How to keep it all straight and stay motivated?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How to keep it all straight and stay motivated?

With the August renew your vows challenge, It got me thinking how do you keep all your daily/weekly/monthly goals a prority each day? I want to get so much done but it just seems I flowder and don't get any of it done!

So how do you stay on track for your goals all year long? Any tricks?
    Mom to Duramax
    Wife to ChevyMan

2014 Goals
    Reading challenge
    Declutter challenge
    emergency preparedness
    52 week money challenge
    Homesteading challenge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my goodness....I know what you mean. I have been writing down my goals daily on my notepad that goes with me EVERYWHERE, and on our monthly budget calender I write down our monthly goals. Not that I actually hit them all the time, but at least I write them, see them and acknowledge them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As I am a VERY visual/hands on person, I find recording everyting helps immensly. For instance, for our various savings goals, I have a notebook with the goals for each category for the year written down, then I have a page for each goal, I track monthly what we've saved. I recently started a 'to do/to call' list for every week, I keep it on the fridge. I also track my weight- haven't made much progress there lately, but at least writing it down week to week helps me take a truthful look at my progress (or ack there of).

Havign a system to visually track my various goals, and my progress helps keep me going. I get a great sense of pride to see things moving along as I wanted them to.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $143,239.43
    Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2066.45

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a budget month by month. At the bottom is the outstanding category w/ things I'd like to buy soon.
    I write a projected budget for guidelines and then rewrite the actual after
    I keep it in a binder. I can look at last year and keep an eye on whats coming. Things that aren't usual fixed expenses but come every year at that time. Like yearly premiums on my life ins. in Aug. or winterizing,a holiday budget or replacing a furnace and water filter.
    i have been doing this binder bit for years and am still tweaking.
    I have to make a to do list daily or i get distracted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    I have to make a to do list daily or i get distracted.
    Yes, same here. When I have no list, I still get things done but it isn't always the PRIORITY things that need to be done. The list keeps me 'on track'.

And if I don't finish the list for that day...........it stays on the list and moves to the next day. I am always careful to not overload with too much that I have no chance of accomplishing in one day. If you make a huge list that you have no chance of doing I think it adds to the overwhelmed feeling that we all can get.

I think ANYTHING...........budget.........to do.........shopping........whatever..........seems smaller when broken down into smaller segments.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

exactly FF. And if i do something else i put it on the list and cross it off so at the end of the day I feel the accomplishments not wallow in the left behind chores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have found what works for most things by trial and error. I used to track my weight in a notebook I kept in my nightstand, but that didn't work. I tried another foodlogging website that I would name here but is apparently marked as spam, and that didn't work. What I found DOES work for me is writing on my kitchen calendar every morning.

Same thing for other areas of my life. I find I keep my "to do" list moving along by posting here on the "August To Do" thread. I keep my finances in line by tracking them on NetworthIQ.

I don't know why, but something are easier for me to do online, some things I keep track of on my iPad, some things I do better with a journal and plain old pencil and paper. I do know that in each case I usually try a few different ways before I hit upon what works.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    exactly FF. And if i do something else i put it on the list and cross it off so at the end of the day I feel the accomplishments not wallow in the left behind chores.
    That is a good idea..........haven't done that. Guess I just keep them in my head, and know what I got done.........sometimes rather disgusted that I didn't stay 'on track' but other times...........know that it couldn't be helped.

IE: I have something on my list today.............that has been there since Tuesday BUT because I 'got ahead' on other days........that is the only thing on the list.........so, am fine with that.

I get much more 'overwhelmed' with my summer lists, that I do my winter..............the outside and inside stuff keeps me busy....and then to add the 'errands'.........it gets pretty crazy!