Frugal Village Forums banner

Anyone else have a full spectrum light - for SAD?

938 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Hamada 
#1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a small full spectrum light. Even though I get outside and exercise in the winter by the time February/March rolls around I am definately in a funk. Would like to avoid this. Was wondering is anyone else has a full spectrum light they use and if so what the brand is.

#2 ·
I bought one last winter and used it every morning. It is a Philips goLITE, I think I got it at Amazon...
It has a 15 minute timer. It's nice and small, I would set it on the table while I drank my coffee and shine it one side of my face. When the time was up, it shut off.

I can't say for sure that I changed anything, but I felt better using it. I'm not sure if that was because of the light or because I knew I was using the light. Anyway, I will use it again this winter.

#3 ·
Our winters are often dark and dreary, too. We did not originally buy our Aerogardens to use as mood lifters, but that has been an unexpected and very much welcomed bonus. We did not use them last winter, and we both noticed the difference. We felt more tired than when we had several of them running. The grow lights use full-spectrum bulbs.

In addition to the lighting, we get the benefit of fresh, organic produce. We do not save any grocery money growing organic veggies, herbs, and flowers, but for us it's worth it not only for the light, but also for the fresh flowers and just to see green, growing things when the world is all white outside and days are short and cloudy.

#7 ·
I have the tubular lights in my living room, an use the philips full spectrum grow lights in them. I'm thinking about replacing the one in my kitchen also. The price of the bulbs don't seem that much more than what I've been spending any way. And the florescent tube type in the living room has lasted 1 year and a half and counting.
Also we get to use it to grow tomatoes and peppers in the living room like flowers. LOL

#9 ·
I ended up purchasing two full spectrum grow light bulbs. Realize they are not for SAD but will see how they work. I do plan on getting outside during the winter. The other day I had the blinds open and it was an overcast day. The lighting I have really didn't seem to brighten up the room very much. I did find a full spectrum bulb on clearance at CVS and the light is definately different than what I am currently using.

#10 ·
They make those for reptiles. They're super cheap in comparison to the human ones. I used to buy them for my iguanas because they need sunlight for VitaminD production otherwise they get rickets, just like people do.

#14 ·
Have not received the bulbs I ordered. At CVS I did purchase some full spectrum light bulbs one of the bulbs I purchased 1/2 off. Have to say the lighting is brighter inside with it being gray and overcast outside. Feels like a bright sunny day inside. Hopefully they will help to keep the gloomy winter days at bay. Would rather pay a slightly higher electric bill then get cranky by the end of winter. Can't wait to get the bulbs that I ordered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.