Frugal Village Forums banner

Better Rush to the Goodwill and Salvation Army Stores

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  SueBee49 
#1 ·
Just watched Katie Couric. The show was about people making money/their living as entrepreneurs. The first guest was a former television producer that is now haunting thrift stores, GW, etc., dumpster diving and ultimately making $10,000 per month selling the clothes she finds.

Now millions of people are going to be flocking to our stores. I'm forecasting a run on Goodwill! :lol: :)

Another woman talked about making money online. One site recommendation some may want to look at was taskrabbit.com

I looked at it. Interesting. You might want to check Katies site for other online things they discussed.

#2 ·
~About five years ago I saw a very clever young lady thriving an online business as a thrift stylist. She picked up all her finds at thrifts, consignments and yard sales, put them together into outfits including accessories and used herself and a few different sized friends to model the items. Her spunky sense of style and creative pictures allowed her to sell the outfits for $100 and up. She couldn't have spent more than $25 on any given outfit but the outfits looked like the several hundred dollars she asked for them. I thought that was awesome at the time and have seen many similar entrepreneurs do the same thing in the past few years.~

#3 ·
That's what this woman was saying today...pick something up for 50 cents and sell it online for 50 dollars. I wish I had the talent. I'm one of these...black and white go together. Navy and white...red and white...

You know the type. Have to have a helper to coordinate. :)

Reactions: NikoSan999
#4 ·
DD makes money buying vintage junk jewelry from G.sales and redesigning the pieces in a more contemporary. Theres a name but i forget. (upcycling)
Besides it takes a certain personality and drive to do that kind of thing. I have yet to ever put anything online I bought to do it.

I was going to be a storage unit buyer too long before the shows.
Just too lazy and not enough need.

#8 ·
GRRAnimals for adults. That's exactly what I need! LOL
I usually look pretty good and polished. As long as it's black and white, blue and white...And as for jewelry, someone definitely has to tell me what to wear.

This is not a joke, sad to say. Used to work with a woman that had fantastic costume jewelry. Cheap but she knew how to wear it. I started buying jewelry at random but could never coordinate. Finally, I started putting it all in a sack, taking it to work, and she'd pick out something for me to wear that day. I looked nice as long as she was there. :)

#9 ·
The thriftstore I frequent I always hear comments about ebay and how much something is selling for. Sometimes I see people with a cart full of jeans. And the next week the same person with a cart of jeans. All I can think is they are reselling it or making something really large with jeans. Maybe their own jean insulation. Across the street is a small consignment store. Haven't bought anything there since I always think I can but the same thing at the thriftstore for much less.

#11 ·
I have a friend that buys men and boys name brand clothing at thrift stores. He knows what sells. He makes a decent living reselling on eBay. You have to know your stuff. You have to wash, fold, inventory, and store the items after you take pictures and measurements and create individual listings. It is a lot of work, but money can be made.

#13 ·
Now millions of people are going to be flocking to our stores. I'm forecasting a run on Goodwill! :lol: :)

Good............as long as they stay at Goodwill.....:laugh:..............that is fine...........I like Salvation Army better.........though I go to both.

We just had our library book sale and it was CRAZY WITH RE-SELLERS.............one guy comes in all the time that I 'tease with'........he sells the Harlequin by the GOBS...............and creates quite the "debate" with the 'worker bees'..............one gal gets her dander up when she sees him......my comment is always........."hey, we get our money.... what is your bitch?" I say for ANY of them...........if they are willing to put in the time, effort, and cost to make the money...........then GO FOR IT!! Years ago I sold on Ebay..........and it takes some real work and dedication to do it "seriously".........

This job (I volunteer!!) could get a little 'hairy'.........they just made her treasurer and you would think the money was coming out of her pocket...........gotta be sure to go to the next meeting.............I usually don't go.

#14 ·
i have made $$$ on clothing from GW and SA and childrens resale shops...if you happen to find top brand names, buy it cheap, dryclean it and consignit! ie - i bought 2 halter ann taylor dresses at SA for $2.99 - drycleaned them, wore them both once and was able consign them and i made $25.....i have lots that i have done that with...

i buy most of dd's clothing a SA but i only buy hollister justice abecrombie aero......she wears some and some i just wash and resell. if i buy tshirts for .99 and then turn around and sell them for $3/ea, i make a profit!!!

#15 ·
lisaflex, that is what the woman on the show was doing yesterday. She had on a beautiful yellow outfit - don't recall if she found it in a dumpster or purchased at a thrift store - but said she would wear it a few times, clean it, and resell for a big profit.

This woman was in NYC and said something about the showrooms throwing out clothes in perfect condition or things with perhaps a missing button/ripped seam. Those she repairs and sells. She did talk about the fact that it is literally a JOB. Hard work in many respects. Requires a lot of "vision" as to what can be done with an item as well as organizational skills. It is time consuming to find, clean, repair as necessary, organize, photograph, put the items online, respond to peoples questions, pack, ship, etc. In fact, one person was there to offer advice to the entrepreneurs and she suggested this woman hire an assistant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.