we have decided to rent an apartment on a 6 month lease. Our priority is getting our kids into the school district that we want to buy in. I was moved a lot as a kid so Im a little afraid for doing it to my kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sanity first...seriously...it's worth it! Hope the move goes smoothly!!
    Kace - married to Dh 13 years

Love to

Full-time homemaker, full-time college student. Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We found the perfect place.
    On the beach, safe neighborhood, good school and they love my dog! Price is resonable and we move in next weekend. So glad thats over