Great deals today and a question......
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Great deals today and a question......

The locally owned grocery store in a town near us has Friday-Saturday sales every week. Today I went in and got hamburger for 1.69 a pound and boneless pork loins for 1.89 a pound. I had them slice the loin into chops. I ended up with 23 packs of hamburger and 5 packs of chops for the freezer. They sliced the chops a little thicker than I wanted or I would have had more. Wish I could have scraped up more money to get more hamburger but it's not possible this week.

Now for my question..... My mom ran onto a great deal at Kroger about a month ago. She found whole milk for .99 a gallon because they were overstocked. She got me five and I put four in the deep freezer. I have never frozen milk before but I know people do. A couple of weeks later our power was out for 11 1/2 days. We ran the generator for 2 hours, then 2 hours off for several of those days. Then there were about 4 days that we turned it off for 6-8 hours at a time at night. Would that milk still be ok to thaw and use? Surely it wouldn't have thawed in that amount of time would it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would think it wouldn't of thawed. I freeze milk quite a bit and a half gallon frozen takes almost 24 hours to thaw in a refrigerator. That is just my experience. Hope that helps.
    Becky

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Decided to go back for two more big packs of hamburger. 8 more packs for the freezer plus hamburgers for supper tonight!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If the freezer was full and no one opened it, it should be fine.

In order for the milk to actually spoil, it would have to be completely thawed and over forty degrees for at least several hours. If it simply thawed but stayed at forty or below, or partially thawed and then froze again when the freezer came back on, that wouldn't hurt a thing. It takes forever to fully thaw a gallon of milk, even longer if it's with other frozen stuff.

Sour milk is easy to detect so if there's anything wrong, you will smell or taste it.

I'm envious of 99 cent milk!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was a rare deal for sure. Mom just happened to be in Kroger (and on her way over here) when they made the announcement that they were overstocked and marking it down to .99. It was dated a week ahead too. I used one but decided to try freezing it. I figured if we don't like the way it tastes to drink it I can cook and bake with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SOME GREAT PRICES!!! Can't remember the last time any of our hamburger was below $2............and the milk???

Just heard tonight on the news that we can expect from 4 1/2 to 5% increase in milk, beef, pork, and etc..............so way to go!!

Agree w/SD............you will know if the milk is bad.......the smell! Or....pour a little bit in a tablespoon.........if it is 'just starting' to turn it will have white 'lumps' in it..........the smell might not quite be there yet.