Frugal Village Forums banner

English 101 ........ Help Bev !!!!!!!

Tags
101 bev english
2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  MJsLady 
#1 ·
Ok, first of all, I think a "car boot" is the trunk of a car .... Is that right Bev ??????????????????
Do people really have their sales from the boot of their cars rather than in the yard ???????????

#3 ·
I think it is the trunk of a car. I believe a "car boot sale" is something like a flea market in the states. It is a gathering of people with things to sell. I am guessing it would be like a rummage sale at a parking lot, with everyone selling from their cars. I am guessing that they set up tables also.

#4 ·
Yes the 'car boot' is the trunk of a car, I don't know about the sales though. :)

But while we are at it, what are 'Bangers and Mash'???? :laugh:

#6 ·
LOL ~ I'm so happy you don't know ;) I'm wicked aren't I LOL but half of what you say I haven't got a clue what you're on about ~ gosh aren't we different considering we all speak the same language, it amazes me still and often!

For instance I don't have a clue about coupon trading we don't use or have coupons here for anything and we don't stockpile either (I'd NEVER heard of it!) Anyway you don't care do you, you're just dying to know LOL.

I.M.Cheap has it right ~ a car boot is the trunk of the car but it's just a name we give to the sales. Someone (making a fortune) will hire a field or car park, sometimes school playgrounds etc (any large space) and advertise it in the local paper, but we have regular ones that are always on every week and then you sort out your clutter and take it in your car and set up a table, rails etc and sell to the people that come. Next time I go I'll take a pic and post it for you ~ Everyone will think I've gone mad LOL :D

Oh and Bangers and Mash ~ Is Sausages (bangers) and Mashed Potatoe.

DH is laughing because it's so obvious to us ~ it must be like when I was begging to know what a thrift shop and dumpster diving was to you - It really is funny isn't it.

Have you noticed we have different sense of humour as well?

I am happy you asked though because I am the ONLY person here from the UK which makes me the 'wierd' odd one out LOL.

#7 ·
Oh you pay for your 'pitch' too - that's how the organizer makes all the money and they charge buyers to park their cars.

We worked it out once and we decided that they were collecting about £35,000 !!!!! AT LEAST! :eek:

I'm in the wrong job! LOL - I don't know how they set them up though you have to have trading licences or something???

#8 ·
Thanks Bev! :D

BTW, ask anything you want, the only problem is you may get many different answers from us. The same things may have different meanings in the US, it just depends on where you live! :laugh:

#9 ·
I see that heavensent 7 has already gave the answer. I just thought I would say that here in NC we have them and what it amount to is that you pay $5 or $10 and you can sell anything that you can fit into 1 vehicle. So of course the bigger the vehicle the better you are.
Jeanna in NC

#11 ·
Thanks Bev !!!!!!!!!!!!! Your are the smartest British friend I have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I love you more than anyone else in the UK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even more than Liz and Tony !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have those kind of sales too, we call them swap meets......Hey, another silly question........ I have a "$" sign on my keyboard and no "£" (copied that from your post) ......... do you have a $ sign ?????????????????????

#12 ·
I don't post very much but I'M FROM THE UK TOO! I think there are just two of us at the moment.

Car boot sales are a big industry here - it's one of the few forms of unregulated selling (eg at point of sale, although the big organisers need licences I believe) and there are great bargains to be had, but my impression is that they are also clearance places for a lot of stolen or substandard goods. Can be great fun to browse, but I'd never buy, say, electrical items this way, or anything that was obviously being sold in batches eg perfume, as some traders use car boot sales to do this when really they intended more for private individuals. Definitely Caveat Emptor at boot sales I'd say! The small ones often run by schools and other organisations as fundraisers can be good fun and I've had some good bargains at these.

'Jumble sales' used to be very popular here too but nowadays car boot sales seem to have taken over.

Bangers and mash are a favourite in our house!

Belinda:)

#13 ·
We didn't mean to leave you out Belinda......... :D
Please tell..... what is a Jumble sale ???????

#14 ·
Firstly apologies to Belinda - I hadn't forgotton about you, I haven't seen you around for so long I thought you left us - I am sorry!

A jumble sale is normally held somewhere like a church hall or school to raise funds for them, so they advertise for your jumble (to give to them) and then people can go and buy it on a certain day and time and it's surposed to be REALLY cheap (like pennys) however now everybody is doing car boots and worse still eBay, jumbles have really gone downhill. Years ago my parents found antiques at jumbles now it's usually stuff that should have been thrown straight in the bin! (although I still have to go just to make sure ;) ) AND the prices have gone up too. They're not so good anymore :(

I'm glad I'm your favourite (and smart :D ) friend. I hope I'm not the ONLY one LOL or it wouldn't be so cool ROFLMAO!

I do have both $ (above my #4) and £ (above 3) on my keyboard but there are some signs I haven't had before like copywrite sign and I found them somewhere in word. Although I can't remember how to do it right now - I'll have to look for it.

#15 ·
You are the coolest and brightest gal in all the isles Bev !!!!!! I think your super !!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they start elections for Queen, you will have my vote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

#17 ·
Okay...a carboot sale sounds like a Flea Market to me...I live realllly close to "Roger's Sale" a local flea-market that has become so large it is affectionately known as Rogers Mini-Mall. People come from all over the country for Roger's. And you MUST be very careful about "stolen" merchendise at a flea market, too!

A Jumble sale sounds like a RUMAGE sale here.

They are all the same just worded differently!

Don't cha just love it???

#18 ·
Interesting - the difference here between a Flea Market and a Car Boot Sale is that a Flea Market is held by traders, often on a semi-permanent pitch though not always (there is a huge regular one in Birmingham - the English Birmingham! - where I used to live). It's in a sort of warehouse with lots of stalls - a bric a brac market really.

Car Boot sales are *intended* for private individuals really although I think this is often abused.

A Jumble Sale is I think exactly the same think as a Rummage Sale. Twenty years ago they were very popular here in village halls etc but nowadays becoming much rarer.

I didn't feel left out:D just thought I'd remind you of my continuing presence! I don't post all that much at the moment but I do enjoy reading.

Belinda

#19 ·
I hope to see you more often Belinda !!!!!!!!!!!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.