Electric Heater broke. What next?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Electric Heater broke. What next?

We have been having a string of bad luck around here. Furnace is starting to go and hot water heater is leaking. My health was bad for two months and then our plumbing had issues and now our only good electric heater (there is no heating ducts leading to the upstairs in our house so we use an energy efficient space heater) sparked flames at 3am last night and now I am freezing. Our furnace needs a tune up and we havent had our oil delivered yet so the house is very cold. While we wait for my husbands pay next week we've been using space heaters. I live in NY and its starting to get cold. That heater we bought was 40 dollars and literally don't have the money with everything else that is going and like i said there is no heat in the upstairs when the furnance is running. So now today i am freezing all day here at home and don't know where to get a cheap heater.

Any advice?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Close the doors to the rooms you're not using. Hot water bottles on you will keep you toasty, or rice/wheat bags. I'd be worried about pipes freezing, so I would make getting furnace going a priority ASAP.

Try using only one room, to keep the heat in there, drape blankets over doorways. Candles can generate a little heat too. If you can, use the crockpot in the room you're in, double duty...supper and some heat . It will radiate heat, paired with the doors closed, it can make it cozy.

Good luck to you!
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If the furnace will operate safely, get your oil delivered and start the furnace. If it won't, get it fixed and have them bill you, get the oil delivered, and crank it up. With winter coming, stopgaps aren't going to help much. Either you will be able to pay the bill in full in a few days and should be able to make that arrangement with your oil company, or you will need to go on a payment plan. With no other heat source, not fixing the furnace and not getting heating oil isn't an option.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At the end of last season our chimney got blocked and and the furnace put a lot of soot into our house. We had them fix it but no one bothered to clean out the duct work and the soot i just barely got off everything and we need to repaint the ivory trim of our house because the soot just ruined it. So I am afraid to run it until we can get the money for someone to come clean it and service it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And part of he reason its taken so long is all the stuff we have going on. I forgot to mention that our livingroom ceiling tiles also came down. What a project!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ceiling tiles and paint can wait. Get the ducts cleaned and start the furnace. It's almost the end of November and you will have to start the furnace in the next week or so anyway.

Doesn't your homeowner's insurance cover the cleaning and repainting from the soot?
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my, it doesn't sound like Paradise.....hope you get some heat soon....hate being cold...be careful with electric heaters....they can be dangerous....good luck...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am pretty sure our homeowners insurance won't cover it. But, I am not sure. And yes, I know the furnace is the priority. Its just been so frustrating because the living room is where the front door is and my husband is a do it yourselfer and so instead of just stapling the tiles back up, he decided to tear down the whole ceiling-plaster and lathe and all and restore the original wood beams. He started at the beginning of September thinking he had plenty of time before the cold weather and would be done in a few weeks....and here we are at the middle of November and he's about a week away from completion. As I said we haven't had the money but another huge factor is that like I said the door to our house takes you to the living room and to get to the furnace you have to go through there so with the fact that it was an absolute war zone in there, it didnt seem possible to have 23 maintenance guys trying to maneuver through.

Thanks for all your suggests and comments as they are appreciated! But, I guess you can well imagine how frustrating this all has been. I've not had a living room in months and we are hosting Thanksgiving this year! Such a string of bad/dumb luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormpeg View Post
    Oh my, it doesn't sound like Paradise.....hope you get some heat soon....hate being cold...be careful with electric heaters....they can be dangerous....good luck...
    To be honest we have gone through times of trying to be frugal and the times of just "throw the expense on a credit card". We just started getting back into frugal mode when basically the whole house came down with massive aches and pains! Someone doesn't like our frugal plans :O

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Alright I found a simple guide on how to clean out the air ducts ourselves and I think we have all the tools necessary so that will save us money right there and we shouldn't, according to the websites I have read need the whole system maintenanced until next year since we just had it done this past year. Soooo....maybe when hubby comes home today I can convince him to try this? Hope it doesn't take months! lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my gosh.....can my life get anymore messed up lol. My son just plugged the toilet and when i went to fix it, doing what normally works didnt and it overflowed everywhere and ran down the walls in the downstairs bathroom and bedroom. I finally got o the switch but it overflowed so fast i couldn't think. Starting to wonder if I broke a mirror recently :/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might check to see if you electric heater has a fuse, If you are lucky you can just relace it.

Hang in there, we have the same stuff going on here, if it isn't one thing its another... take one thing at a time and remember to take a breath here and there.

You might try craigs list or GW to see if you can find a cheap one to get you by for awhile.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time! Just try and take it one day at a time...sounds like cleaning the furnace should be easy. Sending your lots of hugs and positive vibes
    Wife to Matthew
    Stepmom to Dean and Dillon
    Mommy to furbabies Ozzie, Casanova, and Louie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Murphy has hit you with all his might. Hope he moves on soon. That's a lot of bad luck. Like Pinetree ... we've hit it too. Murphy sucks
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/July
    $198.62

Coupons for Year / $745.54

July/ Grocery
    $154.95 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/20

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/15

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby was able to at least fix the broken part in the toilet....small victories lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast