What do you use that is OLD?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What do you use that is OLD?

Do you have something that is really old, but you just can't throw it out, or it still works great? I know on this forum there will be lots.

I inherited and still use my parents' Sunbeam toaster, has to be at least 60 years old, better than any of the new ones.

So what do you have that makes your friends say "It's HOW old??"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our sofa is over 35 years old. The upholstery is a mess due to kitty cats using it for a scratching post but with a pretty slipcover it is fine. Still is comfortable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Besides myself?

Are we talking vintage here, or seriously ancient?

I have a lot of vintage stuff.

I use a square Griswold frying pan quite a bit. It's handy for cooking burgers because they'll fit in the corners.

I have a fourteen inch round cast iron griddle I use for cooking pizza and foccacia bread. It's over a hundred years old.

I have lots of old cast iron. That stuff lasts forever and gets better with age and use.

I have old cookbooks from the forties and newer I use when I'm looking for stuff I can't find in newer cookbooks.

I have an antique rug beater I use sometimes. I got it for a dime at a garage sale. Very handy.

My kitchen set is a solid oak antique table and chairs.

I bought an old cast iron floor grate and installed it as a foot scraper on our outside landing. I think I paid $2 for that.

The dishes in our camper are the same ones my husband's family used since the 1950's. They're trusty old Melmac-style stuff.

I could do this all day long, but I can't think of all the old stuff I routinely use!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have my grandmothers large cast iron deep skillet w/lid. It's about 70 years old. My revere ware pans are about 35 years old....as is my silverware.

Lots of hand me down furniture....most of my clothes are 3-5 years old.
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an antique dresser, dish cupboard, pie safe, rocking chair that I use regularly. Also one of the old peddle type sewing machines but I don't use it. Inherited it all when my grandma passed away.

I have a couple of old spatulas that were my grandma's. Not sure how old but I am 42 and she had them as far back as I can remember.

I have a set of dishes in my camper that my grandma gave me years ago. They are ugly and I never used them in the house so I moved them to camper lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    Do you have something that is really old, but you just can't throw it out, or it still works great? I know on this forum there will be lots.

I inherited and still use my parents' Sunbeam toaster, has to be at least 60 years old, better than any of the new ones.

So what do you have that makes your friends say "It's HOW old??"
    Even this title made me laugh...............like SD said.........you mean besides ME and everything in my house??

I have my mom and dad's blender and her mixer............BOTH GOLD COLORED. Don't use the mixer very often (prefer my hand held) but do use the blender. And if ONE old one wasn't enough...my sister gave me her blender. Hey...........I still use my OLD STOVE/OVEN and love it.........dread the day I have to remodel because it died!

Plus..........and this is the one piece of furniture I LOVE and don't even allow the dogs on it..............I have my parent's REALLY OLD rocking chair that still has the original wood rockers on it (solid and not broken)........but I DID have it recovered. The neat thing is.............they got it as a WEDDING GIFT from my g-pa bro. and it was USED WHEN HE GAVE IT TO THEM!!! The guy that recovered it figured it could be early 1900's. He took about four or five layers of material off it when I had it recovered. I know my parents had it recovered once.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just made couch cushion covers for our camper from a 1950's canvas tent. Does that count?
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the title made me laugh...
    I sleep in a handmade bed- story is that aunt rosie *who passed at 99 her dh built it for her for their wedding* was too frail to get up/down off it so her son removed a ft from each post- and since I was five when it came to our possession. it's over 100 yrs old
    I have my gggm-s cast iron skillets, bean pot, kettle, dutch oven. and what my mom bought me many yrs ago BEFORE the CI became heavy.
    I've got a WagnerWare Sydney #8 and a griswold that were my grandma's
    a griddle pan I found at a yrd sale paid $2 and it's 70 yrs old.
    I have at my mother's house a mirrored dresser my grandpa built for my grandma, a Singer pedal sewing machine- not sure the production yr, a hall tree that my ggf built.
    and dd sleeps on the iron bed that her dad used as a child-
    and I use a chiffon robe that belonged to dh's aunt (fil gave it to me to clean out his storage building-it needs to be refurbished someone got happy with the weird brown/orangish paint.
    I have a handmade peterpan quilt from my nanny that is 44yrs old- mom's got one that evennow I'm only allowed to hear about in hushed whispers- my ggm wedding quilt.
    i've got some old coins I think the oldest is 1910 mercury dime.
    and I have my grandma's 'Cat eye' Glasses.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm still driving a 15 year old car. I have my share of old cast iron and vintage Fire King, etc. in the kitchen. Some furniture that belonged to my grandparents.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of my pots, pans, baking dishes, utensils, etc. came from estate auctions so I'm guessing everything is over 50 years old. I have a really nice heavy stainless utensil set complete with a rack for hanging that I got as a wedding gift 52 years ago that I still use daily. Newer utensils have come and gone but the old ones just keep working. I have my grandmother's butter churn which has to be from 1930's plus lots of old canning jars from 1930's, 1940's, 1950's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, yeah, old canning jars, tons of them.

I have two vintage aluminum pressure cookers too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a bunch of things at a convent that closed. I guess 50 years plus. I never really know how old.
    Ds got a toaster oven from me for college I bought off an old man and it must be 40+ years.
    We just replaced our 18yr. old mattress,DD's 18 year old bed and lost our 15yr old cat and 14 years old dog.
    i have lots of old cookbooks from the 40's and 50's.
    I got a lot of vintage sewing supplies we use
    I used my baby quilt on my Ds until it fell apart from washing (everyone yelled at me).
    Our van is only eight. it's a baby.lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have and use my grandmother's buffet (side table) . She got it as a wedding gift when she married in 1927. I have an antique set of dishes that were given to me by a teacher when I was in HS - these are pre WWI Germany pieces. I use them at least once a month, as I love them.

I have vintage egg beaters, potato mashers, Foley's food mills that I've acquired at yard sales or auctions. I use them almost daily in my cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

95% of all our furniture is older than me.
    90% of our dishes our older than me.

Oldest blanket in daily use is a blanket my mother made with a neighbor for me when I was 4. I remember picking out the material and watching my mom and the neighbor stretch and tie it.

Oldest set of sheets in daily use is 14 years old although the set never had a pillow slip. The one we use is nearly as old as me. My mom bought it for my bed after I out grew the crib. Bought it from the sears catalog

Oldest electronic item is my radio. We use it daily. I revieved it as a present when I was eight.

One vechile is 23 years old. The other is 11

Our house is nearly 100 years old.

Oldest thing I own is the family baby spoon. It has feed 5 generations of babies.
    Last edited by imagine; 08-01-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the cast iron skillet that my Grandpa made himeself. He passed in the early 80's. I collect vintage kitchen stuff and i do use that stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast