Frugal Village Forums banner

Christmas is here

1K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Nadders11 
#1 ·
Yup, have already seen Christmas items in AC Moore, Dollar Tree, and Family Dollar. Looks like another year of just decorating the fake ficus tree and putting battery operated candles in the front windows. This way I can handle all the Christmas decorations in the store and actually enjoy it.

#2 ·
Seen Christmas stuff too. Always thought its weird to have halloween and christmas decorations out at the same time.

I'm almost done shopping, gonna try to avoid the stores in December. I hate the crowds at Christmas.

#3 ·
Oh heck, Christmas stuff has been in stores like Hobby Lobby and Joann's since JUNE.

One of our local radio stations started a drive last year called the Coalition to Save Thanksgiving. In addition to a food drive, they petitioned stores like Target to NOT open at midnight on Thanksgiving, but to wait until early the following morning.

#5 ·
Same here. Been seeing Christmas stuff for a few weeks now. So what was the outcome of the drive to save Thanksgiving? I don't think their profit margins would be greatly affected by waiting until after Thanksgiving to open their doors. Some stores around here open Thanksgiving afternoon.

#4 ·
I saw a Christmas ad on Tv a few days ago. It was for Target.

#7 ·
Don't have Black Friday here...but I know a lot of people who travel down to the states to shop. Is Boxing Day as big down there too? Debating if I'm going to go this year...my sis and sil go at 6 am.....ya probably not lol

#11 ·
Oh, yes! Day after Christmas sales are huge. That is a day I plan to stay home and bury my head under the covers! Friends tell me huge discounts on ornaments, wrapping papers/ribbons in addition to the other things like clothes, shoes.

#13 ·
Nadders - US has Black Friday and Canada has Boxing Day. But what I've noticed is that Canada has started having Black Friday sales here to compete and the day after Christmas sales are slowly beefing up in the US. Eventually a holiday in either country will be matched just to catch everyone's hard earned money.

I hope to snag some sort of deals on Black Friday (going to US for their Thanksgiving) but we don't really 'need' anything - right now. There's a mental list going on of stuff that we *will* need but since it's not a top priority, it can idle until its really needed or its a really good bargain.

#18 ·
I have not seen stores decorated for Christmas. Have not seen decoration out either. Maybe they are tucked in a corner I am missing?

#21 ·
I hate those blow up decorations too...but sadly inside my house is getting a bit tacky. I have a small house I like to go all out for Christmas. I have fond memories of making our house real tacky at Christmas with my mom. Hoping my kids remember our house as tacky...but really fun to decorate.

#24 ·
My kids always told me that my house at Christmas time always looked like the Elves were on crack and went crazy ;), but I know they liked it. Our youngest is the only one tho' that is big in to Christmas and Christmas decorating like me. She is so excited this year, cos' she is in her first place and gets to do it on her own.

Reactions: Nadders11
#22 ·
They're playing christmas songs on the radio already! Can you believe it? I had dinner with a friend this evening and the restaurant played one. I was so shocked. And then we got in the car and one came on the radio. I changed the channel so fast. I mean, it's not even halloween yet!

#25 ·
nooo. Say it isn't so
here Christmas music on Radios until after Thanksgiving. That said I did here one on the radio it caught my attention because it was odd. It ended up being an advertisement for a Christmas time charity that needed to collect now as they were sending the items over seas.

#23 ·
We have a neighbor that has a little front yard, about 15 feet by 20 feet and they squeeze in at least 5 of those blow up things and not small ones. It doesn't look festive, it looks more like a cluttered mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.