Frugal Village Forums banner

New Pellet Stove

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  brenda67 
#1 ·
Well it is installed and running and I must say this is great.The house is warm and cozy and I loaded up the hopper with pellets and I don't have to do a thing but enjoy.After years of the work and mess of a woodstove,this is so clean and easy.Should have bought this years ago.

#6 ·
This stove replaced my wood stove which was used as a supplimental heat source.I still use oil,but very little(about $350.00 a season) as the only time it would come on is at night when I let the stove go out.This pellet stove can stay running so may just save even more in oil.It is estimated that I will use 4000 lbs of pellets,depending on the winter we get.These cost me $530.00.
This is the first year with the pellet stove so I will know more at the end of the heating season.It sure is nice not having to deal with the wood,this is virtually work free,and with the price of a cord of wood rising seems to be cheaper than wood to run.Everyone I have talked to loves theirs.

#5 ·
I love our pellet stove. We have oil heat so we play it back and forth by whatever is cheapest at the time. If it's oil then we run that if oil's high we run the pellet stove primarily. We have 2 high velocity fans that we run to circulate the heat thru to other areas of the house. Wish we had ceiling fans, but don't want to ruin the pine ceilings cutting into them to install fans. It's so cozy and toasty. I have 3 cats and it's funny seeing them all snuggled up nice and warm. Enjoy your new stove!!

#10 ·
You'll love that your pellet stove is so much cleaner. Ours is thermostat controlled. My parents have a woodstove at their 2nd home and I think it's just burns dirtier. If that makes sense - I'm always stuffy/congested around it altho I love the warmth. The pellet stove we have is an insert where our fireplace was and I feel fine when it's on - no stuffiness. The 1st year we got it (2009?) DH ordered 3 tons pellets to be delivered - we still have a pallet full. I'm sure you already know, but if you order your pellets in like July it's much cheaper. DH won't just get them locally as the places around here leave them out in all sorts of weather and he doesn't like that. He's anal about this stuff - LOL!

#11 ·
We just purchased a pellet stove as well, we got the Heatilator CAB50 model. A pallet of pellets (say that 10 times fast - LOL!) is $280.00 and that should last at least 50 days, depending how we heat etc. I can't wait to get it home and get it hooked up. Our other heat source is propane and it is SO EXPENSIVE! I'm thinking that the pellet stove will pay for itself in under three years.

Which ones to others here own and how do you all find the ease of operation and use? I'm new too all of this. This is the first house I've ever lived in that wasn't serviced with natural gas (which compared to propane is free - LOL!)

#13 ·
It's funny seeing my 3 kitties curled up in front of the stove. I go to pat them and they feel like they are on fire! They love the warmth. I especially loved it this a.m. after going to DS's soccer game in 30 degrees it took me awhile in front of the stove to thaw!

#15 ·
I don't think you made a mistake with a woodstove. If we lose power we have a battery backup for the pellet stove, but it's only good for so long. We have a generator, but DH is careful about how long he'll run it. With a woodstove you'll have heat no matter what. I didn't want the woodstove bcuz it's dirtier altho I hear the newer ones are much cleaner and also I didn't want a woodpile bcuz I'm a wimp and am terrified of snakes. A guy here got bit by a timber rattler in his wood pile and almost lost his leg. Yes, I know I'm crazy.

#16 ·
We also have a generator and I wouldn't be with out one imho...I'm fortunate that I have 3 strong son's along with a dh that can handle the wood situation..A woodpile wouldn't bother me at all..We are also lucky to not have alot snakes.I think because we let my chicken's & guinea hens free range and they both dislike snakes they kill them and eat them..I am curious if you can cook on it or not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.