Frugal Village Forums banner

question about out of date canned goods

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
so i'm on the fence just a bit who wants to tip me over?

I've been going through my canned stuff, reorganizing, and have noticed that several cans of creamed corn have developed rust on the lip there are no bulging cans but they are out of date- a friend said eat them as long as the can isn't weeping/bulging. should I toss and it's only two cans of tomatoes that have spots but almost a dzn cream corn....
your thoughts please.

#2 ·
Well for me, I would not worry about it. I have a lot of stuff around here with, what I call suggestion dates ...

And I am a big shopper of places like Big Lots and grocery clearance racks. That is where most of the stuff expiring is put. I have done this my entire life - and I am still here to tell about it.

I agree with your friend- if the can does not look compromised - I would eat them.

#4 ·
Reactions: valerian
#5 ·
I don't pay much attention to dates on canned goods. Inspecting the can for rust or heaven forbid buldging/leaking is important. If its rusty -- use it immediately. Leaking or buldging into the trash and carefully clean up any residual mess left behind and check all cans in close contact. BTW if a can spurts out liquid when you open it, I discard. I mean spurts out with force. I opened a bad can of tomato sauce and it was all over the walls and cupboards. I should have noticed it was bulging before I opened it.

#6 ·
Once I opened a can of cream of chicken soup, the can was not bulging but when opened the contents did not look right, it was very runny like it had already been thinned out. I cleaned the can and when I inspected it I found a very small, teeny tiny pin hole in the can. It was under the paper label and the can was not dented. I still freak when I think what would have happened if I had gone ahead and used it. BUT I have no problem using out of date cans :)

#7 ·
I've been going through my canned stuff, reorganizing, and have noticed that several cans of creamed corn have developed rust on the lip there are no bulging cans but they are out of date- a friend said eat them as long as the can isn't weeping/bulging. should I toss and it's only two cans of tomatoes that have spots but almost a dzn cream corn....
your thoughts please.
The two cans of tomatoes would make me a little leery...........see what color they are on the inside. They can be quick to poison so I don't mess with them too much. Maybe take a very small sample of the juice and see if it takes 'like a can'.........it will have a 'tinny taste'........then toss, if it does.

The corn, again, I would taste...........would probably be okay, but if it tastes "off" it will ruin a whole dish......so why bother. Taste test a small bit. Can you use it in something IMMEDIATELY that you can then freeze.............will help solve the problem. You do need to get them used up.

This website brought up another good/bad point......................about if the can HISSES when opened.........maybe this info will help...........

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Shelf_Stable_Food_Safety/index.asp#9

#8 ·
I agree, if it is not rusted through and smells/looks good....eat it. We are 1 of very few, if not the only, countries that use exp. dates. Its all about the almighty $.

#9 ·
We're in the process of moving and I had/have a huge stockpile. It's not even all moved yet. I've found several so far with out of "date" dates. I'm using as I find them immediately. So far I haven't found anything that wasn't usable or what you would call even remotely questionable. My Ragu which you could see thru the glass jars was a little darker red but opened them, tasted them and tasted fine. No one died.
I think you can tell when you open them.
Me, I'd use unless dented/bulged or nasty looking.

#10 ·
My Ragu which you could see thru the glass jars was a little darker red but opened them, tasted them and tasted fine. No one died.
And I like it when the tomato product is in glass.......much better than the tin with their acidity! I have used the glass jar sauce way past the date.........and didn't even worry about it..............it was a darker color on top...........scraped it off, and continued on!

The tin and the rust will give me concern as the rust can be caused by a tiny pin hole.............then if it hisses when opened is another concern.

#11 ·
Please do NOT "taste test" even a little bit of anything questionable!!!! PLEASE!!!

It is only a buck or two worth of food, not worth risking your health for!!

That being said, we once had a can of soup and after, as I was washing the can, I saw a tiny pin hole in it!! But nothing happened.

Tomato products in glass jars are better for you than cans anyway, BPA? is it that is in the lining of the can.

#13 ·
If I question any food I toss it. Not worth the risk. BUT when I was younger I don't believe they put dates on canned goods. My parents used to keep them on shelves in the cellar. Some would get rusty. We still ate them. I still tease my parents when I'm over there and my mother pulls out something that is "past it's date." My mother's a nurse and just says "didn't kill ya to eat it years ago did it?"

#15 ·
I don't worry much about dates unless it's outdated by several years. Then I'm likely to toss it. Canned food does deteriorate over time even if it's still sealed and not bulged, and loses its nutrition so it's not going to be nourishing anyway, so what's the point in eating it?

I agree, NEVER taste anything questionable! Besides, botulism, one of the deadliest germs on Earth, has no taste, smell, or odd appearance. Tasting won't tell you if it's deadly, and if you do taste it, it doesn't take much to kill you. The risk is not worth the loss of the few pennies the food cost you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.