Frugal Village Forums banner

Trying not to cry..A proud parent moment!

472 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  brenda67 
#1 ·
My youngest son just got a job working with his brother at a pizza place as a dishwasher..Now all 3 of my fella'a have jobs..Dustin was very nervous and told me he thought he needed to take some advil because he was getting a headache poor fella..he is at work right now (where Kody will show him the ropes..Kody will basically tell him what to do..that was Kody's position for 2 yrs..now he is the cook..and very much a perfectionist..Dustin is pretty much a slop..lol..but Kody will not tolerate this so I'm sure Dustin will dk a good job.) both boy's should be home around 10:30 tonight..I like the fact that Dustin can just ride to & from work with Kody..it only takes 8 minutes to get to their job..I'm so proud that they were lucky enough to not only get job's that are scarce but isn't to far to travel..Brandon can/does walk to work during the day ( he starts at 4:00) then just needs to be picked up at night which is only 2 minutes away..:cloud9:

#2 ·
That's great! I think it's so important kids be able to work and develop responsibilities. And your babies are growing up. :)

Now please do me a favor...teach and make them save some or part or all of their salary. That was something I was not taught as a kid and it showed up in later life. Since you are here on FV, I'm rather confident you will instill that value.

#3 ·
I agree that they should save some if there money..However, Kody bought his first car with his own money about 3 months ago..bought ALL of his school clothes...is paying his half of the heating fuel bill..and paying us for his car insurance which is a couple hundred a month..along eith several hundred that he owes us for totalling my car!

Brandon does have some money saved but not much..he pay's us weekly x amount..he also paid the other 1/2 for the heating fuel bill..He need's to buy himself a new bed for which he will take w/ him when he leaves the nest..He mentioned to me that he needed to start saving money again..I think he will be working 5 days a week pretty soon and that will really boost his savings..

Dustin, I think now that he will know what work is all about I want him to buy his own x-box games,camo coat and whatever else he want's to buy himself for awhile since he is only working 6 hrs a week I want him to enjoy it for awhile then I'll suggest he save some money..

My children may not save alot of money but they ALL have to help out with the chores and chip in with certain bill's..I think my boy's are alot more responsible than most..

I'm very proud of them!

#5 ·
Dustin just got home..he liked it but Kody thought he needed to move a little faster lol..the owner told Dustin he did a good job and wants him to work Saturday's also...he should make around $100 after taxes & tip's working those 2 day's a week..since Dustin will be making that much a week I think I will tell him to put half into his saving's account and use the rest for whatever he wants..He still like's to listen to his mom lol..

I also like the fact that they get their food & drink for free..so that mean's that I will save a little more money and less cooking..Dustin is on a major growth spurt eating more than me & dh put together..lol

Actually, that means that I should be saving quite a bit on food..mon - fri Kody & Dustin are in school..Kody work's 5 day's a week (nights)..Brandon works 3 to 5 days a week (nights)...Dustin 2- day's a week (nights)..Brandon also gets his food for free...

#6 ·
Brenda, your boys have already shown great responsibility by finding jobs! That's not an easy task for a teen in this day and age.

The only reason I mention saving a portion of their salaries is because that isn't something I was taught as a child or teenager. As a result, I never recognized the importance of saving for...anything. Just a few days ago, some very young person on this board mentioned something about putting a huge sum of money into a retirement account and I just sat here shaking my head and thinking I wish I had had the good sense to save even a little bit - starting years ago. I sincerely believe those types of values are taught from a very young age. I also think you're right in wanting the boys to enjoy the fruits of their labors. :)

Reactions: brenda67
#7 ·
Oh SueBee...I'm in total agreement with you..I was not taught about saving money either..I hate to admit that I didn't learn to really save money until .I was 26yrs old when I was out on my own and had to pay my own bills..it was kinda of scary but it made me who I am today..wierd that you should mention this because Brandon & Kody both said a little while ago that they are going to start saving their money...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.