Last, but not least, Potatoes bringing up the rear....
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Last, but not least, Potatoes bringing up the rear....

And finally we get to potatoes. The poor little fellows get such a bad wrap these days.

White, Baby New, Sweet.... they all deserve our attention.

Everyone knows that homemade is better than anything dumped from a box.

Looking for quick, easy add-ins for potato side dishes.

Come on and share those family recipes ~ Let's take back our kitchens. Our wallets and our health will have nothing to do but thank us!

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our favorite potato dishes

Fried with onions in them
    Homemade Au Gratin (will post recipe if anyone wants it)
    I like them with mushroom soup
    I make a dish with shredded potatoes, sour cream and cheddar cheese
    We eat them mashed
    Boiled with butter
    Boiled in the skins, then peeled and smashed up on your plate with butter
    Baked in the crockpot
    In potato salad
    Leftover baked sliced and fried in a little butter

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ok this is a method but it is yummy fry your potaotes and onions until 90% done add a 4 eggs cook until over easy or medium...yummy
    potatoe and corn chowder yummy with bacon or ham or niether with cornbread yummy
    leftover mashe potatoes then a layer of sauteed onions and swiss cheese. then more potatoes and top with cheese. yummy
    creamed potaotes new potatoes boiled until soft cover with white sauce and frozen peas or green onions..yummy
    mashed tater mix ins, cheese, green onions, bacon, sour cream, garlic spread, cream cheese, chicken broth reather than milk...
    baked sweet potaotes scrub tater rub mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SS
    I grew potatoes for the first time this year and they say to dig them up when the leaves start dying. Is that what you did?

oheoh and wv your recipes sound great. I love potatoes!!!

I just made baked sweet potato fries for the 2nd time. I used salt, pepper and seasoning salt. They were so much better than I expected!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Potato skins
    Homemade baked fries with salt pepper olive oil and garlic powder
    Latkes
    Make left over mashed potatoes into a shepherds pie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hashbrown scramble - Fry up some diced potatoes. Add in some sort of cooked meat (I have used lunchmeat, sausage, bacon bits, sausage that no one liked but thought was fabulous in this dish - ssshhh, don't tell them that I snuck it in like that) and let it warm. Beat a few eggs and pour over the mixture. Make sure that the eggs coat everything. Fry up the egg and serve. You can add in onions or garlic. Some of the guys like cheese sprinkled over it.

Spiced mashed potatoes - Boil the potatoes and drain the water. Add in a block of cream cheese (okokok, remember that I cook for a small army, we do up about 8ish lbs of potatoes when we make them. Reduce the cream cheese accordingly for the amount that you would make for your "army"). If you have a dab of sour cream or any frozen, this is a good way to use it up. Add in some garlic (okokok, lots and lots of garlic) and a little butter. If it needs a little more liquid, add in some milk or more butter. We tend to use just rosemary as the "spice". Oh yeah, another little side note: We don't peel the potatoes when we make this. It gives it a "rustic" quality and, you know, I am lazy. Peeling that many potatoes would drive me batty. Besides, that is where all the nutrition is, right?
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    SS
    I grew potatoes for the first time this year and they say to dig them up when the leaves start dying. Is that what you did?
    I didn't grow any this year. In fact, I have never grown any. Don't potatoes come from the grocery store??? ~ lol

Maybe next year I will give them a try...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dad loved potatoes and one year he had a bumper crop of 1200 Lbs.The neighbors let him put them in their cellar they fed all of us until the next crop was ready to dig.He would put them in burlap 100 lb. sacks that he got from a feed store.And yes he dug them when the vines were dying, us kids would pick them up and help carry them to the truck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is one of our favorite recipes for potatoes (I have to make our own ranch dressing mix and condensed soup as we're gluten free).

Slow Cooker Ranch Potatoes | Better Recipes

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Small Red Potatoes,quartered
    1× 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese, softened
    1 Envelope Buttermilk Ranch Mix
    1× 10¾ oz can Condensed Cream of Potato Soup

DIRECTIONS:
    Place potatoes in crock pot. In small bowl, combine cream cheese and ranch mix. Stir in soup. Add to potatoes. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-9 hours or on high for 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours. Stir to blend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    This is one of our favorite recipes for potatoes (I have to make our own ranch dressing mix and condensed soup as we're gluten free).

Slow Cooker Ranch Potatoes | Better Recipes

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Small Red Potatoes,quartered
    1× 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese, softened
    1 Envelope Buttermilk Ranch Mix
    1× 10¾ oz can Condensed Cream of Potato Soup

DIRECTIONS:
    Place potatoes in crock pot. In small bowl, combine cream cheese and ranch mix. Stir in soup. Add to potatoes. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-9 hours or on high for 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours. Stir to blend.
    I detest potato but I know my dh and boys will love this combo! They all love potatoes and ranch. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make a mean pulled pork and it is best when served over a baked potato. I put a pork butt or shoulder in the crockpot, sprinkle it with Montreal steak seasoning, leave in CP for about 6 hours on low. Shred and then add half a bottle of jack daniels BBQ sauce and a half bottle of Famous Dave's BBQ sauce and warm the sauces through, the combination of the two sauces works perfectly as one is too sweet and one is too spicy, lol. Makes a ton of pork, great for a party or large family and I always have the leftovers on potatoes, either mashed or baked.

Also, I like to make twice baked potatoes by baking the potatoes, scoop out the flesh and mash with butter, milk, cheddar cheese, and some bacon or real bacon bits, then add back to the skins and bake for a bit to melt the cheese.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

POTATO & CHEESE CASSEROLE

2 lb. bag frozen hash browns, thawed (just run them under hot water) OR 5 lbs peeled & diced potatoes of your choice, cooked almost done.
    1 lb. grated Velveeta cheese
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 stick butter, melted
    8 oz. carton sour cream

Melt butter & add soup & sour cream to it & mix well. Stir in thawed hash browns (or pre-cooked potatoes) & cheese. Pour in a 9”x13” buttered baking dish & bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.